The Watercooler : How much of this is true?

How much of this is true?

I came across this list of things Americans think are normal but the rest of the world disagrees.

One of the more bizarre claims is that Americans don't own kettles!
That can't be right can it?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephenlaconte/weird-things-americans-do-reddit?d_id=2164481&ref=bffbbuzzfeedtasty&utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeedtasty&fbclid=IwAR1a-xp-Q8hoTBMNl307lqXOl_ICT7Cg4H4euh13z92wM_OIHNHBS30rW5U

Hey dude…get your own signature Dane you piece of shit.

Re: How much of this is true?

It is complete BS ofc, they do own them but they call them elevators.

This guy can explain it better than me.

CHINK-SLIT LIUVER,. I HATWE CINSK, - @Azn2

I wonder what the yanks call a doner, chips and cheese - particularly when it’s 4AM on a Saturday and you’re stumbling around with no shoes on.

I feel like there’s certain parts of British culture that just don’t translate to anywhere else.

Champions league winner and man of the match v England

doner, chips and cheese

I have a feeling that asking around for this in the states would eventually end up with a taser to the torso and pepper spray in the eyes. Americans fear/incarcerate what they do not understand.

I know it's only 10:13 AM but I could actually go for that right now ya know.

Do you ever leave a doner kebab out all night and eat it in the morning?

It’s a bit like taking drugs - there’s a slim chance it might kill you, but it’s very enjoyable.

Seeing as I have never had a kebab while sober, any left over kebab meat would have to be eaten hungover, I'd rather have Jimmy Saville host my nephews birthday with Rolf Harris and Ian Watkins in the band.

Fuck sake

Beans on toast too.

lol or beans with breakfast? That's just weird. Baked beans are not a breakfast food.

That's just weird. Baked beans are not a breakfast food.

And fuggin Pancakes with Syrup are?

Dunno. Not had that in years. I don't think it's a regular daily breakfast thing.

Also grits. It is made with corn. If beans are a weird breakfast food then so is corn. Why don't you just have a whole Sunday roast while your at it lol

Grits are a regional thing. Never seen or tasted them before.

What do you like to have for brekky?

I'll usually just make a smoothie with fruit and yogurt or a bowl of cereal.

Did not think it be possible to juice a whole bowl of cereal. Fair play mate.

Your banter is atrocious

Alba gu bràth

Your mother.

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

No full English is complete without Beans!

Gross.

I've never liked beans and I think it's because of the scene in Tommy.

I've been to England a few times. Whenever I have breakfast there I ask them to hold the beans and have a grilled tomato instead. Much nicer. Beans aren't a breakfast item. English breakfast sausage is nice, but the bacon is too meaty and never crispy enough.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)
Murdered by a Teutonic catfish

I don't mind beans but I quite like them in a separate pot so they don't adulterate the egg.

So what is your opinion on the kettle issue?

Kettles are primarily for tea making. It's not such a big thing over here, in Americaland. We have coffee machines. Anything else you might use a kettle for the microwave has generally become the more effecient appliance.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

You Americans are funny!

Yes, we're a peculiar breed. It's embarrassing, really. I feel a deep sense of shame on behalf of all 330 million of us.

R. I. P. FFS (1975-2021)

Use the sausage as a breakwater

Right, I’m going to get a spot of breakfast. Oh, quick tip, Lynn. You know the breakfast buffet? Eat as much as you like but from an eight-inch plate? See that? [Shows Lynn his big plate] Twelve inches… Keep it in my room. [Lynn walks off, unimpressed] See you later!

Classic.

Are you watching his new series?

Didn't know about it!

Only seen the first episode so far, will probably watch the second tonight.

There’s a new series of Inside No. 9 starting on Monday too btw

That's great news, thanks.
I only have two episodes of Midsommer murders to go now and then we've done all 22 seasons!

Are you enjoying the new series?

I think I’m a few episodes behind.

No offence but I'm not clicking on that.

On what??

Oh the youtube link? Kaaaay? 🤔

did u know you can have youtube videos posted by others embedded in the post rather than a link?

Asking what somebody does is an icebreaker. In college you ask what their major is.

A lot of Americans deny they speak with an accent. They most likely speak with a General American English accent which is what TV news presenters are trained to use.

Attack ads are effective but there is a taboo around them or at least used to be. You can read a lot of histories of campaigns where the candidate is behind in the polls until they finally relent and okay the use of an attack ad. Sometimes it backfires when it is particularly nasty.

Traffic stops when the school bus stops because a kid might have to cross the street and we give them the right of way.

MM/DD/YY is common but I prefer putting the day first.

The drinking and voting ages used to be the same. They say less young adults died when they raised it. Sounds plausible. I've heard stories of people underage drinking though.

I didn't know there was maternity leave. I thought pregnant women just got fired.

Yes, the main course is an entrée.

Ice keeps water cold and you can always ask for more water. There are people whose only job in the restaurant is to walk around filling glasses with water.

Some people identify with whatever their heritage is. We're a nation of immigrants. People with Scotch-Irish heritage often claim their heritage is American but others do as well.

