The Matrix : What the *beep* is this atrocity?!?!!

What the *beep* is this atrocity?!?!!

Got to say I was a baby when this film was released, and I only got to watch it for the first time a few nights ago. I had really high expectations because of the high IMDb rating and other people's reviews. I forced myself to watch it till the end, although I hated it from the first minute. I am a fan of Keanu Reeves, I am a fan of sci-fi films and I studied modern philosophy for quite a while, both in high-school and at university, so I'm really not outside of the subject and am quite a smart individual. But for the life of me, I can NOT understand what people see in this film!! It's bloody non-sense! The visuals are ridiculous, the story is too confusing to allow the watcher to keep up, the fight scenes are a joke, the overall style is dead gothic and some scenes made me gag! How is this film a classic? Why does this film have 8,7 rating??? Why???? Can anyone explain??

Re: What the *beep* is this atrocity?!?!!

some scenes made me gag!

With a spoon???

He's far too young to get 80's Valley talk reference. Shame, even with the Internet kids are still clueless.

Haha!

"But they knew they f**ed up." James Rolfe as AVGN

It is simply called personal taste. I happen to love this movie and have seen it at least 10 times. But I have only seen about half of the movie E.T. and think that Goodfellas is overrated. I also hear that some people don't like The Shawshank Redemption, which I find baffling. If it's not your thing, that's OK. Take the blue pill and wake up in your own bed.

"Hamburgers, the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast." - Jules Winnfield.

How exactly is the film confusing? The movie has a relatively simply story, but it incorporates elements from literature, philosophy, and anime to give it a sense of style. Which by the way, isn't exactly what I'd call gothic, aside from the fact that they all wear black.

And how are the fight scenes a joke? Compared to today's shaky-cam filled drivel, The Matrix has excellent fight choreography and shot composition, and they all serve a purpose in the story.

Roraio, if you could list some movies you DO like, it would make it easier for others to explain what you are missing in The Matrix.

I liked "Ex Machina" (2015) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470752/?ref_=nv_sr_1 - appropriate film genre perhaps.. So tell me, what am I missing in Matrix? :)

You seem to be missing the multiple literary influences, religious elements, and anime-inspired tone, setpieces, and dialogue.

And Ex Machina is a far different film from The Matrix.

You were a baby when it came out. That says it all. "You were born into a prison, a prison that you cannot see nor smell nor touch. A prison, for your mind" ( lol ) . But seriously , I think the high rating is based on a majority who saw this when it came out, or shortly thereafter. Just like how I would probably have the same reaction to some old 70's sci fi movie, I think a lot of it has to do with the quality/type of movies you've known since you were old enough to comprehend them, and something like this might pale in comparison to anything modern that would come out today. But thats just my theory, at least, about a lot of people who watched something like this because of a hype or rating, that was based on an older time's perspective on what was a groundbreaking awesome new movie.

The plot is pretty straightforward: in the future, humanity loses a war against intelligent machines they created and are forced to live in a virtual prison their minds are plugged into called the Matrix. But only a select few of these humans have become unplugged (freed) from this computer system.

Meanwhile, outside of the Matrix in the real world, machines need sunlight to survive on earth but hamans used technology to black out the sky during the war. This is why the earth is dead and destroyed in the scene with Neo and Morpheus. Cutoff from sunlight, the machines now harvest the bodies of humans who are in the Matrix as an energy source.

Finally, the plot focuses on Neo who is believed to be the only one who has the ability to control anything he wants within the Matrix. So, some of the humans who are already unplugged from the Matrix unplug him too and seek his help in freeing humanity and ending the war, even though Neo fully believe in himself.

This is just the basic stufd. Once you understand this, the movie is really quite fascinating.

Also, this is just a light version of what is going on here. There are a TON of more things going on in this movie that really makes it stand out, right down to its influence on pop culture and its theme of believeing in yourself, but that's for another post.

Sorry, that should say that even though Neo doesn't fully believe in himmself yet.

This film is sooooo deep, lmfao

However, you mein freund party djizz, are not.

