Star Trek: The Next Generation : Shelby Vs. Riker

Shelby Vs. Riker

A while back I created a post accusing Riker of being insubordinate to Captain Jellico. Yes the guy was brash, but go back and watch that episode again with a new mind set; this captain who has to take over a new ship at a moments notice whilst realizing that he could be fighting for his life in just a few days (and a 1000 other peoples lives including civilians and children). That's a lot of pressure. Anyway that's a different post but the theme is similar.

So when the Borg come a callin' again we see the Enterprise at the front lines. Shelby, the Borg expert, comes onto the ship with a head full of steam wanting to get things done. Yes she was a bit pushy and had a tendency to leap before looking, but she also knew she had to help defend the ship and the Federation against the greatest threat its ever known. From the very start Riker feels threatened by her and begins making comments to Geordi that he can "handle her." An interesting comment coming from a known womanizer I may add. She is ambitious and it shows from the beginning when she was under the assumption that he was about to accept his own command and lets face it, first officer of the Federation flagship is a big feather in anyone's cap.

When Riker and Shelby first meet its not a big deal and he treats her like anyone else... The minute he realizes she has everything he has lost and is going after his job Riker starts ignoring the Borg and focusing on her. This isn't the first time Riker has ignored his duty simply because he doesn't like someone -or maybe its just that he wants to sleep with them and cant? Ro Laren being an example of that until they get their memories wiped anyway.

Then Picard gets captured by the Borg and Riker becomes the new skipper of the Enterprise and his personally changes with her. He now has the captaincy he wanted all along and he is untouchable and gets the last word as captain. Shelby is made first officer (probably so he can glote) and every time he interacts with her its like he has made himself her mentor when it wasn't needed. Riker got that job cuz the Borg possibly killed Picard not because he earned it! Nowadays I'm starting to see this character in a new light and he's not the best "number one" that we're led to believe.

R E S I S T A N C E IS F U T I L E !

Re: Shelby Vs. Riker

All of that just makes him a better character. Like a real person. Imperfections like everyone has.

No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed

Imperfections like everyone has.

Exept me.

All of that just makes him a better character. Like a real person. Imperfections like everyone has.

Agreed, Nak.

William T. Riker is my primary piece of evidence that the writers of Star Trek do not understand how to write officers. That his behavior during the show delved into the unprofessional region and into insubordination with nothing done about it leads me to that conclusion. Jean-Luc Picard is my second piece of evidence, but that's another topic.

Incidentally, Shelby's behavior during BoBW did cross into the unprofessional area. I surmise that, given what we've seen during the series, that if Riker doesn't accept his new posting, that they just leave him where he is (in spite of the stupidity of doing that), Shelby's comments that questioned his courage as an XO was wrong for her to make, even if there's some truth in it. Riker seems to be preoccupied with everyone getting adequate rest, and he also seems to be a daylight kind of guy. As if we ever see these people do anything remotely strenuous on anything like a regular basis. How long would it have taken to do some testing and scans for the presence of the Borg? Shelby was willing to go down there with Data to get the job done, and Riker can't be asked to get out of bed. (And, you know, are these people the only people on that ship who could conduct such a survey? Why must principle cast members do everything?) Even so, that's no excuse to imply that Riker hasn't got any balls, even in private.

Because if Riker was going to stay on as XO, and that was possible, what could Shelby do about it? If Starfleet won't remove the guy from that post, that's their fault, not Riker's.

Captain Jellico and Riker both showed examples of how not to deal with people under them, but I don't think Riker was gloating at all. When one is in command, one must keep his/her ego in check.

It didnt appear to me that Riker was keeping anything in check with Shelby... And with Jellico, Riker acted like a big baby. Yeah Shelby had her moments too and I made a comment about it I believe in my original post, but it bothered me that Riker was more focused on her than the Borg. Hell even when they confronted the Borg and Shelby says that the new phaser frequencies have them "confused," Riker took the opportunity to smack her down and say "they have the ability to adapt, Commander." She was happy for herself that her idea was working and Riker knocked her down a peg.

R E S I S T A N C E IS F U T I L E !

