Comic Books and Comic-Con : When I was 13/14 I tried being a super hero called "Gecko Man."

When I was 13/14 I tried being a super hero called "Gecko Man."

When I was that age I was a fan of superheroes and collected comics, particularly Batman.

I wanted to be a real-life a superhero.

I had told a white lie to my parents that my school was doing a play with superheroes, and I needed to buy supplies. I had this toy iguana which inspired me to come up with "Gecko Man." My parents took me shopping where I bought a green spandex shirt, camo pants, and green boots.

I used a green towel which I cut scales in to be used as a the cape, to look like a gecko's scales and tale, and an old olive pillow case I customized and cut eyeholes in to be a mask.

I'd keep it low scale, though. Batman saved Gotham City, I'd just stick to my block. I had school. And I couldn't drive yet. I went out looking for "crime" at night, or looking for people who maybe got a flat tire to help them, but I still never found any crime. I'd wear a life jacket under my shirt to be my "bullet proof vest" and to appear as artificial muscles, often I'd wear it under my regular clothes (like Superman did) which intent for no one to notice, but my mom would always notice.

Eventually my parents caught on that I didn't needed it for school and just wanted it for fun. My dad told me I was too old to be wanting to dress like a super hero and that I should be concerned with going out with girls.

But I would tell him, Batman and Superman and other super heroes on TV are much older than me, 20s, 30s, 40s even, and they're superheroes. My dad would say, "that's just a movie."

But I don't buy the reasoning "it's just a movie" as an excuse for not doing a behavior. It's such a copout answer. Even though movies are fiction, they're written as a hypothetical real life situation. Even within the universe of the movie, none of the characters are telling the superheroes that they're "too old" to be dressing in tights.

Eventually though, I'd create the character as fiction and give him an alter ego, villains, and a backstory.

Re: When I was 13/14 I tried being a super hero called "Gecko Man."

you still want to be gecko man, don't lie

Sometimes. you would be an anti-hero or soft villain like Catwoman. Kinda a villain, but not entirely evil like the Joker.

I'd be a gecko if I could get a lucrative ad contract with GEICO!

[center] [hr] [poll closed multiple] [s][/s] [sic] [sub]2[/sub] [sup]th[/sup] [u][/u]  

Batman is best superhero but I’m not him.

Umm 14 was a little old to be playing dress up. Unless you’re Ryan and “dress up” means high heels and wigs.

❤️