The Sandbox : You're kidding, right? IMDB shutting down the message boards?

You're kidding, right? IMDB shutting down the message boards?

Why? It's one of the only useful message boards left. Whose brain dead decision is it close them down?

250 million users joined up to do so much more than communicate here???? Say goodbye to 200 million members if this happens, IMDB.

Re: You're kidding, right? IMDB shutting down the message boards?

Yes, I only come here for the Superhero movie message boards, will not return if they shut down.

"WITNESS!" -Nux

I only came here too for movie message boards and actors and actresses message boards what will happen to the actors and actresses message boards and movie messages boards when IMDb shuts them down what will replace the message boards I hope IMDb will not shut them down since there is a petition too keep them once IMDb shuts down the Message Boards I am not coming back.

Are they just shutting down these message boards or are they shutting down the discussions on the films' pages as well?

YOUR VOTE MATTERS! Please vote in every election. Thank you.

They're shutting down all of the message boards, including the film ones.

Yeah, this really sucks that they have decided to shut it down. It probably costs too much money to run, maintain, and police the boards.

I just created an official petition page for this topic, should be front and center on the sandbox.

"WITNESS!" -Nux

The thing is that they don't police the boards. The users have to report offensive postings. Then IMDb staff just deletes the posting. That's done without reviewing any other postings from the same user, so trolls weren't banned as they should be and were free to post the same garbage over and over. Ban them immediately and you wouldn't have 100 troll posts from the same user, but IMDb couldn't figure this out. On the other hand, there was no due process for other postings that weren't really offensive, and no notice for the user other than some cryptic "you may be banned" message when they try to post. No explanation of what they might have written that was offensive to somebody, no way to appeal.

You'd think with the amount of money IMDb makes, they could afford to hire a few moderators, but I guess not. This isn't really unusual, though. Sites have been eliminating message boards and comment sections for years thanks to trolls. Google "comment sections disappearing" and you'll find coverage of the phenomenon.

Darn shame. There's no other easy way to ask questions about movies and shows.

With the amount of trolling on these boards I'm surprised it hasn't happened before.
It's a shame but not a surprise.
I think the only hope of a reprieve would be if all accounts are closed and you need to sign up using a credit card for ID purposes and to be made easily traceable if a person goes too far.

It's because of users like you who think that any negative reaction to a movie is trollign that they're closing it down.

To be fair there are a lot of jerk-offs on the boards but you're right, there are also a lot of crybabies who squeal 'troll' as soon as someone sets them straight about something because they can't stand being wrong.

...then whoa, differences...

Methinks you're signing your death warrant by closing the boards. I can't go to Facebook or Twitter to get specific information about a specific film, and the message boards were the perfect vehicle for like minded film buffs to communicate. If the message boards go so will I and many others that I know. This sucks...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Make me a sergeant and charge the booze!

I hope they reconsider and continue to allow the boards. I wish I had an easy answer on how to deal with trolls and hate speech. I would rather put up with the trolls than not have a place to discuss and critique TV and films.

Surely the movie information would still exist? They're closing the message boards not the entire site.

Hardly a death warrant. You're overreacting as much as they are. IMDb will continue to exist just to look up cast lists, episode lists, etc. It will be much as it was back in the 1990s, when I joined. A simple site like that won't be as useful as it was back then, but it will survive. Where else can you get the information? Wikipedia isn't as well organized in terms of this stuff.

It doesn't surprise me a bit. There's so much trolling and immaturity on the boards that they are hard to use without getting turned off to the entire website.

It's a shame though because the boards, where I have been posting since the 90s, SHOULD be a great place for movie lovers to discuss films and ask questions, sharing insights and knowledge. But let's admit, that's overshadowed by the pettiness and childishness that prevails.

It is most likely because of all the anti-jew posts that have appeared.

They Live, etc.
Jews cannot stand criticism no matter how slight.
They rather have censorship.
Jews are culture killers.

no, it's because of people like you

Yea if this happens, bye IMDB. This is the only place I can look and discuss things I've watched. I've been a member for 13 years. Screw IMDB! Seriously. Way to silence people, good job.

I have been going there for 11 years especially to the individual separate message boards that are under each movie and TV show to discuss the movies and shows or to ask a question if there was something in a movie or TV episode I didn't understand or miss.

It also comes in very handy and informative with older movies and in locating older movies that are not readily available on home video.

I been going to IMDB for 11 years and had 20,000 posts in the Message boards and about one year ago, with NO warning, all my posts in every message board under different movies and tv shows were deleted! Then for a few months after that I had to log in and verify myself by getting a code sent to my iPhone before I could post., It was so bad that I can post one thing in a message board now and come back 10 min later and I would be logged out already and had to go through the entire phone verification process to log in and read the threads and post again.

Sounds to me like they are shutting down the message board to save money on servers!

You cannot have a discussion about movies on Pinterest and Twitter and Snapchat and Facebook and YouTube and Tumblr. It doesn't work the same way!

IMDB is removing every comment posted on their Facebook page about the message boards as fast as people are posting them!!

Looks to me my comment about them wanting to save money on servers is right on the money!

It's just sad. Same as you, I loved coming here to get peoples opinions or interpretations of things. I've understood or had a different view on shows or movies because I was allowed to look at the boards. I'm disgusted at imdb.

Because they dont want to handle it or using a ridiculous excuse about it not being a positive place. Like are you kidding me? They are silencing their users! People have their opinions so deal with it or just "block" them. It's that simple. They are cowards and I'd love to call them another name but who knows, maybe they'll just remove it.

This is all news to me, in the past I learned more about Classic Films on these message boards than anywhere else. It's become a resource of the history of Hollywood motion pictures.