Thanks for the synopsis, and I'm being real. :)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

watch 2 & 3 they are much better :)

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls079023906/

the story is too confusing to allow the watcher to keep up

Are you dumb or something? The story was very easy to understand.

HI roraio,
When the movie came out I was 10, I really watched it for the first time a couple of years ago and it has become one of my favourites movies. I love the story and how it mirrors our reality through allegory and metaphors. I see Neo as the hero inside all of us: infinite potential unleashed through self belief. I think it's an awesome inspiring film

I believe if you find it too confusing to "keep up", either you were not really paying attention or you are not as smart as you think you are. The story is simple and everything is explained so that it makes sense. The visuals, obviously, are not at today's standards , since it's a fairly old movie, but I would disagree to call them "ridiculous".

Ultimately, I guess it's just a matter of taste.

There was a similar criticism of The Usual Suspects. A younger person who had not seem the film at the time of its release couldn't appreciate it.

The answer is: All movies, music, thoughts and ideas are a product of their time. Encountering any of these things out of context should make it more difficult to appreciate.

Upon its release, I saw The Matrix in theaters about six times. I didn't get "everything" right away (during my first viewing) but, at the time, it was new, different, visual pleasing, included martial arts and it was one-of-a-kind. I wanted to see it over and over for these reasons.

It's more difficult to appreciate it for what it was in the time frame of its release when you may have seen several movies influenced by The Matrix after the fact.

Essentially, you have seen the movie out of time and "out of context."

You've been living in a dreamworld.

Sounds like you watched it with extremely inflated expectations which had no chance of being met. Oh well.

I just showed it to a 20 year old guy yesterday, and he thought it was awesome. Put it in his top 5 right away. Saying "do these people have super powers?", "this is crazy!" "what's going on?" I told him he'd get all the answers he was looking for.

He didn't ask a single question after it was over. I CAN get why you were confused DURING the movie, especially the first half. I don't understand how you don't get it AFTER it's over. They totally explain it, IN the movie.

If you don't get whats going on after ALL those "training" and construct scenes (basically all one mega-exposition), you're probably not as bright as you think you are. It's practically spoon (heh) fed.

I don't care if you hated it, but your gripes make no sense and do no represent the film. I cannot help but wonder if you were on your phone/tablet/computer while watching it. A distraction like that can make films confusing and difficult to follow, and sadly seems to be the new norm.
Also, wtf is "Dead Gothic"?

I don't care if you hated it, but your gripes make no sense and do no represent the film. I cannot help but wonder if you were on your phone/tablet/computer while watching it.

LMFAO@ watching the entire Matrix Trilogy on a phone. That's funny.

LMFAO@ watching the entire Matrix Trilogy on a phone. That's funny.

What I was referring to is the contemporary practice of using 2 devices at once, known as 'second screening' or 'dual screening'.
E.g. you are constantly on your phone/tablet/computer(checking facebook, serfing the web, etc) while watching a film or TV. They end up extremely distracted and miss out on pertinent details.

What I was referring to is the contemporary practice of using 2 devices at once, known as 'second screening' or 'dual screening'.
E.g. you are constantly on your phone/tablet/computer(checking facebook, serfing the web, etc) while watching a film or TV. They end up extremely distracted and miss out on pertinent details.

Yes, I get it. I just think the idea is funny. Like trying to do integral math problems while cooking duck l'orange and building a tree house for your kids. You probably aren't going to be able to do a good job at any of them.

Dear Roraio

The film is considered so highly rated because when you were born, no other films before had come close to work this complicated. The Wachowskis wanted to do basically a real-life version of "Ghost in the Shell" which was a Japanime or Manga that was about action, futuristic cyborgs, identity and philosophy. The Matrix, Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions was inspired by this and also a fair number of theories, philosophies and ideas that were at the time well ahead of their time, and to this day has not been completely well understood.

This is a science fiction film, an action film, a hong kong martial arts film, a fantasy film, a comic book film, a geek film, a philosophy film, a conspiracy theory film and a religious or spiritual film.

