American Beauty : Is this a "feel good" movie to you?

Is this a "feel good" movie to you?

On paper, the plot and some of the themes seem incredibly depressing. The ending especially reads as dark. For me, something about the direction and overall positive message of embracing life places it among Fight Club as another feel good story wrapped in darkness.

Eh I don't know what 'phallocentric' means, but NO GIRLS!

Re: Is this a "feel good" movie to you?

I had never thought of it that way but I can see your point. Feel good? Not really, but to me it is a good satire on the average American suburban life of middle-class white families. And since it is darkly comedic I find it entertaining. I don't take anything meaningful from it, just entertainment, especially Spacey's role. It is one my long-time favorites and I re-watch it periodically. Along with about 20 other "favorites."

..*.. TxMike ..*..

"Feel good" is not this.

Re: Is this a 'feel good' movie to you?

Yes, now that I'm in my 60s, and Lester died at 42, it's a feel-good movie for me. Lester died happy.

Re: Is this a 'feel good' movie to you?

Not quite a "feel good" but there is a sense of bitter sweetness you receive the first time watching it.

Somewhere in the middle of the movie i thought it was a really positive movie when everything was going so great for everybody.
Lester was finally free of his *beep* job and wife, his daughter found the love of her life, and his wife finally got a proper lover. If it ended right then and there it would be a really happy ending