Insomnia : Ten Things I learned from watching "Insomnia"

Ten Things I learned from watching "Insomnia"

1. Hotels in Alaska don't have blackout shades on the windows. The guests must tape up wrapping paper themselves.
2. Taping wrapping paper over the windows doesn't work.....at all. But a good backup plan is to stack pillows and cushions as high as you can to block out the light.
3. Successful writers don't live in urban areas,...they live near the Arctic Circle in Bomfock, Alaska.
4. The royalties from a string of successful books will easily pay for a dumpy apartment and a cluttered shack in Bomfock, Alaska.
5. The best woman you can get from being a successful writer is a teenage girl currently being abused and beaten by her motorcycle-riding boyfriend. And then she laughs at you when you make advances.
6. Police women in Bomfock, Alaska are drop-dead gorgeous -- even when wearing their green police-issue jackets.
7. The drop-dead gorgeous police woman in Bomfock, Alaska just happens to be a fan of a police detective from L.A. and knows all his big cases. What are the odds?
8. Al Pacino looks really bad in 24/7 Alaskan daylight.
9. One good way to get some answers from the victim's best friend is to play chicken with an on-coming 18-wheeler on an icy road with the friend in the passenger seat.
10. The genius and strategic thinker/killer Finch (Robin Williams) is way ahead of everyone. But he keeps his victim's BLOODY DRESS in a cabin drawer...then leaves that drawer open right in front of Hilary Swank. Doooh !!!

Re: Ten Things I learned from watching "Insomnia"

11. Unfortunately, IMDB lets anybody post things they think are witty.

Aww...c'mon.....you gotta admit at least a few of them were witty. Fortunately, IMDB lets its members defend themselves, too. I get a kick out of attempting to make people grin a little while poking fun at a movie. A thousand pardons. Drafted a body-slammer of a retort here,....but decided against using it. Besides, we have the same IMDB 'member since' dates. Too much karma.

Yes, you had some good ones there. Thanks for taking the high road. :-)

12. Thankfully IMDB let's you put sticks in the mud like you on ignore.

1) UnWatchable 2)Watchable,ButBad 3)Decent,SeeOnce 4)Good,Repeat&Recommend 5)Great,Classic

LOL .... you get an "A"

You think Hillary Swank is drop-dead-gorgeous?

She reminds me of that skinny speed freak girl on Orange Is The New Black.

She is a good actress though, and did a good job here.

1) UnWatchable 2)Watchable,ButBad 3)Decent,SeeOnce 4)Good,Repeat&Recommend 5)Great,Classic

Re: Ten Things I learned from watching 'Insomnia'

Yea man Hillary swank is hit

1 and 2. It was actually dark in his room - there was a scene near the end where this was pointed out - and he only thought it was bright because he shot his partner. You must have missed that?
3. He's not a successful writer. He's a hack who writes detective pulp.
4. The royalties from detective pulp would be barely enough to live on. He would need to subsidise his income with something else or... move to a cheap location such as Alaska.
5. The idea that being a successful writer - or being successful at anything for that matter - somehow translates into "getting better women" is... well... I'll just say naive, rather than what I'm really thinking, because I'm not trying to insult you.
6. This and point 5 simply reveal that you have a lot to learn about women.
7. She had simply studied his cases at the academy. Given that his cases are taught at the academy, the odds that a young police officer would know him and his cases are very high.
8. Yeah he was meant to look bad; he had insomnia after shooting his partner (amongst other things).
9. She wasn't going to reveal that she had been sleeping with the boyfriend of the murdered girl (for obvious reasons). The only way to get her to admit it was to scare her into thinking he was crazy and might do something to her. It all made perfect sense.
10. He wasn't a genius - quite the opposite in fact - and he wasn't ahead of everyone, let alone "way" ahead. The dress was there because that's where he cleaned the body. He planned to get rid of it but didn't expect Swank's character to go there for the letters so quickly. He deliberately opened the drawer to let Swank's character see the dress. He knew that she knew that Pacino's character had killed his partner and therefore she needed to be dealt with. He didn't accidentally open the drawer right in front of her, as you seem to be implying, he did it on purpose.

The movie was pretty easy to follow so I'm not sure how you missed so much and got so confused about simple plot points. Perhaps you were very tired???

:-P

Seriously though... I think you need to watch the movie again and pay closer attention...

We're from the planet Duplon. We are here to destroy you.

"5. The idea that being a successful writer - or being successful at anything for that matter - somehow translates into "getting better women" is... well... I'll just say naive, rather than what I'm really thinking, because I'm not trying to insult you"

You're naive if you think it doesn't.