The film is basically asking a simple question, what if our real world was actually not all it appeared to be. What is this world that we have been raised in? Something we were all raised in was a womb, and another word for a womb is Matrix. The essential question of the film: "What is the Matrix" is what is our actual relationship with the world itself.

For some the world is perfect, we have our freedom of choice of what we can do in this world, we can get what we want to buy, we can work how we want to work, we can believe in many things. The world basically provides us with everything we need. The police and government provide protection, and those who seek to harm us are called terrorists. Some could say the world is perfect, a modern version of Eden.

Now imagine there are people against this world. That the world itself is not a paradise but a prison. That we are manipulated to do things, that our freedoms are an illusion. That the world is there to hide us from the truth, and the government, corporations and people of authority are in it. Some of these people who believe this kill other people, because they support the system or the establishment. We call those people terrorists. But as it has been said 'one man's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter'. This terrorist we could also call a conspiracy theorist, or someone who believed that we are trapped in a false society and need to be freed from it.

Now imagine you're a person who is not sure if they're for the world or against it. They've noticed a few odd things here and there, and feel there's something wrong with the world, and they want to know what the world is really like. The quest is not only just out of a desire to know, it is also a philosophical, a scientific, even a spiritual or political desire. Now you are given a choice, like Adam in Eden you can just Live Life and believe whatever, or you can obtain Knowledge about how the world truly is.

Now imagine that the real world isn't a paradise, it's a hell. A hell caused not only by human beings, but these inhuman machines, who are using us as batteries to run their system, who are using us as a source of their own power. This is a political as well as physical or spiritual notion. The machines are almost demonic in their otherness, they are like demons possessing us as agents of the system take over people in the Matrix. That the world you believed was real, the world you were raised in, is actually a fake reality. The real world is hell. But is it hell because of something we've done? Or is it hell just compared to the world of the Matrix we were previously in, and have now been born out of.

We realize reality is what our brain makes of it, and because the brain is what interprets reality, it is linked to the body and how it responds to the world around us. The Matrix is like a world of distraction, how some people view The Internet, as a form of distraction against the real world. Notice how those who are unplugged from The Matrix can hack into the Matrix through phone lines, the way most people connected to the Internet in the 1990s. Notice that rogue humans, and humans born outside of the matrix, live underground. This could represent the underground movement of those against the establishment. Or it could represent hell. That like Adam, we have fallen from Eden, and now live in The Wilderness or Hell, because we are separated from that which provided everything we needed.

Then we are told that there was a person born inside the Matrix who could reshape it, who freed the first of the people from The Matrix. After he died, an Oracle prophesized his return, that his coming would free people from the Matrix, and end the war between Man and Machine. This everyday person, unplugged from The Matrix is told to be the second coming, the one who will free everyone and stop the conflict. This is the role that those who believe the world of Matrix to be false and a prison, that we as an ally are capable of changing. That is our role in this new world.

Then we are told that when back inside The Matrix, that how the Matrix works is by manipulating your mind. By knowing the tricks of the system, and knowing that it isn't real, one is able to deconstruct the Matrix in their minds and thus move through the system without getting caught in any of its traps. We can see the codes that make up the program that is our world. We are a true individual now in that we can recognize symbols, and that we are basically a person of our own will. Nietszche, a philosopher, called this person a Ubermensch or Superman. Others say that this person has become one with Brahman in the Hindu tradition. This person has reached Christ Consciousness, or has become a Boddhisiva, a person who has become detached from the world and sees it for the falseness that it is, but is able to use it to their own advantage. They have become enlightened, they have become the adept. And this is where The Matrix film ends.

The film is basically about how we exist in a womb, a Matrix, and are born, and we realize our own separation as an individual. Not only from the Matrix but from the people who have birthed us. We can decide to do things they wouldn't dream of doing, such as Neo using guns and attacking the machines and agents, which no one else has done before. It is through this emotional individuality, that he becomes a true individual able to separate himself from the construct of reality, and are thus what spiritual people call enlightened. We have witnessed the birth of the physical, emotional and mental individual. Neo is also linked to Jesus Christ, The Buddha, the Nietschean Superman and Superman the superhero.

