Where's Poppa? : This Could Have Almost Been X-Rated For 1970 Standards

This Could Have Almost Been X-Rated For 1970 Standards

If Midnight Cowboy was rated X in 1969 for the dark depiction of its homosexual undertones of New York's night-life showing the special bond of two male friends on screen, than I wonder how close Where's Poppa? came to an X-rating for its graphic language, nudity, and racial insensitivity? For 1970, the anti-PC humor in this film is shocking! This would still be a very strong R-rated movie today.

Does anyone know when (or if ever) this movie first appeared on broadcast TV? The networks must have trimmed it down by at least 30 minutes. Considering the movie was only about 80 minutes long, maybe it never made it to commercial TV because even today, far too much material would have to be edited.

Joe

Re: This Could Have Almost Been X-Rated For 1970 Standards

Get ready for a shock, it did actually make it to commercial tv despite some editing of course, i saw it on there back in the 80's. Yes, it did seem to gear toward an X rating for the material that you mentioned and also for the rape scene.
It all says that there were hypocrites back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Joe

I caught it on commercial TV also. The rape scene was completely cut and the sequence with the nude guy was gone too. Also the sound "mysteriously" disappeared quite a few times during the movie. Just remember--the ratings board was VERY liberal in the early 1970s. Most of the stuff that got an R rating back then would get an NC-17 now! ("The Wild Bunch" got an R back in the early 1970s--but was slapped with an NC-17 when reissued in the 1990s! The studio appealed and won.) BTW--The X rating for "Midnight Cowboy" was lowered to an R (with no cuts) on appeal.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

When the guy raped who he thought was a woman but turned out to be a cop in drag.

The film was full of dark black humor with nudity and swearing. This movie (in my opinion) went WAY over the line. I do applaud them for not showing any restraint but it's too often extreme and VERY sick.

THIS, a digital "movie channel" of the local WGAL here in Harrisburg PA, was showing it tonight. It was hacked to bits. A funny movie, but must be seen unedited to enjoy.

~LjM
Way down deep I'm very superficial.

That's funny--I caught it on Encore uncut a few years back. I agree--this should be seen uncut.

Post deleted

The movie went to the extreme--and kept right on going!

From what I remember it was Segal's brother who raped the cop (thinking he was a woman).

Post deleted

Raunchy sexual things? No. Cruel things? Yes. Most of the "humor" comes from language (sexual or otherwise)not anything graphic. BTW the rape is nevwer shown but you hear about it afterwards.

Post deleted

H-m-m-m-m, very informative.

Post deleted

KCOP 13 in Los Angeles played it a lot during the midnight hours throughout the 80s. That is how I remember seeing it so it was quite a culture shock when I finally bought the DVD and watched it.

http://bat115.hubpages.com/

This WAS x-rated when it first opened in NYC in 1970.

"For 1970, the anti-PC humor in this film is shocking! This would still be a very strong R-rated movie today."

It's quite a bit more shocking today since now we actually have political-correctness.

Yes....being an older person myself, there was no such thing as PC back in the 70's. People did not get upset about much of the stuff that people seem to go out of their way to get upset about these days.

PC is the new prudery.

I would venture to say that this movie might be more shocking now then in 1970. Would I be correct?

Oh yes....and so many other satires like it from back in that era. People "got" satire back then. Today, they get offended when their sacred cows are touched with anything other than high praise.

I've always loved dark and satirical comedy. Too bad that the PC brigade has pretty much brought that art to an end. Would a TV show like "All In The Family" or a movie like "Blazing Saddles" get greenlighted if they were presented to the powers that be today? No way. Even if they did, both would be absolutely mauled by the every growing "everything offends me" PC crowd that neither has the intelligence or education in the arts to understand what satirical comedy is all about.

That is sad to see. Though there are still some edgy/gross comedies made today there not quite the same as the ones from the 70's; they had more of a go-for-broke quality and didn't seem to need to always wink at the audience or tell them that this sexist/racist/homophobic character was wrong as they assumed that the viewer would be bright enough to figure that out themselves, so they tended to feel less self-conscious. I think it's because it was the decade when the Haze-Code had finally been vanished entirely and filmmakers were finally allowed compete artistic freedom for the first time in decades and they took full advantage.

Would you mind telling me where the satire is in this film? Because I get "Blazing Saddles", I get "All In The Family" but I don't get the point of this film. I don't see what brilliant social commentary "Where's Poppa" is attempting to advertise, seems more like a film that falls into the category of movies that are shocking and extreme just for the hell of it. All I got from it is "hey, isn't elderly abuse, rape and incest funny?"

I wouldn't really call it satire so much as I would label it a black comedy.

Post deleted

The reason MC god an X and this an R was probably a double standard when it came to homosexuality; MC treated homosexuality (which was still looked down upon) seriously and with dignity. WP played it for laughs (there was also the fact that they didn't know they were raping a man). A less seriously treatment probably made them more lenient despite WP's content being far sicker.