All the President's Men : my god, this was boring as hell

my god, this was boring as hell

we were forced to watch it during history and i fell asleep....quicker than usual anyway. but it was boring, no doubt. political thriller, my ass.

"dick" was so much better than this.

A

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: my god, this was boring as hell

Interesting. I'm a sixteen-year-old with a short attention span who was initially bored by the first viewing, rewatched it last night, and was completely immersed in it. Most upbeat, fast-paced films I've seen weren't able to hold my attention like this, despite its lack of music, its length, and its slow pace.

i'm sixteen as well and i found it completely boring.

A

Post deleted

I'm 16 too, I enjoyed it quite a lot, even though I was falling asleep due to it being a bit late on a school night. I definitely want to watch it again to get a firm grip on the movie.

"The world will look up and shout "save us"... and I'll whisper, no"

Good for you! I was finishing college when this happened; we despaired when Nixon was re-elected, stunned that this unfolding story was being reported on the back pages of the paper. Then slowly, inexhorably, as it unfolded and Congress finally began to respond, hold hearings, unbelievably high-ranking officials called in to testify, day after day, week after week.
You would read the hair raising details of what these people had themselves done or authorized others to do, and you couldn't believe it could get any worse, and the next day you'd open the newspaper and find out something even more shocking than the day before. They were awful and amazing times in which to be stepping into the adult world.
I was preparing to graduate as an elementary school teacher; because I had been born in Mexico, I had to apply for citizenship in order to get my teaching certificate. I'd given $50, all the money I had, to file the paperwork, but every time I read the new things that had happened, I kept thinking I wanted my money back (no flag-waving hater posts, please. Your U.S. born parents were thinking the same thing, if they weren't already in Canada themselves).
Now you know the reason for Santayana's warning that those who cannot remember the past (not History) are condemned to repeat it. It speaks volumes to why we are seeing so many violations of the system of checks and balances the founders of the Constitution tried to set up to prevent upheavals, coups and takeovers by the militia.

I'm 16 too, and I loved it. I watched because Robert Redford was in it, but I enjoyed it so much, I'm reading the book now. I can't believe it lost Best Picture to "Rocky"

This film is about one of the most important events in American history and I'm glad it's being shown in school history classes. If you think this kind of thing is boring, you are ignorant not only of history but of the importance of knowledge of our own country's past. Remember, this is a true story, not a piece of fiction like The Good Shephere, which I agree was long and boring. All the President's Men is a cautionary tale as well. Our present government is doing worse things every day, shredding the Constitution, turning the country into a police state. It would behoove you to pay attention to things like this and to take a look around the real world, because it will affect you, no question. ATPM holds up after 30 years. I lived through the time of Watergate and it was very scary, indeed. But what is happening today is worse. I don't understand how you can be bored by something like this.

i just found it SO slow moving. I guess i had to experience Watergate to experience the full effect of the film, but I just couldn't sit through this without falling asleep.

A

It isn't just how boring the film is. I didn't find the film boring, but I'm 29 years old and watching the film of my own volition.

I slept through most of Platoon (speaking of Oliver Stone) during high school (one of the last R-rated films to be shown at my school without massive parental permissions); I also slept through Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, a wonderful movie!

It's not always the film, but the environment. A dark classroom is prime real estate for snoozefests and whispering, joking, pranks, daydreaming, and doodling.

Schools aren't always the right place to learn things. I don't blame *anyone* for being bored with this film. A 16 year old today, who's surrounded with cellphones, instant messaging, video games, and a virtual life, would have to be a valedictorian-in-the-making to appreciate All the President's Men.

Don't blame the kids. Blame the system. As long as they're made aware of the issues (that's where discussion and participation, however much I hated it as a kid, is actually very important), students in schools will recall what they've learned when they're older and the interest in politics grows, for whatever reason.

I loathe politics. But I respect it. And I don't mind learning about it, to support why I don't like it. But it wasn't until now, 11 years down the road, that I'm even remotely interested in the Watergate Scandal.

Clap for Alaska!!!

