Lancer : Johnny Madrid-Worst gunfighter ever.

Johnny Madrid-Worst gunfighter ever.

I've seen him drop his gun and he doesn't seem to be able to hit anything. But still, I liked the show and, other than the gunfighting thing, James Stacy did a good job.

Re: Johnny Madrid-Worst gunfighter ever.

Obviously, you've never fired a single-action weapon of the era. JS was surprisingly good (when compared to other western "stars" out there) in the way he handled a hand gun. What you are forgetting is that the writers were the ones who scripted the activity: which is why it appeared he was always losing his pistol, or getting hit on the head or -- for that matter -- getting shot off his horse. He did really well in To Chase a Wild Horse when he drew on the Stryker boy (the film was not speeded up to make him look fast; he was fast), and his target shooting in "The Kid" wasn't all that bad.

James Stacy was lethal with a revolver in two of the best Gunsmoke episodes ever, "Vengeance", part I & II (1967), from season 13, in which he went up against a whole town of killers.

mulroon02,
Had to come back for this....."Vengeance" was great. Odd how he went up against a pre-Newly Buck Taylor.

Actually, I have extensive experience with those weapons. I don't think the writers had his pistol falling out of the holster while he was carrying his gun belt. I'm not doubting his speed, but when shooting at the bad guys, he rarely hit them.