Monsters : I don't understand Dracula's motivation in the movies.

I don't understand Dracula's motivation in the movies.

I've seen three versions of Dracula now, the 1931, the 1979, and the 1992 versions.

Minor spoilers:

I read that fans of the novel criticized the 1992 one because they didn't like how Dracula fell in love with Mina and that Mina was his re-encarinated love from centuries ago. But this made a lot more sense to me because in the other two versions, he becomes obsessed with Harker's fiancee for no real reason it seems. Why her? What's so special about her? But the other movies don't seem to have a reason.

Unless I missed something?

Re: I don't understand Dracula's motivation in the movies.

Motivation???

It's a Virus! 🦇

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Dracula is a human so filled with hate that he became a kind of demon.

So, he has the same kind of motivations as Lucifer which is to be opposed to creation. So, if he sees a nice person, he must turn them into something grotesque and so on.

In the 1992 version, Dracula was fighting off Muslims invading Christian lands and so he's fighting for Jesus. This did not work out and his wife who he loves very much dies.

Dracula was the kind of guy who wants to be rewarded by god. You do not do good deeds to be rewarded, you do them to help creation. So, Dracula became enraged at god for the death of his wife and that brought evil into him and he became like a demon.

His general motivation was to defy god in any way he could.

He wanted his wife back at any cost and was willing to do whatever he could to pervert the natural order.

Oh okay. But outside of the 1992 version even if he is th devil and he just wants corrupt a good person, wouldn't he just want to bite people and turn them into vampires, left and right like an unstoppable machine instead of just concentrating on one person. I thought that the devil wants to bring down everyone, and not just one person he feels deserves extra attention over everyone else. Plus he takes such a long time to corrupt this woman and I don't understand why he draws it out in such a slow burn.

Can't he just turn her into a vampire and be done with it? Is it so the movies can be long enough that he has to draw it out?

Do you want to eat bags of chips every day or would you like to wait for a slow cooked meal with lots of different flavors and side dishes?

In modern movies, there's the evil slasher/murderer and that's a very simple story.

In Christopher Lee Dracula movies he was behind things like international drug trade. So, Dracula was trying to do complex things to degenerate society.

Many serial killers and sociopaths love to seduce people and make them think they are nice, then destroy or torture them.

John Wayne Gacy and Dahmer used to hunt gay guys and get them back to their place and then rape, torture, and murder them. Why not just murder them and leave?

That's because they want to destroy the person's mind before they killed them.

So, Dracula is a story about that kind of person.

I was talking about the THEME of Star Wars in another thread. It's WWII told in a fun way. The theme of vampires is that someone in real life who looks good, is rich, etc may in fact be a horrible parasite.

Cool post.

I don't watch all movies about Dracula because I'm not a huge fan of vampire movies. I was lucky to see the few good ones that I already have.

I agreed. Dracula is a demon whose goal is destroying God's favorite creations. In that way, he becomes god-like on Earth. He is the source of vampirism and predator of all warm-blooded animals. His powers are vast like God. Vampirism is a virus. He only needs to bite one human and turn them. That human changes and feeds off another human which basically turns them. So it just populates.

You could be right about the theme although I'm not going to analyze about this topic anymore.

I would love it if they started making the Christopher Lee type movies again.

He was originally Fu Manchu. That's an evil Chinese character who was trying to undermine Europeans through drug running, etc. Due to it being considered racist, they swapped out Fu Manchu with Dracula.

Imagine a complex crime movie with gangsters, etc and the twist is Dracula is behind it.

I think that would go over pretty well if the writing was good.

Imagine a complex crime movie with gangsters, etc and the twist is Dracula is behind it.

I think I saw one like that. I gotta remember though.

I would like some modern twist.

I liked Dark Knight because it was a crime movie, with Batman. I like when they take a typical kind of movie genre and insert something unique in it.

I understand. Hollywood is forced to insert something unique the formula otherwise people would get bored.

That's a good and fair question. The above user explains everything very well.

Have you seen the three-part Dracula series currently on Netflix?

They handle the Mina situation very differently and in a way that makes Dracula appear to make more sense.

In that series, Dracula can absorb the memories and knowledge from drinking the blood of his victims. He develops a fascination with Mina after drinking Harker's blood while holding him captive in his castle.

However, upon finally meeting Mina, Dracula considers her a "boring child" and doesn't bother with her.

He's far more fascinated and focused on unusual people who he can "absorb" worthwhile traits and talents from. He quickly dismissed Mina, as he found her useless and dull.

🦸‍♀️ Up, up, and away! 🦸‍♀️

I saw that.

It's still a good parable about a type of parasite.

I'm sure in showbiz, there's a lot of vampires like that.

Oh okay. No I never knew there was a Netflix series.

Also, I know that in the book and other movies, Dracula wants Lucy and not Mina, but I thought the same principle applied in what does he see in her that is so special compared to others. But I guess like it was said, some serial killers for example fancy certain people.

So far out of the three Dracula movies I saw, the best version is probably the 1979 one I would say, but have not see the Christopher Lee one.

The Netflix series deals with this very well, too.

Dracula is portrayed as a true sociopath who doesn't love anyone, but after dismissing Mina, he is fascinated by Lucy.

In the series, Lucy possesses a trait that is the opposite of Dracula's biggest weakness and fear (I don't want to give away any spoilers), so he is intrigued by this.

Even then, he doesn't love her or obsess over her, he is only fascinated by her ability he wants to possess.

🦸‍♀️ Up, up, and away! 🦸‍♀️