I'm not by any means a valedictorian in the making, in fact, I'm surprised I graduated from middle school last year, but I love this movie. Now, I also asked my English teacher to lend me a copy of "Romeo and Juliet" and to let me read ahead while the other students were still stuck on the first page of whatever book it was we were reading trying to pronounce genial, so maybe I'm just the odd teen out, but I loved this movie so much. I found it amazing and then after watching the movie our Journalism teacher told us about how Nixon also said at one point something that basically amounted to "I'm the president, I'm above the law." That sickened me, that the man in charge of the country could think that because we put him in the power seat that he could do whatever he pleased.

Post deleted

Schools aren't always the right place to learn things. I don't blame *anyone* for being bored with this film. A 16 year old today, who's surrounded with cellphones, instant messaging, video games, and a virtual life, would have to be a valedictorian-in-the-making to appreciate All the President's Men.

Sorry, but even though it's been nearly 10 years since I was 16 I find that downright patronizing. Yes, they might enjoy their cellphones, internet and computer games (all of those still existed when I was 16) but does this mean they're all dumb? Did 16-year-olds in the 1980s appreciate this film more? And when this film came out, did many under-18s go and see it, even though it was about something that had just happened?

If anything I'd like it when the teacher occaissionally showed us a film in class, because it was more fun than what we usually had to do.

Its not slow moving at all but with all those different opinions out there I would have to guess other opinions as yours must be out there but I don't think you had to experience Watergate to get he full effect of the film cause I'm 17 watched it yesterday and gave it 10/10.

Somebody here has been drinking and I'm sad to say it ain't me - Allan Francis Doyle

Couldn't have said it better myself, zarembazwoman. ITA, on every point.

Just watched it again this afternoon on cable...it does indeed become more and more engaging and more prescient on repeated viewings...interesting watching now that we know who "Deep Throat" was...i.e. watching the FBI stonewall when DT/Felt was way up in the FBI.

On whether or not this is "boring", I used to show this in my US History courses but I don't anymore...not that's it boring, but you really need a lot of the "backstory" to fully apprciate this. I just felt it was too "inside baseball" for most students.

This is really an interesting film in a lot of ways but it really shows the "generational divide" in viewing films...I think a film like this is hard for the younger kids (~12-25) due to its reliance on conversation and lack of speedy editing etc.

To the original poster and others, if you're idea of entertainment is Sponge Bob and Saw II then you are right, it is boring.
If you have mmore than two synapses in your brain you can take the build up and appreciate the real drama that it is.

Yup. This is a bad movie. I think it shook everyone senseless because it actually happened and why it happened but as a film, God this is dire.

Again, I don't think it's a great film...probably too long, but it is a well made account of how Woodward/Bernstein essentially brought down a corrupt Presidency.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but as far as "bad movie" goes, you're in a very small minority. It's one of the few films on Rotten Tomatoes to get a 100% (35 respondents), won dozens of awards and was nominated for dozens more, just got added to the AFI's top 100 list, and is widely considered one of the seminal films of the 1970s. Everything's subjective, of course, but still...

Post deleted

I found it riveting just as a movie. This film is well before my time so it's not a generational thing. The dialogue is smart as hell, the performances superb, and no, the editing is not slow, in fact it's extremely sharp. Only, the characters are on the phone a lot, there's not much physical "action".

Our generation wants movement all the time, nobody has the patience to stay with a well-paced, "slow-steady-cook" to a plot anymore. MTV sure screwed with our sensibilities since the 90s. Instant gratification, quick eyeball movement is what we've gotten used to.

No wonder films of the 70s are so revered - they were highly intelligent, literate, used "words" extensively, and were interested in moral, political, sociological inquiry. It's hard to believe this film was a mainstream success. Today excellent films about current subjects like Iraq are leaving audiences cold. We're so mentally insulated today that we just don't want to know.

2007 came up with a lot of films like President's Men (Michael Clayton), but were not box office successes. They did get a great critical response though. Not a moment too soon, coz I was beginning to think our generation was growing up to be completely blinkered and self-gratified with 24 hour E! entertainment drivel, reality TV and infotainment passing off as real news.
Guys like George Clooney are following the Paul Newman-Robert Redford model in terms of their careers, and thanks to the Ocean's series, he's considered cool and current. So maybe there's hope yet.

i'm 18 and i'm mexican, so i did not know or care at all about watergate.
but one thing this movie was not was boring. i thought it was an incredibly compelling and VERY fast paced political film, considering it is based absolutely on dialogue.

it's just that kids today are filled with all the comic book hero flicks, action films and the hyperlink movies are the only drama movies that appeal to youngsters.

i have heard tons of people my age confused about the godfather films, the deer hunter and citizen kane. stating that they don't understand how can they be considered the best ever if they don't have much action in it.

i guess people are just more used to very fast moving movies, with chase scenes that are irrelevant to the plot.

also, it could be the classroom, i always skip those classes on which we see movies, cause no one can keep their mouth shut.

