Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog : Things you noticed after multiple viewings

Things you noticed after multiple viewings

I've seen each act a few times now, and I keep catching things that I didn't notice the first time around. Some of the things are probably pretty obvious, and I just wasn't observant enough to notice, but I finally did. Some of them were:

During "A Man's Gotta Do..." I never noticed the lyric that Penny sings because Hammer and Horrible kinda drowned her out: "I wonder what he's captain of..."

During "Evil/Rapture Inside of Me," Dr. Horrible, wearing a bad fake mustache, takes over for the guy serving soup. I never noticed, because I was busy watching Captain Hammer brushing himself off after the homeless guy touched him. The best part is that he's not even serving the soup. He's just holding a bowl and pouring the soup back into the pot.

At the end after Captain Hammer becomes unfrozen, while finishing singing his song ("WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!"), he gives Dr. Horrible the finger. Don't know how I never saw that before.

Also, there were a couple times when I caught the camera being accidentally reflected in Dr. Horrible's goggles.

Are there any other small little things that you noticed after rewatching?

------------
Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!

Re: Things you noticed after multiple viewings

Of course, a spoiler, but after penny's death, she blinks when NPH is standing up!

When Captain Hammer sings about his hair "blowing in the breeze" in the first part, it is pretty much static.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Just noticed before at the very end of Act 3, when Dr. Horrible is putting on his new red suit, he just slaps the shirt across his chest, and a second later the buttons are all done up.

Also, when Dr. Horrible is walking through the crowd at his place, the guys on the left are trying to do the robot.

Did you notice that he threw you in the garbage?

Something I just noticed, during the brand new day song, when Dr. Horrible is sitting in his big chair, you can see two copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in the bookshelf next to him. I don't see why he has two copies, haha.

simple- he didn't want to share a copy with Moist

I think I spotted a Nintendo Wii controller next to the books in the same shot, but it was a little hard to tell

I just noticed that Capt Hammer flips Dr.H off while singing the last word of his song

Lives are like mechanical pencils, you push them too hard, they're gonna break

There are also two copies of Half Blood Prince right next to them.

Probably the same reason I do. He bought one the day it came out, and then much later, some well-meaning person wanted to give him a gift, and, knowing he liked Harry Potter, thought, "There's a new one out - I'll get him that!" However, being a supervillain, he should have ripped it up and laughed in their face, or... given it to Moist and laughed in their face.

Probably the same reason I do. He bought one the day it came out, and then much later, some well-meaning person wanted to give him a gift, and, knowing he liked Harry Potter, thought, "There's a new one out - I'll get him that!" However, being a supervillain, he should have ripped it up and laughed in their face, or... given it to Moist and laughed in their face.
-----------------------------------------------

Hey just because he is a supper villian, it does not make him a jerk.

wiimote right beside the harry potter books

probably to show how big a nerd he is. People often buy two versions of a same book to compare them and see if one left something out or something of the sort. Shows he's a big HP fan, nerd lol.

he has 2 copies incase he wants to read it again

Third time through, Penny singing, "And it seems to me some kind of harmony is on the rise." It could be taken as her comment on what's happening in the world.

It also happens just before she and Dr. Horrible start singing in harmony.

Didn't catch it 'til I saw part 1 a second time; Moist says he was on a double date, one of the women being named "Bait and Switch"; and he thought he was going to be on the date with Bait but got the other girl....

Dr. Horrible: Oh look at my wrist, gotta go.

Yeah, I loved that line from the start. I wanted to explain it to my husband, but it just would've taken so long for someone unfamiliar with the "B&S" concept.

How can you not be familiar with the concept? I have literally never gone to a bar to pick up girls (well, not with actually following up and trying), or a blind double date or anything like that. It's a very common advertising tactic - whether it's stupid bar girls or every company ever.

:)

On one of the frozen yogurt containers in Act II, held by NPH, you can see the name of the company "Berri Good", which was whited out in most of the shots.

I looked it up on Google and it is a real place in L.A..

At the end of Act II when Horrible looks at his picture of Penny, you can see blurry green leaves on it meaning he took the picture from the bushes.

That picture was a great moment: a freaky stalker picture that he actually framed. It's one of the things I actually saw the first time through.

Anyone else wonder whether the black gauntlets Dr. H pulls on at the end aren't an allusion to Captain Hammer's gauntlets?

ATTENTION RANDOMLY TYPING MONKEYS
The reply button does not dispense bananas. That is all.

Post deleted

In Act III, when Dr. Horrible is doing that fist-bump thing with the guy wearing purple at the party, the silver electronic thing behind him is the same DVR I have.

you know the guy wearing purple is whedon, right?

You mean the purple pimp?
That isn't Joss.
It's Johnathon something...

"I was bitten by Emmett Cullen (twice). Sorry Bella, I beat you."
<3
T~o #20 (formerlyBTVS)

The Purple Pimp isn't Joss, it's the owner of the house. The house was made on the show Monster House. It was the Mad Scientist house they created.

ah yes. Star Wars invented small people AND burning.

you know the guy wearing purple is whedon, right?

What Guy wearing purple? The guy with the boxing gloves?