The Matrix was all about the coming of the One, the Saviour, the MEssiah. This seems all very biblical and that Neo by freeing himself from the fake world and freeing others is doing a good thing. That being inside the MAtrix is bad, being outside is good. But this is not necessarily the case. As mentioned before if The Matrix could be like the Garden of Eden in that it provides people with everything they need, then Neo has rebelled from that Eden. He is not just a rebel from The Matrix, he is willing to kill innocent people and destroy buildings, effectively being a terrorist. His falling from Eden is not only similar to Lucifer's fall from Heaven, but Adam's fall from Eden. In a sense Neo is also Luciferian, a demon perhaps using occult knowledge.

The other interpretation, which I think is more the case is that Neo is the fallen person. He is us, as Christians, Jews and Muslims say, we have fallen from perfection and live in a world of great imperfection. We need to be reconciled with our creators, who are revealed in the Matrix as The Machines. If men of Zion, the only human city in the real world, can be related to Hell and demons, then the Machines can be related to the world of Spirits. The agents are actually Angels in The Matrix. Agent Smith, thus an Agent wanting to free himself from the Matrix is a Luciferian character as well. The idea that the Matrix can also be preferable to the real world by Cypher mentions that the Matrix could be an Eden for some, but a Hell for others.

In The Matrix Reloaded, Neo visits Zion. If the Matrix can be seen as a prison for one's mind, then the Matrix can be said to represent the mental level of existence or the mind. The real world with its machines generating a false reality, and real life human beings, could be related to the body. This is related when Neo and Trinity have sex, which is the indvidividual becoming now an adolescent. He learns about his role as he goes through a new education with The Oracle. He is going through a school, learning about programs. He learns that The Oracle is a machine program, and thus could be a new form of control. He learns that there are not only people rebelling from the machines, but other programs are rebelling from the machines by hiding in the Matrix as exiles.

Neo is told his role is to go to The Source, but Neo has dreams of Trinity getting killed, and he is already dedicated to stopping that from happening. What he's there to know now is not "What is his choice, his decision about The MAtrix" but "Why he made the choice." He finds out later that Smith exists freed from his servitude to the Agents, but now wants to exist and control all things. He is becoming a virus, which is similar to how he saw humanity before his Fall. If Neo is meant to be Christ-like, saving people from a false matrix, Smith is the ANti-Christ, trying to control everything. Or is it the other way around? Is Neo the ANti-Christ trying to stop people from helping the machines, and is Smith the new Christ the only way for people to band together and become one to destroy the Anti-Christ Neo from destroying the world?

NEo also talks to the Merovingian, an exile program, who is basically the true Lucifer like person. We are later revealed he runs a club called Hel. He is also Hades, lord of the underworld, as Hel is an underground club. Like Hades he has his own wife, Persephone. They try to hold onto their power with their rebel exiles and fight for their own control of The Matrix. They know that Why is what separates the powerful from the powerless. Smith also has mentioned prior to Neo's second visit to The Oracle is that all this has 'happened before'. Merovingian talks about Neo's predecessors, which we later see revealed from The ARchitect.

The ARchitect is who stands between The Matrix and The Source, the machine mainframe, or Heaven as we might call it, given the Matrix being related to Eden or perhaps Earth itself, if the real world is related to Hell. The One is actually revealed to be a form of control, getting those who don't want to be in the Matrix all in one place, so they can be destroyed adn the Matrix rebooted, Zion reestablished for the next cycle and so the cycle of cleansing the Matrix begins again. But Neo knows Trinity is in danger, and out of his love for her, chooses not to join The Source and rebel against his supposed mission as The One, and decides to save Trinity, which he does.

