The Soapbox : What should I do to support myself?

What should I do to support myself?

I'm trying to figure out a way to support myself that's a job I like, like people say you can do…

I was gonna get a certificate as a hotel concierge for about $300+ I think for 6 months. I felt like I was too old for it to excite me anymore.

Now, I want to get a certificate in being a hospital receptionist. It's about $600+ and takes 1 year. You can also do $70/month. I think I've finished getting furnishings for my room and can start saving. My SSI minus rent left is about $480 a month. I'll probably make a few hundred more dollars working at Macy's for the holidays in retail.

So, this certificate is to ensure more that I have a chance at being hired probably. It's so I can support myself. However, my therapist is thinking I should go to a group home instead and that "school" would just be too much of a load while relocating. I need to schedule another appointment around work. The people weren't in the office last time.

I still want to do music and art, but this way I'll be able to support myself for the time being. I can do music after work and at least art for fun and crafts.
I'm not really sure what I should do for sure yet.

Floridian/French-New-Orleanian • Dutch-Chinese-Indonesian/Irish/German/French/Dutch • Blog

Re: What should I do to support myself?

Why don't you ask your therepist? Maybe they can get you into a work program.

They told me to volunteer, but I tried the kennel and it was too hard to remember all the weird steps to care for each dog, among others.

Floridian/French-New-Orleanian • Dutch-Chinese-Indonesian/Irish/German/French/Dutch • Blog

I mean maybe your therapist can help get you into paying jobs. That way you can save up money.

I'm working seasonally at Macy's right now, for the holidays, maybe it seems until December.

Apply for job training at Goodwill or Salvation Army. They specialize in helping people like you by teaching them basic practical skills to find a little job they can actually do while disillusioning of them of the nonsense that they can become hotel concierges, ballerinas, rocket scientists, concert pianists, or whatever insane thought floats into their pea brains every time the wind shifts or something bright flashes in the general direction of their eyes.

The idea of you being a hotel concierge genuinely made me chuckle. Have you considered a career in stand up comedy? You would absolutely kill it.

What happened to the American Dream? It came true! You're lookin' at it…

Thanks for the info.

It might be hard for me to remember lines as a comedian.

Just say whatever comes into your head naturally while twirling around like a drunk ballerina and you'll have them rolling in the aisle.

But seriously, check out that job training in case you bomb as a comedian. If you don't have something to fall back on like mopping toilets you might end up like Steve Lake.

What happened to the American Dream? It came true! You're lookin' at it…

You’re going to hell

Get a job at an Amazon Warehouse.

And don't call in sick on your second day.

"That's a dumb question, Miss Glenn’s Organ."

I can't keep up. So she's admitting that she quit or lost her job at Macy's?…I didn't know.