Classic Film : Memorable films about marriages

Memorable films about marriages

All kinds of marriages - good, bad, or indifferent, but films that revolve around the marriage itself, whatever subplots may intervene.

A few of my favorites:

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966) - Mike Nichols

Penny Serenade (1941) - George Stevens

Sunrise (1927) - F.W. Murnau

The Family Way (1966) - Roy Boulting

Re: Memorable films about marriages

Not technically a marriage film, but they
act in such a way.

Father Goose (1964) is a classic.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!

Father Goose

Agreed. 🙂

Adam's Rib.

Adam's Rib

One of my favorites. So funny and beautifully done. It's interesting to know that it was written by a married couple, Garson Kanin and Ruth Gordon (yes, the actress who won an Oscar for Romemary's Baby 🙂).

I started watching that on filmboards early this morning. I'd not seen that film in about a decade.

The first thing that struck me was how much I thought like Adam Bonner. I related to him more than I related to his wife. It's weird because when I watched it as a kid, I didn't understand how odd it was for a girl to think like a guy. For me it was natural.

Anyway, I've seen the film more than once and I loved it.

That's as far as I got. I had to turn it off for a few hours. I'll eventually get back to watching it again after a decade.

Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride

Another beauty. You guys are good! 🙂

I recently watched Effie Gray (2014) and, although not a perfect film, it does tell the story of a marriage that was doomed to fail from the start.

When Effie Gray becomes the wife of distinguished writer John Ruskin, it soon becomes apparent that Ruskin regards her as a muse rather than a wife, and the stifling atmosphere of their home soon takes a toll on Effie's health.

Effie Gray

Oh, I haven't seen this one, but it sounds like I'd really appreciate it. Wasn't even aware of it, so thanks for the introduction. Great cast.

Effie Gray

There’s a road and a pub (The Ruskin Arms) close to where I was born named after John Ruskin but after watching this film I can’t think of anyone else less suitable for this sort of recognition. A road I can understand but not a rowdy music venue where Small Faces and Iron Maiden played their early gigs.

Effie Gray

🙂

Too Hot To Handle…irl

So many to choose from!

And so many I still haven't seen. Of those I have see, my favorites are A Woman Under the Influence, Coal Miner's Daughter, Urban Cowboy, and Lost in America.

I really meant and want to see Blue Valentine and Breaking the Waves, but they got away from me.

And oh, your mention of Making Love brings back so many memories, because I have personal connections to a couple of cast members and the director. Not a very good film, in my opinion, but a ground-breaking one for its time. I wish it had been better, but I give it a lot of credit for its boldness back in the day - and especially to the male actors, both of whom are straight.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Post deleted

Life With Father

Mr. Blandings Builds his Dream House

My Favourite Wife

"Miss Edith speaks out of turn. She's a bad example, and will have no cakes today." ~ Drusilla

Three of my favorites!

Wonderful classics. I especially love Mr. Blandings Dream House. I can watch that one over and over and never get tired of it.

Three of my favorites!

I know. Every time it's on TCM, I'll rent it, but it's never available to buy. Just like Irma LaDouce - that's another one (OT) that I want to own.

When Mr. Blandings was on (back when I got TCM), same thing, I could watch it over and over and never tire of it.

"Bill Cole. Friend of the family." (<– when the roads are washed out?) Hahah!

I know it's good when I can sit there and watch Cary Grant shave his face for 3 minutes doing nothing else, (while Myrna is in the shower) and I'm pleasantly entertained. Them just rummaging through the closet trying to find things. Eating breakfast.

Plus when they were drilling to find water. And the closet scene, that was a hoot.

Still loved the explanation of paint colours (remember that?)

"Miss Edith speaks out of turn. She's a bad example, and will have no cakes today." ~ Drusilla

Three of my favorites!

Oh, lord, yes! It's one I have almost memorized. And still I never grow weary of it. The chemistry between Grant and Loy is phenomenal. Oh, and you may not know, but I learned a couple of years ago that it's based upon a true story of the author of the original story and then novel building his own house.

Per wikipedia: "The short story and novel were based on the author Eric Hodgins's experience with buying property and building a house in the Merryall area of the town of New Milford, Connecticut. The real house was completed in 1939, but was so expensive — his original budget was $11,000 but the final cost was about $56,000 — that Hodgins was forced to sell it. It was sold in 1945 for $38,000 to John Allard, a retired Air Force general. Hodgins unsuccessfully tried to buy the house back after receiving $200,000 in movie rights to the book. In 1953, the house was sold to Ralph Gulliver, a fuel oil dealer in New Milford, who gave it to his son, Jack, in 1972.[2] In 1980, the house was sold to the author and composer Stephen Citron and his wife, the biographer and novelist Anne Edwards.[3] In 2004, the house was sold for $1.2 million."

Amazing!

Three of my favorites!

That breaks my heart that he invested in the house, built it, put so much into it, sold it at a loss, and tried to get his home back and couldn't. That $56k turning into $1.2 million. Oh dear God, that's just heartbreaking.

I understand on an intellectual level that it's all about business, but if I knew the story behind it, and knew what the man went through to get this house created, if I paid $38k for a $56k house, and was offered double or even triple that, I can't imagine saying no to the poor fellow.

I had no idea that this was based on a true story. I love it just as much and think I have most of the movie memorized. I recall scenes with such vividness. I really, really love that movie. It's pretty fascinating given the whole movie relies entirely on the chemistry of the cast and a strong and engaging story.