I'm a 21 year old female, and I'm currently watching this movie and trying not to fall asleep. Why? Because I was up very late studying, but since this is one of the best damn movies on earth and I haven't seen it in months, I would hate to fall asleep before it's over.

I can see why this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, and there's no shame in that. It's slow (in a good way) and understated and the history is difficult to grasp, especially if you don't know it already. But it's a stunningly crafted movie -- great acting, direction, writing, pacing. This movie makes phone calls and offices and endlessly ringing doorbells into tense and absorbing cinema.

I am a history and journalism buff, though. I know that helps. The first time I watched the movie, a couple of years back, I liked it, but I didn't quite get all the pieces. So I read the book, slowly and carefullyl to get all the names straight, and I got the story down. Then I watched the movie a dozen more times and God if it isn't wonderful each time.

I never really got the relevance of ATPM until I watched it last night. The day before the senior politician in our country resigned with a "i am not a crook" type speech similar to Nixon's effort on his resignation. Anyway I never really liked the movie when I was younger but now wow it so exactly right. And guess how our politician had to go. the reporters followed the money. There is still a chance this guy will end up in jail for lying under oath but thats not important what is for the USA is our politician on the ropes will be giving a speech to your houses of Congress at the end of April. Good luck with that. Great movie, and your "I am bored" comment makes a film like this and lions for lambs so pertinent and relevant. Why do you think its important to inform people of these type of truths?

okay_what_now:

You misunderstand. This is not some mindless thriller drivel. Sorry, but you had to think, rationalize, and comprehend to grasp and understand the thrill of this story and to fully enjoy and appreciate the wonderful piece of cinematography this movie really is.

It is a true story about dirty politics in America and how your life can be threatened by a President for telling, or in this case, writing the truth about corrupt politicians. You would have to be a complete moron, dead from the neck up, not to find this movie relative and fascinating. It's about history. What would be a thrilling movie for you about true historic events? The Blair Witch Project? Iron Eagle? 300?

All The Presidents Men appeals to everyone who has an IQ greater than his/her age. Only someone with an IQ less than his/her age would find this movie too complex, boring, etc., etc. A vast majority of people have an IQ greater than their age. A vast majority of people like and admire this movie? Why do you think your opinion is in the minority?

Too bad you fell asleep in class. If you had watched, listened and understood, you probably would have passed history and graduated high school. Pity.

Post deleted

The era of pencils, typewriters and rotary phones probably taxed your attention span, which was short to begin with.

Kids. Ya gotta love 'em.

No you don't. I hate kids, especially when they're spewing forth their "opinions", which are always half-informed and lacking in anything substantive to say. Just more of their usual, exsquisite boredom. I think anybody under 40 ought to be summarily tortured and executed for their terminal stupidity.

Action is the enemy of thought.

Remember, YOU were once 'under 40'.

I'm being intentionally absurd for the purpose of pure self-amusement. And, for your information, I was never under 40. LOL

Action is the enemy of thought.

I’m reading The Films of Dustin Hoffman, by Douglas Brode, and it says this about All The President's Men:

“Ironically, then, the only film which met Watergate face-on proved the least effective in artistically communicating what had been most essential about the Watergate era in America . . . there is something clearly, naggingly missing, for one senses how this is a case study of how any good, aggressive reporter works, but that it has very little to say about Watergate . . . there is no sense of ensemble to the cast of President’s Men; the performers are not allowed to create characters at all. [When the film was released], Hoffman received the most lukewarm notices of his career . . . the surface of the investigation is portrayed perfectly, but the essence of it is just not there . . . the narrative is so difficult to follow, that, removed from the immediate viewing context of the mid-seventies, it is almost impossible to follow, even for people who kept abreast of the Watergate hearings at that time.”

