Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence : What does Homo Ermachina mean?

What does Homo Ermachina mean?

What does Homo Ermachina mean?

That phrase appears next to the statue that is outside Kim's house.

I would appreciate the help because I have been unable to find any information on the net.

Thanks.

Re: What does Homo Ermachina mean?

I'm not a Paleontologist but applying a bit of deductive reasoning my guess would be...

The current state of human evolution is Homo Sapien which is the "genus of bipedal primates" with Sapiens bit being "modern human", so at a guess as lin decided to evolve himself into a complete machine Homo Ermachina probably means something along the lines of "genus of human bipedal erect machine"

Just my 10p, anybody else have a view?

TH

Thank you very much for your help

It's been a while since I've watched this, but are you sure it says "Ermachina" and not "Exmachina"? "Homo Ex Machina" would mean "The Machinery of Man", which would make sense at the base of a statue representing the anatomy of a human leg in mechanical form...

Homo Ex Machina rather means "Man out of the Machine", as if the new human species is born from machines...

I don't see how that could be the case. Deus Ex Machina, a very well known phrase, means 'the machine/machinations of god', as in something contrived through the actions of a deity. Simply changing 'Deus' to 'Homo' shouldn't result in such a divergent interpretation.

That's a nice interpretation of the meaning as applied to plot devices, but even wikipedia states: deus ex machina - literally, in Latin, "god from the machine".

That's because, originally, the word applied to a literal machine that was used to lower gods on to the stage in ancient Greek tragedy. The generally intended meaning has shifted since then to the one I describe.

Excellent discussion - i stand corrected!