Neo also realises that not only is he able to manipulate The Matrix, but the machines attacking people in the real world. In his first attempt to do so, he is rendered into a coma, his mind jacked into a world also between The Source and The Matrix. We are also told that the Machines, knowing where Zion is, is about to attack it and destroy all the people there, while Neo's not becoming part of the source now leads to a possibilty of a systems crash. Not only is this possible but SMith is taking over other people plugged into the Matrix, Agents and Exiles as well. As the first film was about birth, this film is about life. Neo has learned of his role, learned that his role is a form of control, and has rebelled against it, and in a way become deeper connected to the real world.

In The Matrix Revolutions, Neo is rescued from the place between The Source and The Matrix, Mobil Station, Mobil an anagram of Limbo. Neo meets a family of machines, whose daughter is to become an exile. Neo learns that machines not only rebel against other machines, but are capable of believing in love and karma. The machines are actually not so inhuman as we first thought, but are as human as we are. Neo meets the ORacle for a third and final time, and learns that SMith is now the new threat, and will take over the Matrix and then the machine world and the real world, as he has already downloaded into an unplugged human and taken over his body by his mind: Bane.

Neo learns that he has to confront himself with THe Source, and so TRinity accompanies him, but so does BAne, who fights and blinds Neo in the real world. But Neo can now see Smith as codes of light and is thus able to destroy him in the body of Bane. But the real Smith is still inside the Matrix, who takes over not only the daughter exile of the machine family, but also the Oracle, and foresees his victory over Neo and The Matrix.

Neo, now able to see the machines and humans grown by machines, as well as the matrix, in codes of light, representing Spirit, Neo is now able to take down the machine army attacking the ship he and Trinity are in. Meanwhile teh machines attack Zion and the rest of the humans fight them off as best as they can but are soon left in the cave trying to hold back the machines from killing everybody. If The Matrix was the Garden of Eden or Earth, and Zion is Hell, then this is the real battle of Armageddon between Heaven and Hell, and Heaven appears to be winning. Neo and Trinity crash into the machine city, and Trinity eventually dies.

ALl this, Neo's realization of machines as humanlike, of Smith being his true enemy, a negative of him, a part that Neo has been trying to repress, his blinding and his losing the love of his life, is all about the process of aging. LEarning that other people aren't inhuman, that there is a side to himself that he has not integrated with, that he becomes blind, but sees spiritually, and has lost essentially his wife, are things many people go through as they age on the way to dying.

Neo realises that he has to sacrifice his life to fight Smith, and makes a deal with the Deus Ex Machina, or God from the Machine. Basically, in a spiritual sense, fallen Man has met God and has decided to help God, and in the end wants peace between humans and machines, between demons and angels, between man and god. The machines attacking Zion stand down and because of this the humans in Zion wait to see what happens. Neo fights Smith and continues fighting him, until he realises that the only way to defeat SMith is to integrate with him and have Smith overtake him. He links to the part of himself that he has repressed, and now unites body, mind and spirit as he is absorbed by Smith. From the machine viewpoint, it is from being inside and connected to all the SMiths, that the machines can delete SMith, reboot the Matrix and thus lead to the great peace. People who want to be freed are allowed to be freed, and the war between man and machine is now essentially over. Neo has died but he has fulfilled the prophecy, and the last image is of his light code, or spirit becoming one with the machines or the world of spirit. As The MAtrix was about birth, The MAtrix Reloaded about life, The Matrix Revolutions is about Death. How at death, people integrate with their negative self, their shadow in psychological terms, and through their death, unify body, mind and spirit and transcend into the spiritual realm.

In the beginning, The Matrix, the machines and the rebellious humans were all separate from one another, alienated, and at war with each other. Now they are all united as One, and at peace. This is all due to the life of one person. That person could be you or me. It could be any of us. And that what we do in this life of ours can really make a difference.

Not only is this intense life story told in the MAtrix TRilogy, of fallen Man's reconciliation with God and all existence, but there is a lot of cool action, science fiction and fantasy scenes, superhero like fights, and discussions of philosophy, religion and politics as well. Thus the Matrix is the world we are born from and into which we will return. The Matrix is our world, our home, and like the hero in the hero's journey, we have separated, become initiatied to our real role, and returned to the ordinary world with an elixir. The Matrix was SEparation, The MAtrix Reloaded was Initiation, and The Matrix Revolutions was Return.

