The Funhouse : based on Dean Koontz book?

based on Dean Koontz book?

Search I watched this movie thinking it was basecd on a Dean Koontz book also called the Funhouse. And it was, it had the same general story, same characters, same ending. Same deaths for the three who died... movie was pretty much identical with the exception of some elaboration of the story in the book... but it didn't give Dean Koontz any credit. In fact it said it was written by some one else. Im not exagerating, I specifically remember in the book that a character named Buzz used an axe to hit an unknown figure, which turns out to be the corpse in Richie... this was in the movie also. This is definitly a remake of a Koontz book. Does anyone know why they didn't give Koontz any credit? by the way you should chek out the book, there a lot more of a story before and after the funhouse incident.

--------------
You never have trouble parking when you drive a forklift...

Re: based on Dean Koontz book?

I have tried to get some trivia on IMDb on why Dean Koontz did not recieve credit on the film for a few years now. What I have heard was that originally, Universal Pictures did not want to do a slasher film like this. Director Tobe Hooper was already to busy working on Steven Spielberg's Poltergeist at the same time. When Universal finally agreed to do this picture, they wanted it done fast, but also to have it entertaining to younger audiences. If I am not mistaken, Dean Koontz wrote the book while the film was being made, but some scenes decipicted in the Koontz's novel were different than what was seen on film. I think maybe Koontz was displeased with the creative differences, and Universal did not want to waste time and money on something like, and neither did Tobe Hooper. Eventually, Koontz's motion picture novel for The Funhouse pretty much became long forgotten, but he has since had a successful career with his own ideas with horror novels he has written.

hmm. Thats pretty interesting... where did you hear about this, or it it just a theory?

--------------
You never have trouble parking when you drive a forklift...

Have either of you read the book?? I read it last summer and it is now one of my favorite books...I can remember reading something about the situation in the back of the book.
I'll have to check back if I find the book and if you are still interested

He used a pen name Owen West when he wrote the book.

"and you will know my name is the lord when I lay my vengence upon thee!!"
-Jules

I see that now on the trivia posted on the overview page about the movie.

"It's gotta be the hair, Cotton. Feathered and Lethal."

No, Dean Koontz' novel is based on the movie. The makers of the film asked Dean to write the book based on the script. That's why it's not in his profile.

It's True. It was written at the end of The Funhouse novel.

If I remember - isn't the deformed dood the son of the main girls mother? Isn't that why she is an alchoholic? It only gives a very general idea that she is an alchoholic in the film. It goes into it in more detail in the book, I think?

It's a long time since I read the book.

Yes, that´s true. It seems there are alot more about the mother and her story in the book. I´m reading the book right now and it was written by Koontz (using the name of Owen West) while the movie was filming. And it´s based on the screenplay. I haven´t seen the movie but it sounds pretty cool as well.

[You Can´t Fight In Here! - This Is The War Room!]

As good as the book is, the movie is better.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Koontz is a weird and funny guy. His sense of humour is Excellent. I love it when he writes dog's talk, for eg. Dragon Tears - That Dog was funny.

"Pee. Got to Pee. Ah, Pee." - The Dog From Dragon Tears, Dorg.

And I love the stories Trixie Koontz (Dog) writes.

P.S. I... AM.... STREIGHT!!!

Dean R. Koontz wrote a novelization of the screenplay under the pseudonym Owen West. The book contains a lot of backstory added by Koontz. Because of this, and the fact that the book was released before the movie due to a delay in post production, it is often mistaken that the movie is based on the book, but the book is in fact based on the movie.

BigJoe

"Hello ! Hello!! Hello!!!"
Larry,Moe,Curly.

The deformed guy (I believe his name is Gunther in the book) isn't the son of the main girls mother, Amys mother was married to the deformed guys father and had a child with him (who was also deformed) but the baby was evil and Amys mother killed it. There is so much more to the book, I would love to see a remake that is based on the novel and incorporates the backstory that Koontz created when the director asked him to adapt the screenplay.

"No, Dean Koontz' novel is based on the movie. The makers of the film asked Dean to write the book based on the script. That's why it's not in his profile."

Like Demonseed Then ?

No, Koontz was the original author of Demonseed.

have i forgotten to take my crazy pills?????????

funhouse by dean koontz was about a mother of 2(?) who had an abortion before
(or killed her baby before) and was now being haunted by the father of that
baby. its got nothing to do w/ this movie.

http://pinoystyle.net/flash/002/014.html
dnt let it happen.

The book is not about that at all. Ellen (the mother) has a very small part in the book. She married Conrad Straker (the carnival guy) when she was younger and had his baby, who was deformed, so she killed it one night. Conrad vowed that he would get revenge on her by killing her own children decades down the road. THAT is what the book is about. Conrad doesn't "haunt" Ellen at ALL. They barely have any "scenes" together, except for at the the beginning of the book when she kills the baby.

if i remember correctly the baby tried to kill her and she faught back.
"im not abotu to go over the edge, i just like to look, thats all."

no the movie came first the book was a cover version though Tobe Hooper says that after reading the book it really seems like it would be the other way around

Have you read
Dean R. KOONTZ's "The Husband"(2006) ?
It shoud be made into a movie the soonest possible.
Personnally, i think it's Mr.KOONTZ's best book
until now. And he has already written lots of good ones.
The story doesn't involve anything supernatural,
and yet the main villain creepier than
Dracula,Han.Lecter and Imhotep rolled together
makes me tremble all along with the hero.
But then, i'll tremble even more thinking that they may
botch up this one like they did with "Hideaway" !

Post deleted

Dean Koontz book is a novelization of Funhouse, the book came out before the movie because of how long it took to make the movie, take a look:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funhouse_%28novel%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Funhouse

the book would have made an amazing movie. I haven't see movie yet, but I read the book and from what I read about the movie, the characters names are the same and they die in the same ways, but thats basically it. I loved the mothers character (because she was sooo twisted!) I love this book and now, I'm not so sure that I'm going to like this film...

I'll confirm it does exists because I have it, although I haven't read it yet.

The book is better than the movie !
At the beginning of the book we have all this caracterization of the characters and the drama of the mother of the "deformed" baby...
First read the book and than see the movie !
In Portugal the book it is called "Comboio Fantasma", something like "Ghost Train" !
:)

Grab A Friend before someone in the audience grabs you!

Deadly Friend (1986)

The book is based on the film, it's a novelisation of the movie. Filming took longer than expected and the book was released first.

I just read the book last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had seen the movie 20+ years ago and didn't know until a few years ago that Dean Koontz had written a novel based upon it. The book has much more depth but the storyline very closely matches the movie. My only complaint about the book is that it ends pretty abruptly after Amy and her brother escape from The Funhouse but I was hoping for another chapter where Amy tells her mother what they'd been through and the mother explains about her experience with the carnival. But overall it was a very worthwhile read!

Post deleted