Hoodlum : This movie is just sad…

This movie is just sad…

Just like a Sopranos episode where it is only about senseless killing and violence.
That's it.
Nothing more to it than that.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

Re: This movie is just sad…

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

Exactly.

Not really,

There is a lot to it but it doesnt surprised me your small head couldnt get wrapped around it. There is racism, classicism, corrupt justice, brute force, lottery scam, hierarchy, mafia, story on how to get to the top, and the fall from the top, among many others….

Why didn't you post that in the first place?

Yeah, there was all that but all of that took a back seat to the violence.

Speaking to a brute about the intricate dynamics of a story with the act of violences as symbolic plots is of no pleasures of mine, my scene was a reference to a good scene.

Murdering an innocent and unarmed accountant in cold blood is a good scene to you?
By suggesting that and posting that GIF, you keep on making it look like that you agree that this movie is only about violence.
If that is what you want to do, no argument from me!

I don't really care for The Godfather movies but at least there was more of a plot and story to it with intelligence behind it or it made it more obvious while Hoodlum is only about violence.
If Hoodlum was about anything more than violence then they should have cut way back on it.
Not my fault that is all what I saw because that is all what they kept on showing over and over again.

A double crosser is innocent?
and yea, the scene was good, and funny. It's part of the trailer and Roth was smooth as the vicious Dutch Schultz's. I thought he should've won the Oscar. Perhaps reality is too strong for you as most of this actually happened is part of American History. In reality it was much more violent. Violence is always going around in America, in every state, in every corner. Perhaps if you didnt live in virtual reality you'd go out and take notice.

Not their fault you're too dumb to grasp the concept of the Movie.

An innocent and unarmed double crosser should be shot to death?
There was no indication the accountant knew it was a set up.
He was an innocent pawn that they used.
What was "funny" was just before he was murdered, they went in there with guns blazing and kept on shooting up an empty room.
Like they didn't notice no one was in there?
LOL!
Which further proves my point that is all what the movie was about.
Violence and nothing more than that.
If they wanted me to not see it that way then they should have had an imbalance of more talk and less shooting.
Scorsese and Coppla do it right with their mob movies.
There is a reason why theirs are better and this one is a forgettable pile of ****.

The best mob movie I have ever seen is the dramady Things Change.
You being an immature teenager wouldn't like it because no one gets whacked on screen.
You are not intelligent for a good story with some humor thrown in to make a good twist on the mafia.
It is more about friendship than mobsters just running around murdering everyone as they do in Hoodlum.

"…most of this actually happened…"
Prove it.
The head mobsters names were real but how much was fact vs fiction?
Not like we are going to know every single person who Dutch and Bumps murdered.

How is he innocent? A tax collecter who was right in the middle of the mafia gang. Im sure your very lenient when it comes to innocent and caught in the middle red-handed since your a Trump supporter.

He didnt have to know. He was caught in the middle of the gang wars and had to pay the price.

They used him for a reason. They didnt use some old lady down the block or someone's girlfriend.

Yea, they were going in there to kill and not just to kill anyone, but very dangerous men. Leave it to you to think they're going to go around and check in the building before they the shoot. Risking getting killed themselves.

When I go up killing I also go with blaze of bullets and check later who or what I shot at after I shot it fifty times like Dutch did.

Um, No. You're the only one to think this movie was just about violence and nothing more than that. Which proves my point that discussing it with a person like you is a lost cause after we established there were many points to the film.

I forgot the godfather and I dont like Goodfellas. If you like pseudo-gang Italian mafia films go right ahead. But there was nothing pseudo about the gang mafia violence in Harlem and Dutch was one of the most gun violent bullet ridden gangster of all-time. Probably more than any of those wops.

Most is based on the real gangsters, there was a real gang war, and the lottery did happened which then they decided to make it legal but that's how it started. With the fixing too! If you'd like to know more about it, read a book, ever heard of that or tried? Then you would see how close it is the real source.

That is your opinion on it.
Whatever.

And you can like this movie all you want to.
Will not change the FACT that it is on the bottom of the **** pile and with good reason.
Nothing you can do about that at all.
Ha ha ha!
With that, I am right and you are wrong.
Fact and not opinion.

It is a 6.3 which makes it above average!

The best of all Hollywood gangster films
This became one of my favorite gangster films when I first saw it, and watching it yet again after viewing very dissimilar projects like the Martin Landau Joe Bonnano biography or the "Valachi Papers", the "Godfather" or "Scarface" (both versions), "The Untouchables" (either version) or "Public Enemy", I've become pretty well convinced that this is the 'ultimate' gangster film, perhaps the only film that can compete with Scorsese's "Goodfellas" for the claim to be the best and most representative film of the genre.

What makes that especially interesting to me is that "Goodfellas" works by being almost obsessively realistic about organized crime - it is too much of a 'real life' to dismiss as pure psychopathology, yet clearly not enough of a living to want to throw one's self into it after learning something of its gritty details (such as the lack of any retirement other than a grave or a prison cell).

"Hoodlum", on the other hand, is the quintessential Hollywood genre film - more the legend than the fact, but hoping the legend can make the case better than the fact. The central protagonist presents just the right balance of determination, ruthless violence, and moral ambiguity, including a softer side or undeniable richness and complexity. The heroes and villains are clearly defined; the justification for the heroes to find themselves on the 'wrong side of the law' is unarguable. The gangster film has long been a genre in which Americans could work through their worst fears of living in a nation of many ethnicities; it just makes sense that the perfect gangster film would be about African Americans - the one ethnic group that is still denied total participation in our culture.

The period detail is excellent and the direction is solidly professional; so is the acting; in fact that is a major point in favor of this film, and all such films, that all the participants approach their work with as careful and as a skilled a professionalism as possible. They were clearly determined right from the start to make a good movie, and they did. Surprisingly, very few Hollywood films are made with this attitude, since it's assumed there that most audiences don't care. well this audience member certainly cares, and I both admire and respect the professional when it appears.

Beyond the richness of its issues, the film is also very entertaining. Yes, it is violent; it is also humorous, romantic, dramatic, and even, at times, philosophical. Much like "The Godfather" (which is a bit over-long to my taste), "hoodlum" is a 'complete package' gangster film that will leave you with a sense of having experienced life a little deeper than if you hadn't seen it.

I kinda liked it, though it's been awhile since I've seen it.

I do remember thinking not having Tim Roth, as Dutch Schultz, incoherently ranting about his millions in hidden treasure, to be a lost opportunity for a scene.