Classic Film : Is Citizen Kane overrated?

Is Citizen Kane overrated?

?

Re: Is Citizen Kane overrated?

yeah. piece of crap. never could get past 20 min or less. UNBEARABLE!

My password is password

I think so, but I also think Gone With The Wind is overrated.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you in both cases.

smile.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 President Trump is a HERO, and will win in a landslide in November!

Chocolate and vanilla.. biggrin.gif

Yep! And we both agree that 2001 is the best film of all time, right?

smile.gif

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 President Trump is a HERO, and will win in a landslide in November!

Without a doubt!

clap.gif cooldance.gif cheers.gif golfclap.gif

🌞

I could not stand Gone With The Wind.

Yay CorNelly! The acting is so hammy it makes me cringe!

YES! THe acting was so over the to[ it distracted from the story!! NZer! love10.gif

We might be the only two people in the known universe who hate GWTW!!
aura.gif

I am on that side of things often. laugh.gif

Me too. biggrin.gif

I'm not real high on Citizen Kane, so for me it seems a bit over-rated. That being said my views often differ from the movie critics. I might not have noticed how great the lighting was in various scenes and stuff like that.

Citizen Kane got beat out by How Green Was My Valley for the 1941 Academy Award.

1941 Academy Award Nominees for Best Picture:
How Green Was My Valley 20th Century-Fox
Blossoms in the Dust Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
Citizen Kane Mercury
Here Comes Mr. Jordan Columbia
Hold Back the Dawn Paramount
The Little Foxes Samuel Goldwyn Productions
The Maltese Falcon Warner Bros.
One Foot in Heaven Warner Bros.
Sergeant York Warner Bros.
Suspicion RKO Radio

No, it is not.

The fact that it lost to a mediocre film like How Green Was My Valley, just proves once again how stupid the people in Hollyweird are.

mjeyds.gif

No, it is not.

I like How Green Was My Valley.

No, it is not.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla, Bubba.

smile.gif

No, it is not.

I wouldn't say that How Green was My Valley was really in one of my favorite flavor groups. I just think its story is good and that it is very well done.

Now Sgt. York and Suspicion are also movies that I prefer to Citizen Kane and are flavors that are closer to my preferred flavors.

No need to start name calling just because I showed that Citizen Kane was not considered the top movie of its year.

No, it is not.

I didn't call you a name, Shirley.

mjeyds.gif

No, it is not.

how green was my valley is not a mediocre film.

No, it is not.

I disagree.

mjeyds.gif

No, it is not.

u can.

No, it is not.

👍

No.

Watch it with the commentary by Roger Ebert and you will see and hear why it is not.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

clap.gif cheers.gif

No

No I don't think so. It's one of the best films of all time, and was way ahead of its time. I've viewed it several times, and enjoyed it each time.

mjeyds.gif

It is a great movie, but even if you don't like it, it will always be one of the most important films ever made for its innovations in filmmaking.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

👍👍

No.

Orson Welles' masterpiece

👍👍

I find it extremely dull.

I love Citizen Kane. It's a masterpiece so far as I'm concerned. Yes, Orson Welles was aiming very high, and he had the chops; whether as writer, director or producer. If I find a Welles picture (or project) not up to par at times, it's too Welles dominated, not enough; not maybe a great narrative, yet great film-making.

👍👍

Welles followed the path of D.W. Griffith. They studied every cinematic technique leading up to their times and with great ingenuity combined it all into a fully realized and seamless whole.

Welles had the advantage of a further twenty years of technical innovation. Much of what makes Kane so impressive is invisible unless you look for it (use of deep focus, combined images, etc.).

You may or may not like Citizen Kane, but its place in film history is secure.

And This, Too, Shall Pass Away

👍

It's a good film. I enjoy it on a long lazy afternoon, but I don't think it's great.
Personally, I prefer The Magnificent Ambersons over CC. Just my opinion.

You asked a pretty question; I've given you the ugly answer.
Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!