Lists and Recommendations : Top 10 most overrated movies?

Top 10 most overrated movies?

There are some movies which I do not get why people like them so much and here is what I think is probably the top ten. What do you think or what are yours?

A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather Part II
Dirty Dancing
The Usual Suspect
Wayne's World
Alien
Top Gun
Blade Runner
Gladiator
Die Hard

Re: Top 10 most overrated movies?

I agree with most of them, with the exception of A Clockwork Orange,The Godfather Part II, and Alien. Those are absolute classics!

Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😼

Actually I was thinking of swapping out Top Gun and Wayn's World and instead, putting on Brazil and The Deer Hunter. But what counts as more overrated? Overrated in how critically acclaimed they are in classics, or overrated that the young generation of today has actually has actually seen the movies and likes them such as Top Gun and Wayne's World?

That works for me!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Not only overrated but honestly one of the worst fucking movies I've ever had the misfortune to sit thru.

I came. I saw. I blew your lungs out past your backbone. Thanks for the target practice.

I haven't seen that one but can check it out.

Why torture yourself?

I came. I saw. I blew your lungs out past your backbone. Thanks for the target practice.

I am going to have to hurt you for having any of those movies on an overrated list lol

❤️️ "True friends are like stars, you don’t always see them but they are always there.” ❤️️

Most those are great movies. But you left out Avatar, horrible cartoon.

Administrator
"filmboards is a bold experiment in free speech and anarchy"
I GameBoy

Most those are great movies. But you left out Avatar, horrible cartoon.

I didn't think Avatar was overrated though, since everyone I know doesn't like it, and everyone who talks about it online doesn't like it either it seems, outside maybe some of the critics. So I didn't think it was overrated therefore.

Most of those movies are good. But your taste stinks with what you said about Avatar.

The Godfather 2, The Usual Suspects, Gladiator and Die Hard are fucking awesome. Agree with you somewhat on the rest tho.

The Big Lebowski

💜 Happily engaged to an Aaaasian….🐲㊙️🍜

Shawshank Redemption

Zack Snyder's Justice League (2021). Yes I know a lot of DC fans will be angry, but it's not 8.2 of 10 as IMDB shows.

Also want to add Godzilla vs Kong to the list. It was awful, 4/10.

DC fans are always angry, and who wouldn't be if your identity was built around having to pretend to like DC movies.

Calling a movie overrated is fucking retarded. It’s such an overused word and it’s a cop out. If you don’t like a movie just say so and then explain why.

Of course, there are some movies that really don’t deserve the praise they get like 90% of what the MCU churns out. Those movies are legitimately childish bullshit made on a production line. I cannot take anyone who thinks any of the Avengers movies are on the same level as stuff like Dark Knight, Logan, and Watchmen seriously, and I feel a murderous rage come on when they try to tell me those three movies I listed aren’t any good. Fuck, I hate clueless twats.

I’m definitely with Patrick. People are pretty fucking stupid.

I live. I die. I live again.

Patrick?

I can't help but notice this increasingly angry tone coming out of your posts larely. If you're about explode, will you give me a heads up so I can make some popcorn?

I love a good, explosive board rant.

Groovy

I dont like to let people know when I’m about to explode tho. I feel it’s best if that’s kept a surprise. I always love the look on people’s faces when I explode all over them out of nowhere.

💦💦🍆

I live. I die. I live again.

Disagree with:

Dirty Dancing
The Usual Suspects
Alien
Blade Runner

All of those are cinematic masterpieces.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)
Murdered by a Teutonic catfish

Actually I think I might have to put Leon: The Professional on the list too, and might swap it out with Alien or Blade Runner.

You're an actual idiot. Please stop talking to me.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

The Professional was good.

It's a metaphor for people who are selfish and cold hearted and for those who abandon children to go and do their own thing.

The girl is just lovely and very smart. Her family are a bunch of ghetto trash that don't care about her at all. They don't do anything to protect or nurture her and so they all end up dead.

Meanwhile, she still has hopes and even likes plants.

Leo is a pervert who is good at murdering people, so he is very ruthless.

Immediately, the girl's "life radiation" affects Leon. She demands to live and starts making Leon see the value of life, which he never thought about before.

So, she is like an angel that saves Leon from his selfish life and allows him to do good things before he dies, thus redeeming himself.

So, metaphorically, Leon is like the average rich or ghetto capitalist that "sells his soul" for money and personal freedom. These people do not love kids or anyone and just abandon them all the time. So, the movie is saying don't do that because having love and life makes you better and makes life much more important.

So, it's not just a crime movie but a comment on how to live.

It's a good movie if you pay attention the "character arc" of Leon, that means how he changes.

What the fuck did I just read?

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

If you put together every 16th letter it spells:

You're a fucking retard.

That's the theme.

I strongly suspect you're lying about your employment, and in actual fact, you're the patient of the person you claim to be.

What's my evidence for this? Hunch.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Post something with content you fucking retard.

Why post here?

Just passing the time while I take a shit, or wait for my proctology exam.

Why do you post here?

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

It's called out of his mind. LoL!!

Disagree with:

Dirty Dancing

Re: Top 10 most overrated movies?…

I saw Blade Runner BEFORE it's official release because my brother knew someone one who knew the local theatre owner. It IS a MASTERPIECE.

