Best and Worst : Movies ruined by sequels

Movies ruined by sequels

The quest for profit has ruined some films by turning them into franchises. I can name a few classics that were perfect as they were. They should have been one-&-dones.

The Fast & the Furious
Scream
Jumanji
Blade
From Dusk till Dawn
Sometimes They Come Back
The Skulls
Wes Cravens Dracula
Cruel Intentions
Anaconda
Wild Things
Wrong Turn
Bring It On
American Ninja
Lake Placid
Tremors

Which ones can you name?

Beware the sound of one hand clapping.

Re: Movies ruined by sequels

I concur. Tremors and Wrong Turn should have been one-off films. Sometimes They Come Back was mediocre. It really didn't deserve any sequels (same with Children of the Corn).

None. If the sequel sucks, simply ignore it and enjoy the original.

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

My password is password.

I am not the type who is capable of ignoring the pebble in their boot.

More like a pebble in the boot sitting in your closet.

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

Worked better back in the day

Then put on a different boot.

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

The reverse can be said, because I have often enjoyed the sequel over the original.

Just enjoy the installment you like and ignore the rest.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

I can't just ignore the rest. Take Aliens for example. A fine franchise. Yet Ridley Scott fucked it up with Prometheus and Covenant. And because he did so future Alien movies will take his fucked up content into account thereby tainting the franchise in all future installments. This also diminishes the pleasure of past installments due to bitterness over his stupidity.

I liked Prometheus, Scott attempted to take something back to the beginning and make it new and fresh. I found it visually strong and impressive. I saw it as its own entity and not a part of the first 3 Alien films.

Covenant took it where I didn't expect it to go, or what the ending of Prometheus promised. It sold out for cheap action/horror thrills.

I like some of the old fan fiction that portrays the xenomorphs as a species that evolved to the point where it killed almost everything else on it's homeworld, a large geothermally active rogue planetoid. As a result of killing all potential hosts it had evolved a morph capable of acting as a host which could survive the birthing process. The a radical faction of the prometheans who were in the midst of a civil war discover the rogue planet in the middle of a nebula. Upon realizing how lethal the species is they attempt to weaponize them by modifying the species to make they controllable. They unleash the modified version but miscalculate and lose control resulting in their species near eradication. This genetically modified version is what we are familiar with. The more lethal version, which includes a morph that allows self replication, is still out there on that lost planetoid.

The special morph was larger than a drone but smaller than a queen and meaner than either. Is had a hump like a hunchback with a 'blowhole' on it like a whale. It had large jaws that could hyperextend like a shark. It did not have the 2nd pair of inner jaws but rather a neck like a snapping turtle. The face-huggers would attach themselves to the 'hump'. Newborns would bust out of the hump thru the exo-skelton. The incubator morph is not a willing host and would live on the periphery of the hive where drones place eggs to ambush it. It is temporarily incapacitated by pain when the newborns emerge or it would kill those too.

There is one other lifeform on the rogue planet. A lichen like organism that consumes rock and forms the hives the Aliens live in. The slime the xenomorphs excrete rapidly accelerate the lichen growth. Lichen spores live on the xenomorphs body and the two species exist symbiotically.

I like this plotline. I think if the Alien films after Aliens had used this as the template the series would have been much better off.

Does this mean that you can't (or won't) enjoy "Jaws" because "Jaws IV: The Revenge" was a really bad film?

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Great point!

not as much.

I don't think bad sequels always ruin the originals, only that they can. Jaws is a forward enough premise (Shark attacks people) you can't really retroactively fuck up what made the original good.

My password is password

Sequels only ruin themselves.

Sequels only ruin themselves. If the original was good, it's still good. Watch the original, and ignore the sequels.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

For every movie that seems like it would have been better as a one off there was the possibility that with a better, director, script, cast what-have-you that the sequel COULD have been good.

THAT is how bad sequel harm more then themselves. They close off the option of what could have been.

Fair enough, carry on.

You can change the meaning of the events in the originals via the existence of sequels. Fight club apparently had sequels (I think novels not movies) and they gave a name to the narrator. Something pussy like Milton. Ruined it.

FACT.

Then just ignore the sequel and the new meaning it ascribes to the events in the original. It's not that hard.

I mastered this ability ever since Highlander 2 came out….

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

Is this true though? How about Alien vs Aliens? Both great movies in their own right, but in the first film the Alien is shown to be highly intelligent, curious, and sadistic - it's implied it isn't just hunting for food but deriving enjoyment from the killing. It's an enigma. Then the sequel drops and it's an oversized bug. You can't really walk that back and the Alien as an entity hasn't been creepy since.

My password is password

Sure I can. Just watch Alien and Aliens doesn’t exist. It’s all mental.

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

All mental??? Feeding your own testicles into a woodchipper and not succumbing to the pain is "all mental" (I mastered this after Prometheus dropped). Watching Alien and being wholly unaffected by the abysmal sequels is mental illness. What has been seen cannot be unseen, you goddamn faggot! You think I can look at the gigantic fossilized corpse of the Space Jockey sitting in its gay little chair and not irrevocably now see it as a 10' tall bald albino retard wearing a suit? Fucking kill yourself, cocksucker. By the way, Highlander 2 is canon, you stupid mother fucker. Fuck you.

