Legion : What year is show set in?

What year is show set in?

I'm watching the premiere now, some of it looks like the 80s or 90s and some of it seems modern with touch screens and stuff. What year is it set in?

Glader #1
Halfblood #16

Re: What year is show set in?

I think the 60s from what the main character's mom was wearing

Couldn't be the 60's, Charles Xavier was in college in the 60's and David is clearly in his 30's right now.

They're not giving it a specific year because comics are always changing timelines. You say Charles was in college in the 60 but that's based on modern movies. The Charles of the 70's comic books was way too old to have been in college in the 60s. When they reboot XMEN a couple of years from now Charles will have been in college in the 80s and 20 years from now they'll reboot it again and Charles will be in college in the 90s or later.

They said this was set in the X-Men movie universe. So it's not the 60's. It borrows heavily from the 60's in looks. There was a flat screen tv in the rental hospital.

That's my point they're taking things from 60's, 70's, and blending in modern things like flat screens so the audience can't say oh it supposed to be a specific year or even a specific decade.

No, as I read, it's supposed to be representative of David's perspective and show the audience he's an unreliable narrator.

If you read some of his original comics you'll get why the timelines seem all weird.

Stylistically (clothes, hair, furniture) it feels like the mid-late 1960's, possibly up to the mid-1970's, but who knows? It could just be an aesthetic choice. The knobs and electronics appear vintage too, though, and so did the ambulance.

Syd's rolling suitcase had four wheels though and not two, which I believe is modern?

But yeah, if Charles was supposed to be around 25 in 1963, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense timewise.

Lenny mentioned CNN which didn't start until 1980. To me, it felt like mid-80s with some science fiction touches...which would fit Charles' timeline.

As somebody who grew up in the 80's, I don't really think it felt at all like the 80's, but it definitely would work with Charles' timeline.

The 80's had some cheap-looking Formica, but it was all gold, black, red, white colors, mirrored walls, grander and puffier pillows and cushions. Those flat, Danish-looking upholstered beds and plastic candy-colored walls and chairs were more 1960's. And people didn't really dress like that either, even in the early 80's. It was so tacky and sequiny back then and people had way worse hair that was permed and feathered and curled with bangs. Syd, Melanie and David's sister all had really sleek and cute hair.

Maybe my '80s was more retro or poor than your 80s?

Haha. My 80's was pretty middle class and Floridian.

I actually thought they looked way too fancy to be the 80's with their bouffant hairstyles and monochromatic minidresses and Logans Run uniforms. It was very Mad Men/Jetsons/Partridge Family. If was the early 80's, everybody would look like they did in Stranger Things (now THAT is an accurate portrayal of the early 80's!) and if it were late 80's, the. More cheesy and less sleek.

That look was definitely pre-80's. More like late 60s to mid 70s.

Sigh. I'll try again.

Noah Hawley, the shows creator INTENTIONALLY MIXED UP THE ERAS. Hawley wanted to show Haller as an "unreliable narrator", including mixing 1960s design with modern-day elements, and filming the series through the title character's distorted view of reality.

I didn't make this up. If you can't trust the show's creator and you want to keep speculating, have fun with that.

Movies are IQ tests; the IMDB boards are how people broadcast their score.

Not everybody read your response before (I'm assuming you posted this before, since you seem very put out by having to repeat yourself?), so I'm not sure why you're so frustrated? If it's so annoying for us to keep speculating, maybe you should create a thread with 'Noah Hawley time period explanation' in the title so everybody sees it, instead of expecting people to dig through tons of posts for your small post?

Either way, an unreliable narrator mixing up time periods still doesn't tell us what time period it takes place in, and despite the style choices it does have to take place at some point in actual history. The reason people keeping wondering about it is because they want to know if David is too old to be Charles Xavier's son, or if they're keeping the backstory, as the creator was waffling about Legion's connection to the XMU.

Possible spoilers for the character but only if they stick to the comic book.
I have only seen episode 1 so some of my questions may have already been answered.

The character of David Haller in the comics has a huge bag of powers.
Telepathy, psychokinesis, pyrokinesis, reality warping, time travel and many more to come.
Each of these powers is activated when he manifests one of his personalities.
This adds another level to him as an unreliable narrator.

He could be twisting reality itself to match the expectations of the personality.
Legion could have actually traveled to various time periods, 4 of his personalities are know to be capable of time manipulation, which would explain why the setting is so varied.
Personality number 5, no actual name in the comics, is the "real me" in the comic books but have we met that personality yet?
In later comics he had a neural switchboard wristband that allowed him to use specific powers without having to give control to another personality.
Some of the personalities have even left Legion and taken control of other people.

To me this will either develop into a great show or devolve into a total mess.

I'm really looking forward to it.

The end credits which say the author/artist of the comics it's "based off" (very loosely) came out and were set in the mid 1980s. So maybe that's it, but obviously govt guy was using a friggin touch screen so yeah lol

----------------------------------

So yeah, that's how I feel anyways

They intentionally mixed up eras in order to support the "unreliable narrator" construct. They want the viewer to feel off-kilter.

Movies are IQ tests; the IMDB boards are how people broadcast their score.

I thought it was just in his mind. last time he saw everything was probably around that time period.

We'll see how things really are once they get to a city.
That gear didn't look like it came from the 70s.

Isn't the show set in whatever time period he has experienced? 70's to 90's?

I am assuming he can jump time periods within his mind...

is this a joke there is no time period it surreal, guy questioning him had a touch tablet, scenery was 60s 70s an 80s feel to it all mixed up his mind is too clouded with drugs.

the creator mention it has no time set. They made an effort to show no cars either as that gives it a date. he said his style is 60's/modern day.

They designed it so that it appears to be something like the 90s or 70s, yet also have elements of modern technology.

This is done as the idea is that we see the world through David's eyes, and this is how he is perceiving the world, through the medication and his messed up mind. It's quite well done, and allows you to feel David's insane world.

not sure if it helps but the two douches in the tent mention "Not after what happened in Red Hook" The only thing of significance to happen in Red Hook was a multiple shooting in August of 2015.

Red Hook, Brooklyn, contained a Hydra base.
The base was the location of Project Backtrack that built a suit of time traveling armour.

This program just screams time travel doesn't it?

It's set in modern day but it has a 60s style.

I finally gave up trying to determine that. There are tons of stylistic and technical elements from the late 50s through the future. It's an imaginary comic book universe that doesn't correspond with ours, near as I can tell.

I think it's layers of memories by David. Somewhat like Inception except here it's David having memories of memories within memories. So each scene has some objects from a different period of David's life.

Let that roll around in your melon for a while...