She was an attractive woman. Of course, Riker will pay more attention to her than the Borg.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniestll time. RIP Robert Vaughn

Jellico acted like a big baby, didn't want to listen to anyone but himself. And Riker got his panties in a wad over Shelby's assertiveness. While Picard isn't perfect either, I'd definitely prefer him as my captain over the other two.

Jellico acted like a big baby, didn't want to listen to anyone but himself.

Well, can you back up this statement? Because listening doesn't always mean agreeing and just doing whatever subordinates want, which is what you're asserting here.

Jellico acted like a big baby, didn't want to listen to anyone but himself.

Well, can you back up this statement?

GET.
THAT.
FISH.
OUT.
OF.
MY.
READY.
ROOM.

MADE TROI WEAR A UNIFORM.

💡💡💡💡

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

I was fine with him making Troi wear a uniform, but yeah, his attitude sucked. Even handing Picard's book to him was pretty tactless. If after a mission your crew is happy to be rid of you, that's not good.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your statement that Jellico didn't listen to anyone. Now you have to back up on how his attitude somehow sucked. The crew's attitude was far worse, thanks to an incompetent XO who didn't instill discipline.

I've explained to you at least twice now that the rule of any military, including Starfleet, is THE MISSION ALWAYS COMES FIRST. Forever and ever, Amen. I and others explained the situation in the show, but you just can't seem to grasp it. It's really not the CO's job to lavish the crew with praise, affection, gifts, dinner and a movie. He's not dating them. He's not trying to get into their panties. It's their job to obey his lawful orders, not to whine, not to bitch, but to do their job. It doesn't matter if he's a meanie-head. He showed competence, poise, and discipline.

And so what if he handed Picard's book to him? What, was he supposed to keep it? Geez, I'd hate to be your boyfriend, to have to put up with your incessant mood swings that come from every little thing you perceive!

---And so what if he handed Picard's book to him? What, was he supposed to keep it? Geez, I'd hate to be your boyfriend, to have to put up with your incessant mood swings that come from every little thing you perceive!---

I spent all f my time with two of my older brothers.
I don't know how men can stand it.
If I was a man, I think I'd have to be gay.

No world order that elevates one nation or group of people over another will succeed

I spent all f my time with two of my older brothers.
I don't know how men can stand it.
If I was a man, I think I'd have to be gay.

Well, I see it more as a tactic that works. People do what works, and if whining and mood swings work, they'll use it. If you're dealing with your brothers this way, their rather screwed when it comes to dealing with it; they can't kill you or hurt you, and because you are completely off the table sexually, they have to put up with it or leave the situation.

If you're a girlfriend, and sex is on the agenda, men will put up with all kinds of nonsense for it, and that gives you some control. When I took sex off the table, it completely changed the combat dynamic totally in my favor.

Women put up with just as much bull$hit from men as men do from women, and that includes moodiness. How many men have beat their women one minute and the next are apologizing profusely to them? When it comes to acting irrationally, no gender has a monopoly.

Women put up with just as much bull$hit from men as men do from women, and that includes moodiness. How many men have beat their women one minute and the next are apologizing profusely to them? When it comes to acting irrationally, no gender has a monopoly.

No gender may have a monopoly, but women have cornered the market on moodiness for millennia. In fact, it's one of their weapons they like to employ to control men, along with nagging, s#it tests, and other mood swings. Where men are particularly different is that, usually, there's a point where boys are expected not to whine anymore and grow up, around the age of puberty. "If you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about," is something boys often hear sometime around the age of 8-10, and it works wonders if the threat is realized into action. Men are expected to be tough, to work hard, play hard, and take pain and suffering no woman is really expected to bear, to push away the dangers to the family - the operative word here is expected. Girls, especially western girls, are often well spoiled by their own parents, especially fathers who just can't say no to their princesses.

Granted, millennials are beginning to blur along these lines. That'll stop once we reach a civilizational crisis or two, where real dangers rear their ugly heads, and women begin demanding their males actually behave like men again. But that will mean we're going to be demanding much in return, such as Loyalty, and we might require that No-Fault Divorces go away in order to enforce that. We'll see.

Sure Wylde, guys are just like Spock, so logical and even tempered. They never yell, they never complain, they're all just so laid back and a joy to be around.

So I guess when women are moody, it's related to their gender, but when men are moody it has nothing to do with their gender? It's just that they happen to be jerks?