My password is password

Go to hell

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

Penis breath!

My password is password

Uncalled for.

My password is password

Pee drinker

Grade "A" Fully Loaded
"Sexy as Hell"

Well this devolved quickly. I apologize for that other idiot’s smarmy remark.

My password is password

The Thing prequel.
Anthony Cocks has no fucking clue what he is talking about praising that trash heap.
We got the backstory already in the first one.

Every Alien based movie after Aliens.

Not really a fan of the Predator series but when they had A v P, that was getting ridiculous and dumb.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

I was looking up some of those sequel franchises recently because they pop up on the free streaming services all the time. The Lake Placid sequels are from Philip J. Roth. He also made sequels to Jarhead, the Jake Gyllenhaal movie. Of course they have nothing to do with the original. The king of direct-to-video sequels is Mike Elliott. He made sequels to Kindergarten Cop, Blue Crush, Bring it On, Scorpion King, Tremors, How High, Undercover Brother, a bunch of others. It seems he will produce a sequel to whatever he can get his hands on. One of those garbage Bring it On movies had Victor Kemper do the cinematography when he was about eighty years old. It's his last credit. His previous was American Pie Presents: Band Camp. He did movies like Dog Day Afternoon back in the seventies. It's a weird niche ecosystem in Hollywood. I'm not sure how it is profitable.

What about Honey?
I liked the first one with Jessica Alba, and of course the movies following that have nothing to do with the classic!

We don't talk about Bruno! No, no, no!

The Matrix springs to my mind first. The original is a stand alone masterpiece, and now there's been 3 crappy sequels. I refuse to acknowledge that these sequels even exist. The Matrix. That's all.

I agree. They really should have stopped with the first. The ending of the trilogy is horrible. I also refuse to watch the newest.

The Matrix

Scream got better with sequels IMO. The first Scream felt lacking for me.

I wouldn’t say the originals are ruined for me, but these are movies that spawned sequels that I had no desire to ever watch because the originals were such that it seemed like any sequel couldn’t really add anything new that would be worth watching:

The Matrix
Die Hard
The Crow

I won't say it ruined it but Alien 3 sure did a great job of making the ending of Aliens seem a waste of time.

Star Wars trilogy.

FACT.

The First 2 "TERMINATOR" Movies - (because of what happened at the beginning of "TERMINATOR: DARK FATE")

"INDEPENDENCE DAY" - (I really wish they hadn't made "INDEPENDENCE DAY: RESURGENCE", The First Movie did not need a Sequel at all)

"STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS" - (Even though the Sequel Trilogy is not popular at all with "STAR WARS" Fans, I still very much remember how after "THE FORCE AWAKENS" came out, a Majority of "STAR WARS" Fans actually enjoyed it and were excited about seeing what will happen in Episode 8 and were asking questions like "Who are Rey's Parents ?", "Is Rey the daughter of Luke Skywalker ?", "Is Luke going to train Rey ?", "Who is Supreme Leader Snoke ?", "Is Luke Skywalker going to fight Snoke ?", and many other questions and they were excited and anxious to know the answers and then Rian Johnson ruined just about all of it with what he did with "THE LAST JEDI")

"STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS" - (Even though the Sequel Trilogy is not popular at all with "STAR WARS" Fans, I still very much remember how after "THE FORCE AWAKENS" came out, a Majority of "STAR WARS" Fans actually enjoyed it and were excited about seeing what will happen in Episode 8 and were asking questions like "Who are Rey's Parents ?", "Is Rey the daughter of Luke Skywalker ?", "Is Luke going to train Rey ?", "Who is Supreme Leader Snoke ?", "Is Luke Skywalker going to fight Snoke ?", and many other questions and they were excited and anxious to know the answers and then Rian Johnson ruined just about all of it with what he did with "THE LAST JEDI")

it's hard to believe i'm saying it…but…THIS^^^

Except for Luke dying for no fucking reason, those first two were OK.

The one that ruined all three was Rise of Skywalker.
That was bullshit that needed to be different and did not follow in the SW concept of being so.

My password is password

Nah! Leia flying through the vacuum of outer space was beyond retarded!

American Psycho and The Blair Witch Project had completely unnecessary sequels.

American Pie
Basic Instinct
Charlie's Angels
The Crow
Mean Girls
Legally Blonde

We don't talk about Bruno! No, no, no!

Not Scream. They're all awesome except the 3rd one.

Just because I'm not on THEIR side, doesn't mean I'm on YOURS.

They're all shit.

My password is password

"Not Scream."

————————–

Agreed!

The Sequels are definitely Good Movies.

I actually like All 5 "SCREAM" Movies (I am definitely looking forward to seeing the 6th Movie which I know they recently began filming). When it comes to "SCREAM 3", I do like the 3rd Movie although if I had to Rank All 5 of them, the 3rd Movie would definitely be last.

Fifteen and Pregnant

My password is password