At one point Moist is trying to open a jar. But of course he can't, because his hands are all...

OH MAN, Moist trying to open the jar has become one of the funniest things to me in the whole show! Because it's not hidden in the background, it's just not the focus, it's a sideline. He and Billy are having a discussion, and he's trying to open a jar for no evident reason other than that it's a hilarious gag. Perfect, perfect joke.

Get on up.

In Act III, first time, I didn't notice that Penny, sitting in the laundromat, had bought two frozen yogurts and was apparently expecting Billy to show up.

-Wm

She also looks back expectantly when somebody walks through the door

------------
Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!Spoilers!

My friend noticed that the controller for the van is an iPhone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Speak softly and carry a sakabatou."

I was thinking it was an iPod Touch, because in Act 2, he has a traditional clamshell phone he uses when Bad Horse calls him.

But then, that's just me. I think it would be silly to have two phones like that. Maybe Dr. Horrible can afford it with all the gold um.......bars? that he steals.

well just because they used an iPhone as the remote doesn't mean that in his world that it is a phone, might just be a remote. Barney Stinson uses an iPhone in How I Met Your Mother so it might be NPH's personal phone, and as low budget as this was its possible they just used it.

maybe he broke his iphone when he was stabbing it with his finger trying to make the van stop

Post deleted

In My Eyes, Billy has a line "Anyone with half a brain/could spend their whole life howling in pain"
Foreshadowing Captain Hammer, who has half a brain, spending the rest of his life in pain.

My favorite metaphor is that Billy/Horrible is like pie. He's Billy on the surface, but below the surface, he's Dr. Horrible. He has a "third, even deeper level, and that one is the same as the top, surface one... Like with pie." Great line that makes the final shot of Billy even more poignant. (Also, why the hell are they eating frozen yogurt with sporks? Since when does yogurt need a pronged utensil?)

Since many dumb-asses in America (read: business owners) decided the spork would resolve their need for both forks AND spoons. Also, it's LA - where people are completely unaware of reality. Trust me, last time I was in hollywood was 2005. The SOAD album mesmerize had just come out that day. People were driving down Santa Monica, several people blaring the scong "Old School Hollywood", apparently too thick to understand the song was making fun of them, not encouraging them.

Understanding and enjoying are not mutually exclusive.

I figured that, becauase the film was filmed with a very low budget, and NPH had an iphone in How I Met Your Mother, he either got it from their budget or already had it and used it in both... they used the equipment he had already.

.......come on....

There's an app for that!

That part seems so sad to me. Why didn't he just go do his stunningly boring chore instead!

Ah. something i noticed after the second viewing is the New paper headlines at the end of the third act.

-spoilers for the ending-

The Captain hammer one says
"Girlfriend of Captain Hammer Murdered. Our Hero Captain, Hammer had a girlfriend, but now she is dead. She was murdered in an unprecedented event that took place down at a new homeless shelter. The even was for the opening of the new caring hands homeless shelter and it was going to be a great big party till Dr. Horrible Messed it all up. Our Hero Captain Hammer had a girlfriend, but now she is dead. ... " Then it repeats the whole thing again. LOL

The second headline and article was...
"Country mourns whats-her-name. A volunteer for Caring hands homeless Shelter will be sourly missed by the homeless community and her hero boyfriend captain hammer. She was a.. " it fades away before you can read more...

Then on the NEWS channel the headline was
"Dr. Horrible Defeats Captain Hammer. Hero 'Unavailable for comment' for first time ever. "

I continue to giggle like a little school girl. I love it.

---
If I told this was killing me, would you stop?

An a side note, on my first viewing I noticed the missing apostrophe in the article heading "Heroes girlfriend dies" (or something along those lines). Poor grammar = just about my only criticism of the movie.

Though I'm thinking it's another stab at the media.

-----------------------
"I got your nose! Also: I'm EVIL."

An a side note, on my first viewing I noticed the missing apostrophe in the article heading "Heroes girlfriend dies" (or something along those lines).

Assuming this is exactly the way the heading read, this could either be bad grammar/media jab or another clever...thingy. The plural use of the word "heroes" could kind of refer to the fact that she was involved with both Dr.Horrible and Capt. Hammer. Even though Dr.H is a "villain" he was celebrated much like a hero. Maybe I'm just reaching here, but it was a thought.

If that were the case, the grammar would still be poor...it would need to read heroes'

Why does everyone here seriously fail to understand the anti-villain/hero concept? Dr. H is literally the hero of the movie. It is a very old literary concept.

Why does everyone here seriously fail to understand the anti-villain/hero concept? Dr. H is literally the hero of the movie. It is a very old literary concept.

The term for which you're searching is protagonist.

During the last act, when NPH is singing his song to the crowd, you can see Penny standing against the wall in the background watching. Then after the shooting starts and she's peeking from behind the chairs, she's on the opposite side of the room. Then finally, when she's down on the ground, she's right back on the first wall where she was before. No explanation how she crosses the room instantly like that.

I'm pretty sure it's an iPhone, because the Horrible Van Remote says AT&T in the corner.

Ah. So it does. Guess he just has lots of money then.