Whether people are even tempered or not has nothing to do with gender, just their particular temperament.

When your first officer tells you that the department heads say there will be significant personnel problems by going to four shifts, and you don't listen, then you're probably a sucky captain. Notice no one was sad to see him go.

As for the book, it's symbolism. Do you not remember Sisko's baseball that he left on his desk when the Cardassians took over the station? Leaving it behind was Sisko saying that he'd be back. Same thing with Picard's book. He was leaving it behind as a way of saying he'd be back. I can't believe you didn't get that.

You'll never win an argument with Wylde.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Robert Vaughn

When your first officer tells you that the department heads say there will be significant personnel problems by going to four shifts, and you don't listen, then you're probably a sucky captain. Notice no one was sad to see him go.

Is that it? Really? If the Commanding Officer gives you an order, he doesn't care what your problems are unless they're a real impediment, and this wasn't it. Apparently Riker missed that part where it outlined the parameters of an XO's job. Jellico merely assumed he was dealing with professionals, but I guess he was wrong.

It really seems as though your idea of "listening" is for the subordinate officers to tell the Captain everything that they want, and he obeys, without question.

As for the book, it's symbolism.

I got that, but, at the same time, it wasn't his book. What, did we miss a scene where Picard give Jellico the book as a gift? I'm not aware of a Special Edition of this episode. The symbolism here was to demonstrate to the audience that Picard's not in command anymore, and there's nothing he can do to help the crew force Jellico to accept whatever it is they want.

Riker: "I have spoken to the department heads about changing from three shifts to four, they assure me that it's going to cause significant personnel problems."

Jellico didn't want to hear it. I guess having, "significant personnel problems" during a time of crisis is just fine with him. What an idiot! A good captain listens to the concerns of his staff, Jellico couldn't be bothered, and it makes sense that no one was sad to see him go.

Picard left the book as symbolism, saying that he would return. Jellico, being the tactless person he is, got rid of the book and the fish, things that were Picard related, as if there was no chance of him coming back. And he hands the book to Picard right after saying, "Here's hoping you beat the odds."

No other Star Trek captain had his command style, and for good reason.

You'll never sway Wylde.

RIP Gene Wilder. One of the funniest people of all time. RIP Robert Vaughn

Jellico didn't want to hear it. I guess having, "significant personnel problems" during a time of crisis is just fine with him. What an idiot! A good captain listens to the concerns of his staff, Jellico couldn't be bothered, and it makes sense that no one was sad to see him go.

You do realize that unless you're in the Abramsverse, you can't go to being a Commanding Officer without being an Executive Officer first, right? That means that Jellico had to have been where Riker was at some point in his career, and he knew all the problems he might have. Something like "significant personnel problems" would probably not fly with him, because he'd instantly recognize it for what it was, an excuse, and good commanders do not let excuses get in the way of getting the job done. In the military, the saying goes that "The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters."

Further, I would surmise that we didn't get to the Change of Command ceremony until the very next day, at the least, given the situation. That means that Riker and the crew had all day from the point Jellico gave that order to get that shift change done. And it's a very simple job managerially speaking. All Riker had to do was get his pertinent officers together, brief them, tell them what the new CO wants, and it's their job to get it done, and to bitch and moan about it, which is precisely what they were doing, is completely unprofessional. They're officers! If they can't do the job, I'm sure Jellico would be glad to replace them.

Picard left the book as symbolism, saying that he would return.

That's reading too much into it. Remember he was also busy training for his new assignment, given to him on the spur of the moment, and didn't have time to just pack all his things and move out. The symbolism was for the audience, to tell us that Picard is not in charge anymore and there's nothing he can do to force Jellico to do the crew's bidding.

Men do not think like this; we don't fence like a bunch of girls for head-cheerleader status, especially when the hierarchy is already officially established. We don't take every little thing as a potential barb thrown our way. The message was already made to Picard by Jellico in spoken language, "I don't have time to give Riker or anyone else, a chance. And, forgive me for being blunt, but the Enterprise is mine now." They both knew that! Riker should've known that, since he also was briefed by Admiral Necheyev about the situation (not Picard's mission). That whole scene was done for the audience's sake, to give them the sense that Picard might not be in command anymore. That this might very well be a permanent change in the show. That's important to establish some tension in the show. Watch the scene again.

