Robert De Niro : better actor him or al pacino?

better actor him or al pacino?

i say him. he's never been bad in a movie unlike al pacino who was bad inn gigli and he hasn't anywhere near as many bad movies as al pacino.

lukejbarnett

Re: better actor him or al pacino?

It's a tie. They've both had some bombs.

come on it's a tie when robert has played a weak not confident character in mad dog and glory as well as confident tough guy mafia characters and played a mentally disabled person in awakenings and al has never payed a mentally disabled person or a weak pacifist character like robert did in mad dog and glory?

i used to think its' a tie but after considering these reasons and weaknesses in the range of al pacino's acting career and the fact he's made so many more bad movies than robert i know robert is a better actor than al.

lukejbarnett

I prefer Robert De Niro for sympathetic, but heavily flawed characters.

Al Pacino is pretty good at that too, but I think he excels more at overacting.

excelling is incorrect it's bad to overact. dont' know why al pacino or tom cruise has never played a weak, or mentally disabled person. it' s a sign of weakness a hole in their acting careers and legacies. whereas robert de niro has played a mentally handicapped person in awakenings and has played both i control mafia characters and weak, not in control and pacifist character in mad dog and glory.

lukejbarnett

Pacino in Serpico and The Irishman were less exaggerated and perhaps somewhat "weak" or vulnerable. His character also has moments of that in the Godfather trilogy.

Also, I haven't seen the film yet, but from what I've read about Manglehorn (2014), it definitely fits the description of a character with a lot of weakness.

you're actually saying his mafia, alpha male tough guy character in the godfather trilogy has moments of being weak or vulnerable? uh ok? i'm talking about playing wimpy weak or passive characters. he's never done that as far as i know. characters that dont' get the girl or kill the guy or win the battle. characters who have an aversion to violence or fighting.

you're misunderstanding what i'm saying, i'm saying a non violent or confidence weak or passive person when it comes to violence or getting the job done so to speak.

he's never played a character like that. also he's never played a mentally disabled person as far as i know. which is his biggest weakness in his career like tom cruise.

acting is about stretching yourself into doing various roles that you usually don't play. typecasting is the result of actors staying in their lane being lazy and playing the same characters in every movie. we want and need diversity in our actors.

lukejbarnett

I still maintain that Manglehorn probably fits that description.

Lol! Scenery chewing is his specialty!

De Niro has more range and can do comedy better but Pacino is still my favorite.

Plus Bob acts like a douchebag in real life.

Filmboards: A place for friends.

I like Bobby De Niro

As far as their acting, I like them both

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

what about getting into character? everytime i watch de niro he's convincing in every way no matter what character he plays. i dont' get the same feeling or experience from pacino.

you know what i mean? i just watched robert de niro in 2 movies in the last few months. sleepers and killer elite and he's completely convincing in both movies.

in killer elite he played like a killer for hire, mercenary kind of character, so a killer and he's completely convincing as a gun shooting bad guy. which is not like the roles he usually plays in movies. he picks up a gun and immediately you think and feel he's a killer with a gun.

you are immediately convinced that he is this character. he has this believability in every role he plays that is amazing and rare. i dont' always get that from pacino or i'm not always impressed by pacino in the way that i'm always impressed by de niro.

through the years i've always been fascinated by de niro's acting because he's so great in every movie. and he has this intriguing quality that makes him always intriguing to watch.

lukejbarnett

He is, he plays an evil character well

Pacino was good in The Scent of a Woman

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

he is what?

also pacino is great in devil's advocate. which is the ultimate evil character performance. entertainment weekly said it's over acting but i don't think so. he is so great in this film, mesmerizing even bc of his acting.

lukejbarnett

Convincing

so you prefer to watch de niro?

lukejbarnett

No, I like watching them both although De Niro plays more violent characters usually

yeah that's probably true the violent comment. are you the same as me as far as being more captivated by de niro than pacino in movies generally?

lukejbarnett

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

It's a Tie, They are both Amazing Actors.

Favorite "Al Pacino" Movie - HEAT

Favorite "Robert De Niro" Movie - MEET THE PARENTS

did you see the crossover film? it's called HEAT THE PARENTS

I am Anna. I am Google.

