Princess Diana : Member of the Royal Family or not?

Member of the Royal Family or not?

When Diana was killed, the Queen felt it improper to hold a Royal funeral because she felt Diana was not a member of the Royal Family. Granted, she was divorced from the Prince of Wales, but, she was related by direct blood to Prince William, a future King. How could she not be a member of the Royal Family? I’ve never understood this.

Updated 3 Apr 09: I found the answer:

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=56219

She was considered a member of the Royal Family when it suited them.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Member of the Royal Family or not?

She meant that Diana was not BORN a member of the royal family.

Maybe, but I took the Queen's attitude to be since the divorce, Diana was no longer an "HRH" and therefore did not deserve the perks, respect or honors due that title.

That is absolutely true--once you lose the "HRH," you are technically no longer royal. I'm sure you've read about the duchess of Windsor. She was never granted the right to use "HRH" and the duke never forgave his family for it. It meant that no one had to curtsey to her or address her as "Your Royal Highness." Diana was divorced from Charles, and did not have the right to use "HRH;" despite her status as William and Harry's mother, she herself was not royal.

I remember reading that after the funeral, the Queen spoke to Diana's brother and offered to restore the "HRH" to Diana. What have been the point?

but, she was related by direct blood to Prince William, a future King. How could she not be a member of the Royal Family? I’ve never understood this.

It's really quite simple. By looking at her blood lines, you need to look up, not down.

When I said I wanted to be a comedian, they all laughed at me. Well, they're not laughing now!

"Look up, not down?" Sorry, but I don't follow.

And she was the great great niece of Georgiana Cavendhish the duchess of Devonshire.
So she still had noble blood.

Diana was the great-great-great-grand-niece of the fifth Duchess of Devonshire, sister of the second Earl Spencer, father of the third and fourth Earls Spencer. The third Earl's wife died childless, so the title went to his younger brother, the fourth Earl, whose older son became the fifth Earl, whose wife never gave birth. The fifth Earl's younger brother the sixth Earl fathered six children, one of whom was Diana's grandfather the seventh Earl, known as "Jolly Jack", whose only son was Di's father the eighth Earl.

Diana and Charles were seventh cousins once removed due to direct descent from Duchess Georgiana's grandfather-in-law the third Duke of Devonshire, but also eleventh cousins once removed through James I, the son of Mary, Queen of Scots, and sixteenth cousins once removed from Henry VII, father of Henry VIII.

Ok I lost you after being the great great grand niece of Georgiana.
But at least I got that she is also related the very famous and controversial Henry VIII.

So still had Royal Blood

It's really interesting but confusing.

Diana was not of royal birth, and was considered a commoner even though she was hardly common. The present Queen thinks along the same line as her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria: there is herself, her family, and everyone else. In the "everyone else league" Victoria thought of royalty as above the wealthy, titled aristocracy, which she dismissed as nearly as common as the real commoners, and certainly more immoral. Queen Victoria looked upon Dukes and mill-hands alike. Not born to the purple.

Now, of course, the British aristocracy, which has fought like gangbusters through the centuries in more ways than one to marry into or subvert the Monarchy, now looks down on the crown as a bunch of German bounders. If one were to study those bloodlines more closely, they would realize that the only one who is really German among the senior royals is Charles's father Prince Philip, who has been raised as an Englishman since he was twelve, attended British schools, served in the Royal Navy during World War II, and has stood by the Monarch for sixty-six mostly happy years.

By the way, Diana also had alot of German blood in her veins, so she was not the true-blue Englishwoman the press has made her out to be. And Philip's bloodlines through his Danish forbears stretches back to the ninth century before Alfred the Great united all those Anglo-Saxon tribes. Something to think about, isn't it?

Woww
Really interesting information, so even though dukes and duchesses even tough they were very powerful weren't consider part of the Royalty so there is no true blue blood in them?

And even tough Diana came from a line of many Aristocrats, doesn't count be eligible as a wife of a king at least not by Title the queen picked her basically because she thought Diana was Calm person who would give a good name to the royalty but after she discovered how open was Diana to the press she changed her mind.