Giving Picard's book back was just common courtesy, and symbolic to the audience to that effect, as was Jellico putting his kid's artwork on his wall, and getting the fish out of there, and ordering Troi to put on a uniform for a change. Otherwise, if this were temporary, he'd not have bothered.

Sure Wylde, all those department heads and Riker were just trying to make life hard for Jellico. Geordi was lying when he said his staff would have to work around the clock. Because that's what department heads assigned to the Federation's flag ship would do, right?

Really, it doesn't make sense that a Jellico could even rise up in the ranks with such a crappy attitude. None of the other Trek captains were anything like him, and for good reason.

I guess you didn't notice the look on Picard's face when Jellico handed him the book. The symbolism is there. Leaving the book behind was a way of assuring himself that he'd be back. Don't presume that you know how all men think.

Sure Wylde, all those department heads and Riker were just trying to make life hard for Jellico. Geordi was lying when he said his staff would have to work around the clock. Because that's what department heads assigned to the Federation's flag ship would do, right?

People can be lazy. Especially if they've really not been pushed to adjust and adapt as they need to for various situations. This happens in a lot of organizations, and if you've got a guy like Riker who's willing to bend to a lot of whining and moaning, then they'll do what works for them. It doesn't matter what their significant personnel problems are, what matters is that they have their orders. If they can't do their jobs, they should resign.

EDIT: I'm going to help you out here. If there were any issues with the way Jellico was commanding the mission, this wasn't one of them. As a former officer myself, I had an issue with him micromanaging a bit too much. It's still his prerogative, but at the same time it does come off a bit as though he's not confident in the crew, the ship, or the chances of success in the mission. While I can understand why he felt he had to take Data along to go help Geordi get the ship ready, because Riker can't be asked to do it and interfere with his nap, and he didn't have a whole lot of time to waste, it probably wasn't all conducive to the crew's confidence in the man. Nobody's perfect, of course, but Jellico would've fit right in with the modern military, and then some.

Really, it doesn't make sense that a Jellico could even rise up in the ranks with such a crappy attitude. None of the other Trek captains were anything like him, and for good reason.

Kirk was. So was Sisko. Janeway was a megalomaniacal lunatic and Archer was a drunken bum.

Kirk often got cross with a lot of people, including, of all people, Spock. Go watch the show.

I guess you didn't notice the look on Picard's face when Jellico handed him the book. The symbolism is there. Leaving the book behind was a way of assuring himself that he'd be back. Don't presume that you know how all men think.

Being a man, myself, and not a metrosexual, I don't care what look he had on his face. If this guy didn't get the hint that he was no longer in charge of the Enterprise anymore, then he's an idiot (I've called Picard a lot of things, but not that). There was no logical reason for him to even expect that this was at all temporary. Indeed, this was Starfleet jumping through their incompetent asses to deal with the Cardassian threat, and they were gambling with Picard's life here, not risking it. There's a difference. And at the beginning of this scene, Jellico reminds Picard that there's a good chance he won't be coming back from that mission. If Picard thought this was all temporary, Jellico would've likely thought so too, and wouldn't have bothered to decorate his ready room. This whole scene was for the audience's benefit, as I said.

I know you hate Jellico because he's a meanie. I know you'd love to think he wasn't, at all, a success, but he was. This whole episode was brilliant in that in all of this, Jellico was not a lunatic, or a power-mad idiot, or an obsessed and distraught officer like others who have commandeered the original Enterprise and the Enterprise-D. He was never wrong about anything! Everything he did was rational, reasonable, and logical. Even when he goes up to Riker to get him to fly the mission to lay mines amid the Cardassian fleet hiding in the nebula. He was the bigger man in that, going up against a child. You may not have liked his attitude or his style of command, but who cares? He accomplished the mission with flying colors, averted a war, and got back Captain Picard. If he had listened to Riker when he got insubordinate, the whole mission would've been lost. Indeed, if he had obeyed the crew's bitching, the whole mission would've been lost.

Understand this, sweetheart: You are able to sleep soundly in your bed at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf. They're not nice guys. They're warriors. They get the job done.

