Double Indemnity : Perfect film noir. Absolutely crackling dialogue.

Perfect film noir. Absolutely crackling dialogue.

The movie sucked me in and kept me engrossed the whole way. It doesn't feel like its aged much at all. If anyone wants to learn about film noir, this is a good place to start.

America isnt ready for a gay mexican chicken sandwich - Poultrygeist

Re: Perfect film noir. Absolutely crackling dialogue.

Agreed. This is quintessential Noir.

You ain't got a license to kill bookies and today I ain't sellin any. So take your flunky and dangle

This is the best noir ever made, except for Out of the Past. I pretty much rate them equally good.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Agreed! My favorite line is, "Yes, I killed him. I killed him for money - and a woman - and I didn't get the money and I didn't get the woman. Pretty, isn't it?"
That line pretty much sums up film noir perfectly, doesn't it?

I loved the dialogue throughout, except I thought the parting exchange in the first Neff-Phyllis meeting (police Officer, speeding ticket, etc. etc.) was too drawn out.

Oh yeah with all the "suppose I this" and "suppose you that" - yep drawn out.

I loved it, have seen it many times. I've read so many wonderful things from people who worked with Barbara Stanwyck. She was really something. And Fred Macmurray was terrific, this in spite of his only working in light comedy roles before DI. Just a great film, great performances, direction, photography, all of it.

Except lola was a weak link in this masterpiece

Except lola was a weak link in this masterpiece

I wouldn't call her a weak link, but maybe her part and Zachetti's could have been fleshed out a bit more.

For me the weak link is Neff's and Keyes' boss. A wooden actor from an earlier tradition, maybe from the stage or silent pictures. But a very minor imperfection.

This movie is at the top of my noir list. This can't be beaten for the droll epigrammatic dialogue that styles the genre.

Agreed. Noir #1

Fav quote:
They'll hang you as sure as ten dimes will buy a dollar.

When you have two of the best dialogue writers working on the script…