Just so we can keep it in perspective that there are some intelligent, learned, long-attention-spanned people who don't think this movie's the greatest thing that ever happened.

Had no idea I made a post here over a year ago. But yeah, I still agree with what I said and recently bought the two-disc special edition. Such a great film. I love the way the film forces you to pay attention. I love how there isn't any conventional drama. I love how cool the cinematography looks, most notably in the parking garage, and I love, love, love the performances. It's so unusual for a movie to be this close to being a documentary while still being a great artistic dramatic film. One of my all-time favorites, and the slow pace just builds the tension for me.

I'm not surprised that the OP doesn't have the attention span to appreciate ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN. He/She has about 20 posts on AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL, and a bunch of other contemporary $hit. Why don't you take your Blackberry, put it on vibrate, and shove it up your a$$, you self-important, A.D.D., moron.

It's a movie about journalists. Were you people who found it boring expecting a laser-filled gun battle or something?

One of the greatest films ever made, though I admit, it's obviously American viewers who will get the most mileage out of watching it.

"Why do celebrities think we want to watch them play poker?" -Hank Hill

Jesus, you people are morons.

WTF kind of attention span do you small minded little dweebs have? It's one thing to express a well thought out criticism of a film, it's another to write it off as 'boring' or 'dire' because you're too mentally deficient to understand it. If this is anyway indicative of the next generation of American adults, get me the *beep* out now.

I second what redeemys24 said. This movie is anything BUT boring.

I think anybody under 40 ought to be summarily tortured and executed for their terminal stupidity.

How ironic that this would come from the generation that said "Don't trust anyone over thirty."

Consilio et prudentia

well,at least you didn't have to watch the Watergate hearings on tv.THAT was boring.

Post deleted

Every time I read a post like this, I can't help but think that your teacher did not adequately prepare you by giving you the proper background. You don't have to be of that generation to appreciate what was going on and, perhaps, to see if simialr things may happen again. Learn a bit about the times and then try it again. You might think of it differently. In some ways, it is as frightening as any thriller, because the stakes are so real -- our Liberty and way of life!

Post deleted

I cannot say this wasn't a good film, but the truth is I didn't actually enjoy it that much. I think it was better than any film made today on this subject could have been, because it was made only a few years after it happened it felt far more, whereas no matter how hard filmmakers try to recreate a period it always feels a little fake. With Frost/Nixon for example, you never forget you're only watching actors in costumes with hairstyles and props and classic cars hired and brought in and in terms of cameras and film it's far superior to what was around in the 70s.

Yet I feel you might as well watch a documentary rather than this (I don't think that documentaries are boring or anything). It avoided injecting melodrama and Hoffman and Redford gave very naturalistic performances but perhaps because it didn't have any big entertaining dramatic scenes and didn't have jazzed up direction I found it all a bit flat.

I try to be a conscientious film buff, I try to make sure I watch a variety of noteworthy films, I don't just lap up any old Hollywood rubbish, so I always feel bad when I don't quite get "legendary" films like this. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if I watched it again some time but right now I'm not feeling any real desire to rewatch it.

Post deleted

Watch it again when you're 30 or 40, you'll like it a lot better. This isnt the kind of movie you can really appreciate when you are that young. I'm 27 and I probably saw it for the first time when I was 16 or 17, found it boring, and didnt sit through the whole thing. I watched it again in my mid 20's and found it to be very good. Excellent acting from Hoffman, Redford, and of course an Oscar Winning performance from Jason Robards. Plus it happens to be a true story and one of the most important incidents in American political history. But it does have no action and a done of dialogue which is why they needed such great actors. You just have to be able to be entertained by a movie with nothing but dialogue in it in order to enjoy this movie. There are a lot of people who cant do that. These are the people who also never read books.

I'm sixteen and I think this movie is awesome! I love it; I don't think I've ever seen a political thriller better than this movie...

Post deleted

Seeing as how everyone claiming that this movie was boring is under the age of 20, explanations are not needed.

Most teenagers (prob more than 90 percent) do not have any idea what makes a good film. Especially now, when teens are becoming more and more fixated on ridiculous effects and lack of a plot.

Might as well stop complaining, my teen friends. We all know that you can't handle this type of cinema, and we all know why.

Nuff said.

the ending was a letdown.