You are so absolutely right. If you are going to issue some snark, go back and check. The OP was obviously way, way over his head and clueless.

http://www.auplod.com/u/dalpuo430da.png

move to a cheap location such as Alaska

Funny funny. The cost of living in Nightmute is 16.90% higher than the US average.

Re: Ten Things I learned from watching 'Insomnia'

You're pretty much on point but if you think being successful DOESN'T help in getting Women... Well... That's just foolish. Look at all the ugly actors, athletes or other wealthy people in general that have beautiful women on their arms but look like a buffoon. Its quite common

to your 5. JD Salinger was sleeping with countless 18 year olds who he wrote letters to till the day he died.

famous people DO get hot chicks.

The Fearmakers Blog https://thefearmakers.blogspot.com/

This post made me laugh, and is actually very true. Thank you for this morning's laugh-out-loud moment:)

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Very good ones!

Indeed, this movie is full of unplausible events, created to make it work properly.

About the hotel window, it felt really odd for me. As pointed in the movie, it was Will's issue and not really a proper hotel's issue. Still, if I'd be in a hotel with something bothering me so much, I'd just ask them for a solution, not try it myself. Hotels are paid to make us confortable.

Also, I've used to sleep during the day, and had some good blackout shades on my window. If I closed them and the door, the room became very dark during the day. It's not hard at all to make a closed room dark, and I'd expect hotels in places like the movie to be good on that.

It's not rare for writers to go to isolated places. They should search for inspirations. And Robin Williams showed the guy as kinda disturbed.

You see, he was doing his things when the girl approached him. He got interested in her, but she wanted him just as her "mentor". She talked to him about her life, her boyfriend, but didn't wanna hang out with him. I suppose he tried to seduce her and failed. Then he tried to give her expensive gifts, and still she didn't "ease" on him. He used to take her to a remote place where they could easily "do things", and still she ignored him. Then he tried to advance on her, she thought his action pathetic and laughed hard on him. Till that point he wasn't violent on her.

That portrays a problematic guy. He's unable to get a girl, either by seducing or buying her with gifts. So, even if he's a successiful writer and has money, even with money he was unable to fulfill his desires. And he tried.

He's also shown as, deep inside him, feeling pleasure for killing the girl. At a scene, Will says that when a person does that he can't just get back. That implies that he'd become a serial killer and do that again.

Also, the movie says that ppl who live in Alaska either were born there and moved there trying to escape something. So, why did Water move there? It's not said. Maybe he had killed before and escaped? Maybe he was willing to kill the girl from start and was just trying to hold himself, until he felt humiliated and decided to free his desire to kill again?

About the dress... maybe it was a trophy, and he just used to leave the drawer opened to look at it? If he took 10 minutes to kill her, he for sure was feeling pleasure on the moment. The bloody dress would make a nice trophy to hold after he left the body.

Post deleted

Post deleted

1)
2) Give the man a break, he was a bit nutty at this point. I believe it was his seventh night without sleep. Or maybe he was just trying to build a blanket fort?
3) Finch wasn't a successful writer, he was a loser.
4) Finch wasn't a successful writer, he was a loser. I agree, it was a dump of an apartment. Not least because of the mess, but when walking through the corridor you can hear a baby scream. No thanks. Lovely dogs though.
5) Finch wasn't a successful writer, he was a loser.
6) I wasn't aware she was drop-dead gorgeous, or even gorgeous. Subjective, I suppose.
7) I don't see what's so unrealistic. She was a nerd who did her homework.
8) Nah, he was sexy day in, day out.
9) So true, what the HELL happened there? And he turned away right at the last second, but his reaction would have been slowed down due to sleep deprivation. Also, just a ridiculous thing to do, I mean did that really make her confess? WAS IT REALLY TO NECESSARY TO ENDANGER THEM BOTH? He deserved to hallucinate an incoming lorry at the end. He was really unsafe to drive at that point, he might as well have been drunk.

Struggling for a confession? Think someone's hiding something? Why not try Driving Straight Into The Path Of A Lorry and Taking Them To A Garbage Dump? #TopDetectiveTactics

10) It was intentional I think. Probably got off on seeing her discomfort. Actually, he was ahead of everyone still because the whole reason he lured her there is because he knew that she knew. And he messed up leaving the rucksack behind, too. He's clever but also simply lucky with the fog, Dormer's mistake, etc. The question is, what was he going to do with her before Dormer got there, beat her to death? Feed her to his dogs?

Al Pacino looks really bad in 24/7 Alaskan daylight.

Ummm…NAH. I think he looked mighty fine, actually. He had very nice close-ups too.