Smile : Smile reviews

Smile reviews

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/smile_2022
https://www.metacritic.com/movie/smile-2022

A good horror film that could’ve been great. Bacon is quite astonishing here and there are many creepy, cringe-inducing moments but it’s also a bit muddled and confused in what it’s trying to say and opts for tired horror tropes especially near the end.

Score: 3/5

-Jim Laczkowski, Director's Club

There are some nice jump scares and Bacon is charismatic but it’s achingly derivative and dull.

Score: 2/5

-Kevin Maher, Times (UK)

Though it may be derivative, Smile still manages to be a scary, unsettling ride that’s powered by an impressively committed Sosie Bacon performance and some assured direction. Finn is one to watch.

Score: 3/5

-Amon Warmann, Empire Magazine

The image of a creepy, sinister smile is so primal and so chilling that it might have inspired something truly penetrating, but, sadly, this horror movie is content to fall back on noisy jump-scares.

Score: 2/5

-Jeffrey M. Anderson, Common Sense Media

The keys to a good mainstream horror movie are a semi-original premise, at least three really good jump scares, and a strong performance from the lead actor/actress. Smile has all of those things.

Score: 3/4

-Mike McGranaghan, Aisle Seat

Re: Smile reviews

Jump scares only work for me if the rest of the movie is exceptional, and doubt whether this is. I prefer psychological horror, but I like the nasty smiles, so I'll give this a look.

Have you seen The Black Phone? A jump scare got me in that movie. It was the first time in a long time that that happened, since jump scares almost never work on me.

I've seen it and liked it, but I don't remember the jump scare, so I guess it didn't scare me.

Oh, it was when the main kid was on the phone and one of the murdered kids showed up right behind him. I mean, the audience could see the dead kid, but the living kid couldn't see him. I re-watched the trailer after watching the movie, and that scene was in it. So it was a good thing I hadn't seen the trailer in a while and I had forgotten most of it, or else the "scare" wouldn't have worked on me. The trailer gave away way too much of the movie.

Ok. I remember that now, and I wasn't scared. I think I was expecting something like that to happen. You're right, trailers can give too much away!

Usually I see the jump scares coming, but that one got me, lol.

I really enjoyed it. Simple but effective The sound editing was pretty great. I always appreciate good sound design.

I still haven't seen this movie yet.