I hope this has explained everything. No other film like this has been this deep, or as action packed. It is entertainment and education at the same time. This is why it may seem an atrocity to you Roraio, but a masterpiece to those willing to take as they say the "red pill" and see how far the rabbit hole goes. ;)

Great post.

This is all due to the life of one person. That person could be you or me. It could be any of us. And that what we do in this life of ours can really make a difference.

Lilly Wachowski in fact has said it's got to be all of us.

Lilly: We have a conflicting perspective on individualism, especially on American exceptionalism. The idea that America is special because of the individual. Our characters... there's this idea of the Messiah myth. But ultimately we have to (all of us) have to become the Messiah to go forward. In the [Matrix] trilogy, without the group effort, without every single person within the group doing absolutely everything they can, we don't go forward. Our heroes, the ones who are given the label of "The One," reject the label.

Andy has a take on "The One" anyway. Even in the trilogy, is that it's not about "The One" anyway — it's about the group.

And in Enter the Matrix:

The Oracle: "The truth is, that the path of the One is made by the many. And if but one fails, all fail."

Niobe: "If we fail, Neo fails. That cannot happen at any cost."

yes, I remember that in Journey to THe Source - THe Philosophy of The Matrix TRilogy, there's a scene where the Keymaker says "all must be done as one, if one fails, all fails" , which is related to the Upanishads, which is about monism, or all being in the one.

SPOILERS LIE AHEAD

Of course the individual The One cannot exist on its own, that's because all is One. We are all The One collectively. But I just wanted to point out how the film trilogy depicts the lifecycle of a human being, from conception (Neo awakening with "Wake Up, Neo," on his computer) to death (his eventual death at the end of REvolutions).

This is all due to the life of one person. That person could be you or me. It could be any of us. And that what we do in this life of ours can really make a difference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lilly Wachowski in fact has said it's got to be all of us.

The Oracle: "The truth is, that the path of the One is made by the many. And if but one fails, all fail."

Niobe: "If we fail, Neo fails. That cannot happen at any cost."

I must disagree.

These are all very nice philosophies of life which we should carry with us in this world. But it isn't what we see in the Matrix movies.

What we see is a situation where only one person (Neo) matters in a fight against higher powers. And even he is being used as an expendable pawn by another higher power (The Oracle).

It doesn't matter in the slightest what anyone from Zion does in this story. Captain Mifune lives? dies? Doesn't matter. The Kid taking over and killing thousands of squids? Doesn't matter.

A brilliant strategic move kills all 250,000 attacking squids at once? Doesn't matter. The Machine world anticipated that (since it happened 5 times previously) and immediately sent 250,000 more. Repeat and continue until Zion is destroyed. As The Architect says, they are very efficient at it.

The only thing Zion does to help save itself is provide Neo with a ship, and even that is met with much resistance. They are hardly "all working together" in any appreciable way you could hope to picture it.

In all three movies there are mean, nasty, selfish human beings who potentially mess everything up for everybody, including Switch, Cypher, Lock, Roland, etc.

I hated it from the first minute.

Sure you did.

the story is too confusing to allow the watcher to keep up

I'm really not outside of the subject and am quite a smart individual

Obviously not.

Hail to the king, baby.

@roraio -My best guess is that your brain isn't finished cooking yet. Of course I can't be certain, but you did say you were a baby when The Matrix was released. Just give it time. Watch it again in a few years and see if you've developed an appreciation for this movie.

P.S. If my tone sounds condescending, it's only because you dared to come here and insult The Matrix, to a board of The Matrix lovers. However, my comment is also true. I've experienced it myself. I was 19 when I first saw The Shinning, and I thought it was absolute trash. I was damn near 30 when I saw it again, and thought it was a masterpiece. It's still one of my favorites. I can only conclude that, at 29 years of age, my brain had finally finished cooking.

Lawrence Fishburne said many people might not like this movie or appreciate it because it's too smart.

So I guess he was right.