Where's Poppa? : wow

wow

hey, sure aren't many topics here, are ther.
or comments on existing topics, for that matter
yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep...

Re: wow

I saw Where's Poppa at an arthouse when I was a teenager. Being a sheltered young soul with a thirst for worldliness I didn't understand at the time, I thught most of the movie was a little boring. I saw Harold and Maude at the same arthouse (not on the same bill, they liked to play Harold and Maude with King of Hearts), and anyway, I liked H&M better, King of Hearts, too. Still, the things I remember most about Where's Poppa was Ron Liebman in a gorilla suit, then butt-naked on a NY street corner. Also Trish Van Devere describing her wedding night.... "He made a caca in the bed" (as a product of his passion). I remember that was hilarious to me then, even more hilarious was her husband's answer to her revulsion: "Doesn't everybody?" At my tender age, that was worth the price of admission. Someday I'm going to see it again and see if I don't find it all funnier now.

Re: Dosen't everybody?

Also Trish Van Devere describing her wedding night.... "He made a caca in the bed" (as a product of his passion). I remember that was hilarious to me then, even more hilarious was her husband's answer to her revulsion: "Doesn't everybody?"
Oh my, I had totally forgotten about that scene. This movie was a little before my time, but I saw it years later. I've always liked it and wondered why so few people have seen it. In any event, that line: "Doesn't everybody?" has always cracked me up!!!! In fact, that entire scene cracks me up! I also love the scene where he brings Louise over to meet Mrs. Hocheiser. Funny stuff, and George Segal is brilliant with his deadpan delivery. Anywho, it's a rather dark comedy, but quite enjoyable to watch. Enjoyed your comments, and thanks for reminding me of that hilarious scene! I needed that! Too funny! :) fp

"Save me, Sabrina fair. You're the only one who can."

The line in the orginal novel (which the movie follows pretty closely) is
"I always sh*t when I c*m. Doesn't everybody?"

From the first time I saw this movie, to this day, no line ever cracked me up as much as the "He made a caca on the bed" line. She tells this story slowly and deliberately, only to finish it with one of the most off-the-wall, didn't-expect-that, so-far-from-what-you-think-she-was-going-to-say finish that I don't think it can ever be topped for shear surprise. I'm amazed that 40 years later this movie can still shock and offend - and still remain so damn funny. Of course not everyone "gets it". It's a love it or hate it movie. But the ones who do love this movie, we can watch it over and over even 40 years later.....

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.