Post deleted

Scenes from a Marriage is good, though a little depressing.

Scenes from a Marriage

Bergman is one of my all time favorite directors and I've seen lots of his films, but I'm sorry to say that I have not seen this one. There was also a tv series or version, if I'm not mistaken. I've always regretted that I let this get away from me. And, knowing Bergman, I imagine it probably is a little depressing. 🙂

Scenes from a Marriage

The tv series is the original uncut version. An abridged version was shown in theaters.

Scenes from a Marriage

Oh, I see. It would have been interesting to see the series, I think. But if the story's a bit of a downer, maybe it's better in the abridged version.

I tried to think of films that showed different aspects and challenges of marriage.

Tokyo Story-love and commitment
45 Years-secrets of the past
Amour-at the end
Reflections in a Golden Eye-lies and secrecy
Mr. Skeffington-ego and vainness
Journey to Italy-at a crossroads
La Notte-troubled marriage
Marriage Italian Style- plain craziness
Jules and Jim-marrying a free spirit
Random Harvest-The power of what absolute true love can accomplish
The Marrying Kind-remembering why you married
Made For Each Other-marrying too soon
A Woman Under the Influence-substance abuse

before you leave remember I was with you

Oh, what a wonderful, wonderful list! (Though I haven't yet seen Tokyo Story, Journey to Italy and La Notte - I know, I know - been trying to get to them for years!). But except for Reflections in a Gold Eye, which I could never quite warm to, I honestly love all the rest - some more than others, but they are all such beautiful illustrations of the complexities of marriage, as you have so specifically and beautifully articulated. Thanks so much for the post.

If you haven't seen Tokyo Story then we'll need to have a long long talk. 😉

Yeah, I never was a huge fan of Reflections either. It had everything you wanted, great director, great actors and a gripping story but for whatever reason it missed the mark for me.

I'll add a few more I thought of.

Suspicion, Rebecca, Elevator to the Gallows all throw a different darker twist on marriage.

Woman of the Year, The Thin Man series are fun looks at marriage.

My Favorite Wife-a unique look at marriage

Through a Glass Darkly- isolation and mental illness and its effects

I'll push the envelope with The Quiet Family. Not necessarily about marriage but when an entire family kills people and needs to get rid of the bodies while still trying to keep the family business going it may put a bit of a strain on a marriage!

before you leave remember I was with you

All great choices, though I'm not sure about The Quiet Family. Haven't seen it, but from what I read, it's probably not my cup of tea.

But your others are great. Seeing Through a Glass Darkly (and Splendor in the Grass) in 1961 when I was very young made me decide to become a director. So I'll forever be in Bergman's as well as Kazan's debt.

Re: Tokyo Story

Well, I finally saw it, just recently – after first seeing the other "Noriko trilogy" films, Late Spring and Early Summer – and I loved it! Can't believe I waited so long to see Ozu films. He was a truly great director.

And I also recently saw Rossellini's Journey to Italy, which I greatly admired. I've seen all other the films you mention above, except The Quiet Family, though I have a feeling I probably won't see that one. I love all the others, especially Through a Glass Darkly, which I believe is a masterpiece!

And I only recently saw Elevator to the Gallows, which I thought was a superb Louis Malle work (also recently saw his Au revoir les enfants, another remarkable work, so he's been on my mind).

Anyway, glad to report that I saw Tokyo Story. And thanks to you for all the interesting and appropriate suggestions.

Gone Girl.

Gone Girl

Thanks, peach. I haven't seen this one, because from what I read and saw it sounded like it would be pretty upsetting to me, given that I'd had some difficult losses in my life at that time, so I chose to avoid it. But I may give it renewed consideration sometime soon. I know it got quite a bit of praise when it was released.

Barefoot in the park

Barefoot in the Park

A thoroughly entertaining, funny, and well acted film. Loved Redford and Fonda together.

There's a movie called Grounds for Marriage (1951) but I can't seem to find it.

PS: I'm trying to find Mr. Blandings to watch (and hopefully to buy) but buggerall, I still can't find it anywhere.

But in the spirit, I'm currently watching My Favourite Wife.

😊

Not sure if it was already mentioned but War of the Roses.

War of the Roses

Not sure, but it's okay to mention it again. I thought it was a very funny, well-acted, thoroughly entertaining film, beautifully directed by Danny De Vito. He and Douglas first met when Douglas produced One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and out of that an enduring friendship was born.

Anyway, I haven't seen this film since it was released in 1989, but I still vividly remember the final scene. That's saying something.

War of the Roses

I'm bringing it up again because I fiiiiiinally found it to purchase:

Mr. Blanding's Builds His Dream House

So happy for you. 👍

The Painted Veil

For me this is a real beautiful film about marriage and what is, what if
.luck
..love
…life

simple like so

The Painted Veil

Haven not seen this one, but thanks so much for the recommendation. Glad it pleases you. There's a 1930s Garbo version, but I haven't seen that one either. I have a feeling in this case I would probably prefer your version. 🙂

I have no legs

The Little Mermaid

Haven't seen this one, but it looks enchanting, albeit a film about a marriage just beginning. 🙂

Some husbands are 'kept':

Huh? You're trying to say that nimda wants to be my "kept" husband?

Kept Husbands

Not familiar with this one, Mike, but I love Joel MacRae. I'll keep and eye out for it on TCM.

Kept Husbands

👍

Father of the Bride