It's sad to see it go.

My Top 50 Films http://www.imdb.com/list/ls033211402/

I agree, I find these boards useful for especially older films from the 20s-40s.

I don't want to go to FB and it's just not the same and organized the same way as a message board/forum.

Global Warming, it's a personal decision innit? - Nigel Tufnel

I'm very upset that they're closing the boards and I signed the petition. I've been posting here since 2006 and the boards are a great way to discuss specific films and people. I feel like part of my freedom of speech is being taken away. This sucks so much:(

Your profile says that you have been member since 2007, not 2006.

"IMDb’s message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide"

Lol..did it offend anyone?

I guess 5 people out of 250 million complaint so the minority rules.

"IMDb’s message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide"

Lol..did it offend anyone?
Who would have thought a message board would upset some people? It is almost as if when people get together, politics happen, and a very small amount of people are puckish in nature. Go figure. I am sure that some Utopian place exists where everyone ALWAYS gets along no matter what, like in Atlas Shrugged's ending utopia for the "productive members of society." It is only a shame IMDb closed down the message boards before they could find this utopian area where no animosity ever happens.

It smells like a business decision to me. Too many trolls on these boards in the past few years.

IMDB just cannot bear the cost of monitoring and moderating the board anymore so they are simply shutting us down.

And *beep* the users who were here to actually discuss movies instead of just ranting and abusing people.

It's the natural evolution of the internet unfortunately. It started as a community and it's now a giant commercial pay-per-view with "social media" thumbs up and down and a dwindling number of places for people willing to actually discuss and debate instead of just reposting commercial content in one click and liking/disliking.

So now, question: where does everyone who likes to use their actual words and are not afraid of a keyboard are going to go to discuss cinema?

I know IMDB is dead to me but where's the next stop?

For every lie I unlearn I learn something new - Ani Difranco

Good Question! I'd also like to know where I can go to discuss movies. Reddit might have a few places but it's nothing like this (I'd say it's not as organized or big enough as far as certain films) and I'm pretty sure they would be just the same with the monitoring of comments.

Reddit
For just general movie discussions you can try /r/movies.

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/

Here's their discussion about the IMDb boards.
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/5ruzwc/imdb_message_boards_shutting_down/

I don't understand reddit and how it works tbh. But I guess when this shuts down, that might be our only haven.

Me either. Maybe I'm not that smart, but reddit just looks like a confusing mess to me.

The simplicity of the boards here is the bomb.

these boardds outlived their usefulness years ago.

Then why are you still posting on them?

Why not? Why are you?

Because the poster finds these boards useful, as well as I do. You apparently don't but still come.

Some of it is. Most of it isnt.

Exactly, except for some occasional good laughs at some stupid messages the boards were pretty much useless since a long time.

Yeah, any good conversation usually gets derailed by idiots.

I have been lurking on IMDB for over 10 years. I loved reading the various threads. There are a lot of funny and smart people. Yeah, there are trolls and crazies. This just happens when you get into fandom. There are little nerds that freak out and have their own personal feuds. I just ignore that.

It's going to be a shame if the message boards really do shut down. I don't think IMDB will be very useful to me if that happens. I'll probably google a movie to see how it's ranked on IMDB. That's probably it.

This is utter nonsense. I don't understand how a sane person would come up with such a decision, which won't do the site any good.

🐺 Boycott movies that involve real animal violence (& their directors) 🐾

I do TWO THINGS ON THIS SITE. Rate movies, and ASK QUESTIONS ON THE MESSAGE BOARDS.

NO AMAZON, CHATTING ON THE FACEBOOK PAGE IS NOT AN ALTERNATIVE TO POSTING ON A PAGE WHERE PEOPLE CHECK A SPECIFIC FILM. YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS.

Running YouTube's Best Daily Vlog, Literally
https://www.youtube.com/user/VaughnJogVlog

Basicly to me this means I wont use IMDB annymore. I come here after I watched my favorit show and enter debates and discussions about the latest episode. I can honestly say that I at best check reviews or Episode guides etc. maybe once or twice a month if at all and then I am done in a minute or two once I found what I was looking for. I am pretty sure the IMDB is seriously misjudging what people come here for and will notice a vicious decline in webtraffic.

That's what they want. They have too much web traffic that doesn't make them any money. Sad, but true!

I dont see the advantage of having a website people dont visit annymore. They pretty much cut down my reason to come here (and I am just gonna asume its the same for most people) by some odd 98-99%. You think the remaining 1-2% willl make them fare better than now? I for one think its pretty much gonna leave them with a glorified wikipedia page specialized on only movies and tv shows. Good luck with THAT.

I just found out today! And I'm sort of devastated if it's true. i rely on this more than fb or twitter or even youtube tbh.

I love films and I come here to discuss about films and actors/actresses. IMDB is more than just ratings and film trivia.

I've been here nearly 18 years. Yes, there are many idiots worthy of officially ignoring, but I find the boards more informative than the reviews or other official links. The behind-the-scenes info (e.g., anecdotes about being an extra) is irreplaceable.

I suppose there's the Criterion boards, which is OK if you wish to discuss Fellini et al, but sometimes a person wants to look up Skidoo or Morgan Stewart's Coming Home.

but I find the boards more informative than the reviews or other official links
Absolutely agreed, which on a sidenote is why thoughtless people including spoilers in the titles of their posts has become such a bugbear in the last few years. Then when called on it get all snippy.

But, I can cope with that for the awesome informativeness, simplicity and ease of use that is the message boards here.

*beep* IMDb. The message boards are all anyone uses this site for. I wonder how long it will take the pricks in charge to delete this like they do comments on social media.