"I AM El Señor Fernando PÓO (💩)!!!!".

Clockwork Orange:

The whole movie theme is what's good, not necessarily the movie content.

The theme is about having a violent society that the violent people running it complain about.

The violent people running society use violence to stop the violent low level people from being violent. In the end, an extremely violent person, main character, beats the violent leaders at their game and is welcomed as a leader.

In real life, a guy that wants to murder people will get attacked and jailed. However, if a murderer joins the army, he can impress the murderers who run the army, and become a national hero and leader.

So, the movie is kind of about that and it's an anti-war type of film.

Alien: It was great because it was a very creative film regarding setting and ideas.

The alien was creative.

Also, the idea of humans in space was creative. At this point it's not just scientists in space but average blue collar type people. So, things and people are kind of gross and everyone is ill prepared for what's going to happen.

In addition, they live a completely controlled life and don't know it. The ship is run by an AI and a crewman is an android that no one knows about. So, it's a future world where you have zero freedom.

However, the one crew member is smarter than expected and defeats the plans to totally control the crew.

In follow films a major theme is that Ripley is controlled no matter what she does. So, the real horror isn't the alien it's living in a society that has no freedom.

Blade Runner:

This was made at a time when bad guys were EVIL and that is all. So, the good guy is going to have struggles but in the end the message is always bad people should die.

In this film the "bad guys" are victims of prejudice and slavery to the point where average people don't even think they are slaves. So, the bad guys are the good guys.

They just want to live and the main character goes around blindly murdering them. He doesn't realize it and so one of the supposed bad guys SAVES HIS LIFE because he values life.

None of that is typical in stories, at all, ever.

Also, there are good themes about death. Knowing you will die, sucks.

There excellent themes about life. If we ever create an AI that is 99.9% human where it thinks, knows it's alive, etc then what? What if we make one that's 95%, then what?

If you knew a human simulation that was at 99.9% and it really liked you and acted like your friend and you really liked it, what are you going to do? Could you turn it off?

I know that I could not hurt anything like that.

So, the movie IS GREAT because it's REAL science fiction as it explores things that could happen and how humans would reaction. It's a great movie to think about, if you are smart.

Gladiator:

It's just like Clockwork Orange, in many ways.

It's always what Jesus said, "If you live by the sword, you die by the sword" and that means whatever philosophy you live by will be used against you.

So, the main character was in the Roman army. The Romans made Nazis look like babies. So, head Nazi general gets turned into a slave and the society he fought for tortures him and destroys his life as he would have done to others.

So, it's Clockwork Orange in reverse.

The theme of the story is what is good.

In contemporary literary studies, a theme is a central topic, subject, or message within a narrative. Themes can be divided into two categories: a work's thematic concept is what readers "think the work is about" and its thematic statement being "what the work says about the subject".

The theme is about having a violent society that the violent people running it complain about.

Try again. Pffft!

That is the theme of the fucking movie you disgusting retard, lol.

The message within the narrative of Clockwork Orange is what I said.

You must have such a fucking low IQ that even when you look up a definition, you STILL don't know what it means.

Honestly, why remain alive?

Go buy some herron and call it a day.

Oh well as far as A Clockwork Orange and Leon, they did have good themes for sure, but it was just the execution I thought was kind of sloppy. I mean any movies can have good themes, but it's all about the execution, or no?

Not for me.

I used to love the 70s Dr Who shows. They had terrible self effects but very good thought provoking plots written by a different science fiction writer each episode.

Now, Dr Who has quality CGI but it got taken over by this gay guy who creates very shallow and stupid plots. That's because when he was a kid the shows he saw were about "monsters" even though they were the same I watched.

Since he's a shallow idiot, his interpretation missed all the science fiction. So, he's got a nice looking show that is dumb.

I didn't think Leon was poorly done. Clockwork had that 70s movie drabness about it but it was okay. It was kind of like a bunch of skits in many ways and didn't flow, but it was unique.

Re: Top 10 most OVERRATED movies?!…

I LOVE the CHEESY special-effects of CLASSIC 'Doctor Who'! I saw two STUPID episodes of the NUWHO and small parts of a few others. One of the two had aliens who LOVED to FART taking over the British Parliament; while the other was a RIP-OFF of the two FLY films, but instead of teleportation the device was supposed to make one younger. The scientist/inventor gives it a public demonstration and is turned into a giant flying insect. I think a mosquito instead of a fly.

Another one had some hospital building (complex) teleported to the Moon.

"I AM El Señor Fernando PÓO (💩)!!!!".

Re: Top 10 most OVERRATED movies?!…

The classic Who had philosophical plots that explored ideas.

The new Who seasons I watched had a lot of "gay" running around screaming, plastic surgery jokes, romance, and so forth. None of the shows were actual science fiction where some topic is explored about what could happen given some technology.

I just could not stand watching it any longer.

The gay screaming is too much.

I saw it was on HBO Max and figured I'd watch Peter whatever, the older guy. The first few episodes where him waking out, blathering, and running around screaming. I was like holy fuck! This show started out fucked and childish and remains so.

I can't imagine the female Who. The actress has such a flat quality I can't imagine it's any good or science fiction.

The show, of course, could be great.

Mean girls

Clueless was better

Jesus Christ is Lord ✝️