They're both past their 'use by' dates.

in pacinos' case yes he seems expired i guess as far as being a usable actor maybe its' his face looking so old, but not in de niro's case. he can act 'til he's 97 and he probably will bc it's his main passion in life. he's probably been in 100 movies by now.

de niro was just in the irishman 2 years ago. so he can still be in big movies as the main star. whereas in the case of pacino he's dead as far as being in big movies.

pacino is about 5 years older than de niro so de niro can act a little longer in movies than pacino if they live as long as each other.

lukejbarnett

Pacino gave the best performance in The Irishman followed by Pesci.

Both are great. I think Deniro is more versatile, but they're both legends

Bruce Campbell.

I misread the post - Robert D.

i just thought about bruce playing a serious character in the movie bubba-ho tep. i wonder if he really played a serious character in this movie. does he? i kind of think he does bc he's playing Elvis so i'd think he would do his best to be serious and respectful to Elvis.

that is one thing that is a quality defect and detriment to his acting the fact that he never playing a serious character in a movie.

lukejbarnett

no

I am Anna. I am Google.

DeNiro has more range (played a man with Parkinson’s, Frankenstein’s monster, an 18th century Portuguese missionary, a schizophrenic man etc). His portrayal of The Devil was also more convincing than Pacino’s. And his filmography is of higher quality overall as Pacino basically didn’t do anything noteworthy between 1983-89.

But I think Pacino’s best performances are greater and more intense than DeNiro’s. Especially when talking about his 70s work. I think Pacino has the ability to disappear completely into the character and transform himself more than DeNiro. Even with Scarface, when I see Tony Montana I do not see Al Pacino playing a character, I see Tony Montana brought to life.

Frankenstein's monster? De Niro was to Frankenstein what Keanu was to Dracula and Sophia was to TGF3. I'm sorry but he was bad and not a good choice for Frankenstein.

no way, if you actually read the book De Niro nails the character completely, a pitiful creature cursed to walk the earth with nothing. His performance is probably the only good thing about the movie. Comparing DeNiro to Reeves is laughable

Better actor: Pacino!

Pacino is a better actor, and De Niro is a raging Leftard moron!

mjeyds.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 President Trump is a HERO, and will win in a landslide over Biden, or whoever!

De Niro is more of a businessman and knows good films and good directors, he sticks with them because he knows they will beneficial to each other. But whether he plays a normal guy or a mob boss, they are all essentially the same characters, acted the same way.

Pacino is no businessman, he's an artist. And unlike De Niro who has lost his passion, Pacino never lost his nor his naivete about the business. He goes for the uniqueness or challenges of a character than a safe bet, thus has a lot more stinkers (Cruisin and Revolution). But since he lost all his money, he has had to make compromises and accept roles beneath him for a paycheck (88 Minutes or Gigli). Still, he gives his 110%. He can play a gangster in 3 different roles but they will be vastly different from each other, De Niro can never pull off such range.

Michael Corleone
Tony Montana
Lefty Ruggiero

i knew you were wrong when you said 110%. lol. that is not correct bc you can't go over 100% in anything except in baseball hitting average.

if he is accepting roles beneath him for a paycheck then he is acting without passion.

lukejbarnett

The fact that you took that literally instead of its intended meaning, a notch above your best.

As to your 2nd, one does not correlate to the other. Maybe that's true for you but many people accept jobs they are not naturally passionate about yet give their best. Maybe you live a priveleged life and can't comprehend integrity within your means and reality.

it's intended either way so just say 100% it does the job. its not an excuse for using this wrongly. its just like using literally incorectly.

no, no true bc within acting its about believing in what you are doing being passionate if you dont pick roles based on this you aren't being passionate. bc again it was about money not passion.

lukejbarnett

Lol given your poor grammar, lack of capitalization, and bad spelling, it's a wonder you prance around like a grammar nazi.

**** you

lukejbarnett

Pacino by far.

My password is password

Yea,
It’s Pacino.

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

Jack Nicholson > Pacino > de Niro

Bing.. Wobbledy wobble, wo-wo-wobble, wobbin'
https://vocaroo.com/1hz4nrSop8zd