Wylde, so all the department heads were just lazy? How does that make sense? You don't get to be a department head on the Federation's flagship by being lazy. Face it, Jellico was poorly written. You don't get ahead by alienating people. The Enterprise had been in worse situations, like BOBW, and no one thought it necessary to make such drastic changes. Picard was walking around his ship before the encounter with the Borg, not screaming about four shifts. And no, none of the captains were like Jellico.

Leaving his book behind was Picard's symbol of hope. Jellico was an a$$hole by making sure Picard took it with him.

The mission would not have been lost had they stayed with three shifts. I'm not saying Jellico has to take every suggestion he's given, but he needs to realize the crew wants the mission to be successful as well, and aren't trying to jeopardize it, or risk the crew's lives.

Don't call me, "sweetheart." It just reinforces the idea that you're a sexist jerk.

Are you saying police officers are like Jellico? I somehow doubt that. I don't come into contact with police officers very often, but the last one who helped me, recovered a wandering resident twice, was a nice guy, and I appreciated his service.

You really don't like Jellico don't you Ruby?

Wylde, so all the department heads were just lazy? How does that make sense? You don't get to be a department head on the Federation's flagship by being lazy.

Yes; they were. It's just human nature. When you get used to a certain thing after so many years, without your boss changing things up from time to time like he's supposed to, given that this is a warship in spite of whatever Starfleet says it is, you're bound to complain too. I'm sure those "significant personnel problems" involved having an odd number of people in a shift, perhaps worried that they would not have it fully manned. But, that's not significant. It just means some people are going to have to spend a little longer on duty than they'd like. It may not be fair, but nobody ever said that military life was ever fair.

Leaving his book behind was Picard's symbol of hope.

Give me a break.

The mission would not have been lost had they stayed with three shifts.

Maybe it would've been. In fact, if Jellico had acceded to every bitch and moan and gripe that the Enterprise crew gave him, it most certainly would've cost them the mission. Why? Because it would've wasted time, it would not have gotten the ship ready, and if it came down to combat, chances are they would've been destroyed because they weren't ready to handle the situation.

Don't call me, "sweetheart." It just reinforces the idea that you're a sexist jerk.

Then stop behaving like a bitch.

Are you saying police officers are like Jellico? I somehow doubt that. I don't come into contact with police officers very often, but the last one who helped me, recovered a wandering resident twice, was a nice guy, and I appreciated his service.

You obviously haven't met too many good cops out there. Certainly not soldiers, sailors, airmen or marines, or coasties. To kill the enemy, you sometimes have to be a real jerk about it. I was.

Nope. The department heads were not all lazy as that wouldn't make sense them being posted to the Federation's flagship. You don't keep those positions by being lazy. The Enterprise didn't have any problems before protecting themselves and the Federation, they certainly didn't need Jellico's anal leadership to defeat the Borg.

I'm sorry you don't get symbolism, but leaving the book behind was a symbol of Picard's hope that he would return.

As for soldiers overseas, I don't think those Muslim countries are a real threat to us. I think being, "real jerks" has caused more problems than it has solved.

Basically all their complaints boiled down to "we can't do that because it would require us to work harder/longer". That's lazy no matter what external excuses you use.

Basically all their complaints boiled down to "we can't do that because it would require us to work harder/longer". That's lazy no matter what external excuses you use.

Nope. It boiled down to, "We shouldn't make unnecessary changes that would cause significant personnel problems, especially while in a time of crisis."

At no time was it ever established that Enterprise department heads were lazy. It was established that Jellico was anal. Just compare him with the other Trek captains who were nothing like him.

Really Ruby maybe you should look up things in real history about leadership because one of the most successful US generals was George C. Patton.A man not known for being popular with men under his command or being diplomatic in how to deal with those under his command(or his superiors for that matter).Patton was a tough s.o.b. and often demanded the impossible of his men but most of the times he achieved his objectives(and more)and he got there not by being nice to his men and asking them if it put too much strain on them or if they didn't get enough rest or sleep.Any good commander knows the objective comes before the man/men.

Jellico is no Patton. Patton wouldn't make unnecessary changes that would cause personnel problems right before going into a potential battle situation. It's fine to be tough, it's not fine to make stupid decisions.

