History : Unit 731

Unit 731

Trigger warning: contains dramatic images

It's astonishing to know this is a part of history that contains such atrocities, yet so many people are unaware of its existence. What's horrifying about these events is not just that they occurred to innocent people, but that America pardoned them and reached an agreement, allowing the participants to go on to become millionaires, receive medals of honour, gain their freedom and hold positions of power.

"Do you love my insides? The parts you can't see? Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet?" ~~ Drusilla

Re: Unit 731

Wow. They made an X-Files episode on this, but I didn't think it had actually happened.

My password is password

Please no, Lilith.

My password is password

Oh, I've been aware of this nasty part of WWII history for some time. It's tough to read about it, or see images of it. Not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

BTW, various films & documentaries have been made about this unit, including this 1988 Hong Kong-produced film, Men Behind the Sun, which falls under the category of exploitation horror, and can be seen here:

https://filmboards.com/board/10093170/

Other titles related to Unit 731:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731#Films

Yes! I'm familiar with Men Behind the Sun. It came up when I was researching these events. It's horrifying.

I wanted to post this video, which is one of the shortest ones out there that I've seen about the issue. There are some videos that are around 90 minutes long. I've always been interested in history, that's why it bothers me when I see it being revised to make it more palatable, or when subjects are avoided simply because they're not pleasing. I'm still willing to bet there are more people who'll be familiar with what happened in Germany than in Manchuria.

"Do you love my insides? The parts you can't see? Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet?" ~~ Drusilla

Iirc, the americans pardoned them because their research was deemed invaluable.

I won't watch the video. Just hearing a summation of what they done is enough. Not even the Nazis would've done what they done.

I'm surprised Eli Roth hasn't made a movie about it.

In the video I posted, the most "disturbing" images are of frostbite on one pair of hands, a covered body on a stretcher, and a person being sprayed with a hose. Believe me, there are videos out there that show the actual vivisection and there are incredibly barbaric photos, as well as far more vivid language being used to describe what experiments were done, than that in this particular video. This clip is the mildest one out there, which is why I selected this as opposed to other, more graphic content. I'd never post anything like that.

You are correct. They were pardoned in exchanged for full disclosure of "everything" that their "studies" found. (However, the Japanese had an unplayed card they left behind for good measure). This is another part of history that we need to not forget or abandon, but to remind us of man's willingness to go to great lengths when ego is involved, and how psychopaths exist in both the dark, behind the walls,…and in the light, under the guise of doing good.

This was sanctioned by the emperor himself who felt he was ordained to rule not just Japan, but the world, by any means necessary.

Why aren't people as outraged about these horrific acts in history, but they're outraged about others? Selectivity at its finest.

First time I heard of this story, it was about the fate of an american B-29 bomber crew who were sent to this unit. It's the stuff of nightmares.

For this story to be more widely known, then it would have to be done by the Nazi's. There's more emphasis on what they did than the Japanese.

(However, the Japanese had an unplayed card they left behind for good measure)

Which was that?

Why aren't people as outraged about these horrific acts in history, but they're outraged about others? Selectivity at its finest.

Good question. Being state sanctioned experiments and not a rogue unit makes it a million times worse.

After reading 'The Naked Island' by Russell Braddon, I'm not at all surprised by this video.

My password is password

There are some very fucked up people in the world and they're everywhere hiding behind their civilized masks.

My password is password

Unfortunately wars generally descend into barbaric savagery.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon!

Yes, they do. I understand casualties of war on an intellectual level. However, this was an inexcusable and intentional violation of innocent human life for the purpose of experimentation.

Yes I'm sure it was, just like the Nazis' experiments in WW II. Sometimes man's
extreme cruelty is simply incomprehensible.

by MovieManCin2 August 03, 2022 11:22 PM
Member since February 19, 2018

Yes I'm sure it was, just like the Nazis' experiments in WW II.
Sometimes man's extreme cruelty is simply incomprehensible.

Agreed.
What I'll say in a few with the translation of the Wiki-article is NO excuse for German and Japanese actrocities. It shows that people can be evil, merciless and incredibly violent across the World.

