The Sergeant : I HATED this film/and HATED the main character!!!

I HATED this film/and HATED the main character!!!

I love Rod Steiger and even though his acting, as usual, was brilliant and, the film was well done I HATED this movie!! I came away feeling as if I had wasted two hours of my film on watching something HIGHLY UNPLEASANT and actually felt…YUCKY!!…afterwards.
I found NOTHING sympathetic in the character. Marlon Brando played an Army man who was a repressed homosexual in "Reflections in an Golden Eye" and his performance was touching and sad and his character WAS sympathetic. I found NOTHING about Rod Steiger's character's personality sympathetic. His character was PREDATORY!!! His personality, yes, was tortured but I felt NO sympathey towards him. I actually found myself yelling at the t.v. towards the end…"PLEASE, KILL YOURSELF AND GET THIS OVER WITH!!!"
YUCK!! I don't recommend this film, even for Rod Steiger fans.
Oh…one bright light in it was the relationship between John Phillip Law's character with his French girlfriend. There was such tenderness between them it felt downright real! That was the ONLY thing I liked about this film…

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: I HATED this film/and HATED the main character!!!

The fact that Law's character and his girlfriend were such a cute couple made the title character's anguish even more intense, I think.

I seems rather obvious that you neither appreciated nor understood this film. Do you always react this way to things you find so "HIGHLY UNPLEASANT"?

Perhaps you should take another look with a more open mind and put your pre-conceived notions aside temporarily.

IMHO, it's an excellent film, one that hardly deserves the kind of obscurity into which it's fallen over the years.

Regards,

Conrad

Post deleted

Sergeant Callan is a despicable character. In addition to being predatory, he is megalomanical and sadistic. However, perhaps these characteristics were imbued into his character by the writers to make it that much more difficult to be sympathetic toward him. These odious characteristics are overpowered by his innate human weakness and ultimately make him a pitiable figure.

In terms of life experience, an important point of consideration is the age difference between Callan and Swanson. For this reason, Swanson likely is incapable of understanding the emotional turmoil that Callan is going through.

Otherwise, a fairly realistic portrayal of non-combat Army boredom and ennui. I wonder how many people who haven't experienced military service can understand the driving forces behind the hedonistic and self-destructive behavior of off-duty soldiers.

I've wanted to see this movie since it first came out in 1968; finally got to see it yesterday via a video download.

I think the OP has issues with gay men. Sure he WAS unpleasant but he was gay and couldn't tell anybody and act on it. I thought Steiger was brilliant in his role–I could see the pain and anguish in his eyes. SPOILERS!!!!! When he finally kissed Law at the end in torment I felt like crying because he was so in pain.

Post deleted

Post deleted