But Patton would want to know how far he can push his men to be able to withstand any adversity that they may come across during a campaign.So his men would know how to improvise when things don't work out as they planned.Jellico does the same he's trying to push his crew to assure the fullest potential the crew of Enterprise has to offer.And a good commander is always able to adapt to the situation that is thrown at him ,Jellico does the same as soon as he has found out that Picard is captured he knows that a rescue is out of the question because he knows the Cardassians would most likely use him as bait for a trap and that would undermine the Federation's negotiating position.

More than that, I would say, that Jellico didn't necessarily need to know, because he didn't have the time to find out. This was a chance for the crew and Riker himself to shine. It's as though Riker and the crew of the Enterprise did not really know how dire the situation was.

That, to me, is a greater indication of the grandiose incompetence of Starfleet itself. Because every military organization, as they would like to be known, knows that all the technology in the world doesn't matter if the people who have it are unwilling to put up with the amount of workload necessary to bring about a victory. This situation was, for all intents and purposes, a war, without the outright declaration. This should never have ever come up, to have to have Starfleet HQ jump through hoops to have Picard go out rather than anyone else who would be physically and mentally trained to do that kind of mission (like a SEAL team), not to mention having just any starship with a crew capable of handling the sheer workload necessary to be ready and willing to face the enemy when they, not so much themselves, meaning the crew, are ready.

War is about the unexpected. There are so many things to be prepared for, but at the least you need people to be able to stay awake at all hours for days on end, for them to be ready to do work as necessary for the accomplishment of the mission, whatever it may require, that it begs a lot of questions that should be asked and addressed at the highest levels. Jellico should rightly not have been necessary, but there he was. Ready and willing and able to do what was necessary to get the Enterprise ready for action. Why didn't Riker know that, or was ready to do what was necessary? Hard questions, indeed!

At the end of this, as successful as it was, heads should've been rolling. Necheyev probably would've gotten a medal and a promotion, but not so much for her own brilliance (dubious as it was), but because she got lucky and knowledgeable enough to appoint Jellico. Why didn't they give Jellico the Enterprise to begin with, rather than Picard? Hard question. Among others.

If I were a representative on the Federation Council, I'd have serious misgivings about Starfleet and its ability to defend the Federation on its own.

Nexus, so Patton made unnecessary changes that caused his soldiers to be sleep deprived right before going into a potential battle situation? No, I don't think so.

"We shouldn't make unnecessary changes that would cause significant personnel problems, especially while in a time of crisis."
That would mean it was unnecessary to make any changes to prepare for war while the ship was configured for scientific exploration. Officers are supposed to deal with personnel problems in more creative ways then just pointing out they would have to work harder to follow orders. And Jellico was sent to deal with the crisis.

Your own eyes and ears should have established the dept heads were being lazy by pointing out they didn't want to make changes because it would involve too much work.

Tell me User, in BOBW, why didn't we see Picard switching from three shifts to four?

I assume he knew Riker well enough to know that he couldn't handle the task. Or maybe it was because of the reason that Jellico gave Riker when he had to scold him like a child and remind him to do his job without whining.

User, Riker accomplished something much greater than Jellico ever did, stopping the Borg from conquering Earth.

By not ramming the cube so that Data could survive to defeat the Borg. So what, I didn't ram the cube either.

User, it was Riker's command decisions that led to that Borg cube being destroyed, saving Earth from being borgified.

And yet he couldn't even sort out a shift change.

It's not that Riker couldn't sort out a shift change, it's that the shift change was going to cause, "significant personnel problems," something that would not be good to have when going into a potential battle situation.

BTW, why would Picard have a bunch of lazy people for department heads?

BTW, why would Picard have a bunch of lazy people for department heads?
There you go asking stupid questions again. It's fiction, they can show characters spewing technobabble and reversing polarity with enthusiasm and then show those same characters whining and sulking because they have to do more than reverse polarity.

If you can't interpret the whining and sulking as lazy because another character would sack them if they did it around him then you're lost.

Expressing concern over, "significant personnel problems" is not whining and sulking. The department heads weren't lazy. Jellico was anal.

Failing to make the change because he couldn't deal with the difficulties is the exact definition of not being able to sort it out.

User, the problem wasn't sorting it out, the problem was how dumb the change was.