Tyskerbarn

As Tyskerbarna (“German children”) or Krigsbarna (“war children”), also Tyskerunger, children are referred to in Norway, who were conceived by Germans and Austrians with Norwegian women during the German occupation in World War II between 1940 and 1945.
Their mothers were called Tyskertøs ("German whores").
According to estimates, up to 12,000 children were conceived, of which around 8,000 were later cared for as part of the Lebensborn program.
….
….

One of the most famous "German child" is the singer of the pop group ABBA Anni-Frid Lyngstad *1945, who was born in Norway and grew up in Sweden.
….
….

After war, especially in Norway, many of these children were mistreated, sexually abused, forcibly psychiatric institutionalized and adopted, which drove several to suicide.
In Norway, after the end of the occupation, a senior doctor attested all “German children” from the Lebensborn homes collectively "moronic and deviant behavior”. The reason: women who had fraternized with Germans were generally "weakly gifted and antisocial psychopaths, some of them extremely feeble-minded".
It can be assumed that their children inherited this.
"Father is German" was enough for the briefing.
Some of them were exposed to medical experiments with LSD and other drugs.
Their identity papers were destroyed, forged or withheld as “secret material” until 1986.

In 1959, the Federal Republic of Germany paid Norway 50 million marks (about 25 million Dollars) as part of the compensation policy for these children.
None of this reached the affected; the whereabouts of the funds remain unclear to this day.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyskerbarn

Another ethical question in this context:
Is it ok to use knowledge gained by cruel experiments?

The answer to that is above my pay grade.

by MovieManCin2 August 04, 2022 12:47 PM

The answer to that is above my pay grade.

That "America pardoned" the Japanese for "invaluable research" is a historical fact.
That's not an answer to the ethical question.

As I said, the answer to that question is above my pay grade.

by MovieManCin2 August 04, 2022 12:55 PM

As I said, the answer to that question is above my pay grade.

Maybe you can elaborate that a little, my dear collegue? 🎶

I believe my statement was crystal clear.

by MovieManCin2 August 04, 2022 01:03 PM

I believe my statement was crystal clear.

No.

Sorry.

by MovieManCin2 August 04, 2022 01:35 PM

Sorry.

Jo, tut mir auch leid…fragt sich nur für wen. ☻
You obviously have a bad hair day.

Okay then.

Ha!
You added that dolphin later.
Your dolphin was only in your joke-thread before.
Therefore my dog-dolphin.

Had no idea about this. Thanks for sharing. Truly unspeakable evil. Those poor people…

Back to back rock-paper-scissors world champion

You're most welcome. I read about such a wide variety of things.

If you search a little, you'll see that to which I am referring with regards to just how extensive this so-called "research" went. It's beyond horrific.

Dammit this has been haunting me all night. Should’ve never googled :(((((

Back to back rock-paper-scissors world champion

I should never of Googled "meat spin"

The State Of You Mate!!

I hear you. I had learned about this prior, but then, while reading something else, Unit 731 was brought up, so I decided to research it more. What I learned jarred me to the core.

apparently, they were republicans:

Rape and forced pregnancy
Female prisoners were forced to become pregnant for use in experiments. The hypothetical possibility of vertical transmission (from mother to child) of diseases, particularly syphilis, was the stated reason for the torture. Fetal survival and damage to mother's reproductive organs were objects of interest.

My password is password

That research facility was in response to chlorine gas used by The US as a weapon of mass destruction during WWI.

Shira Ishii was doing his duty. He was very smart working out that deal with The USA in exchange for his pardon. We got a lot of information about Ishii's " top secret research facility" in Manchuria.

Better we know than not know. Better that the files of data were confiscated. You act like the US government were also the bad guys but I see them as the good guys regarding that problem with Japan and their atrocious biological experiments on human test subjects.

When are you going to share a video about The Tuskegee Experiements?

Should have let the Russians do what they want with them.

Viva Palestine!

Should have got the info they need and then whacked him.

Viva Palestine!

I couldn't walk away from that.