In a winner-take-all political system two parties is the stable state.

Walter Karp said the Pledge of Allegiance was adopted so Americans would turn their loyalty away from the Republic and towards the Nation. I think it was later boosted so kids wouldn't become communists. It does seem like something you would see in a young adult dystopian novel.

Soda-pop is cheap. It's possibly related to the obesity epidemic.

There is an industry for giving loans to get people bailed out of jail. And then bounty hunters go after people who don't pay back their high interest loans. It's just a better way to organize society.

Ambulance rides cost money everywhere. It is only fair that the person using it should pay for it. If they can't pay for it, well, there will probably be a bounty hunter after them.

A lot of people die earlier than otherwise because they don't get preventive care because they are worried about the expense. And a lot of people have to eventually get more expensive care because they didn't go to the doctor earlier. I'm afraid bounty hunters are of no utility in this situation.

Yes, people can peek inside of stalls or crawl under them but we don't do that. There is a sort of foot tapping thing that gay men do to pick each other up that is only possible because the walls of the stalls don't go all the way down. We're probably not willing to give that up.

All of our food tastes different from real food because of the sugar in it.

We make taxes explicit.

In the 1980s the FDA allowed drug companies to advertise directly to consumers (a word we use for "people") but some drugs are not over the counter so they have to ask their doctor for them and the drug companies send attractive women to the doctors and give them swag so they will prescribe their drugs.

They have to list side effects when advertising so the consumer is properly informed but the print is tiny or the audio is sped up to get it all in the allotted space or time. Nobody pays attention to them.

I do think the casual violence is strange. I guess it is easier than thinking of clever dialogue.

College expenses have grown a lot over the decades I think largely because of increased student services and administration overhead and maybe just because they can get away with it but the value has dropped as more students attend. Maybe it was once a good value and it is kept alive by that memory.

I don't get into conversations in public with strangers and they don't try with me. Maybe it depends on what part of the country you live in.

The ubiquity of the flag is for the same reason as the existence of the Pledge.

Police patrolling schools happened in schools outside of the inner cities after Columbine. As soon as everything cools down they'll leave.

We do have kettles but microwaves are faster.

Thank you for your comprehensive reply.

Of all the things on the list it was the kettle thing that surprised me most! I definitely think my electric kettle boils water quicker than a microwave, not that I've tested it.

University is definitely an expensive thing in the UK so not sure what they were talking about, I think maybe the Scots get free tuition but it's usually around £9000 per year in England just for tuition and not including accommodation etc

Hi! I still have a kettle. I usually only use it when I have company, which hasn't exactly been a lot lately. My stepmother, sisters, and I all drank tea when we lived at home, so there was always a kettle on the stove/cooker/hob?
Since it's just me at home most of the time, I just heat up a mug of water in the microwave for my tea. The Mr. has his morning coffee, so he has his coffee maker.

about a year ago, I came across a guy on YouTube. He's from the UK, but has lived in the US for about 12 years or so. His channel is called Lost In The Pond. He discusses the differences and adjusting to life in America. He's very entertaining and funny in a self deprecating way. You might find him interesting and informative. Here's a link. He has lots of fun videos.

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

Thanks for that, I'll take a look.
I kind of knew that you would have a kettle! I mean if you were making a drink for several people a kettle would be far more efficient right?

I don't know why but microwaving water seems quite bizarre to me, I don't even know how to explain how strange it seems

It reminds me of seeing Cliff Barnes in Dallas using the hot water tap to make instant coffee!

I miss my tea parties with the girls. As for the microwave, it just seems more convenient for heating water for one cup when I'm in the mood.

You are the one who turned me on to beans on toast. When we have baked beans, I'm happy because I know that beans on toast is in my future!

Fasten Your Seatbelts….
It's Going To Be A Bumpy Night!

I have a kettle. :)

The water tastes differently when it's boiled, compared to when it's nuked.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." Morticia Addams

Yes!

I was trying to imagine how nuked water would taste and I just can't imagine it tasting the same as freshly boiled.

I just did an experiment!
I boiled a mug of cold water (300mls or 1/2 pint) in my glass kettle and it reached a rolling boil at 1 minute 15 seconds.
I put the same mug of cold water in the wave and nuked it and at 1.15 it was still tepid, I could dip my finger in it.

QED- the kettle is more efficient even for one cup. Americans, buy a kettle it will change your lives!

My microwave kicks ass. I like having a tall glass of black tea with honey and I nuke it for 2 minutes

We used to have a kettle, my dad used it, probably for his Cup o Noodles

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Very handy for noodles

Even nuking water for longer to get a proper hot cup to make, still doesn't taste as good as boiling water in the kettle. There's a different mouth feel.

"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly." Morticia Addams

I have one of these units. It’s used only for boiling water for tea, coco, and sometimes cup of soup, or top ramen. I use it so much that I wore my first one out, and am now on my second unit.

I’ve heard that regardless of how water is boiled, when you boil it, it leaves it with a flat taste. Microwaves cook food in a way that makes it taste quite different. You can really tell the difference between a potato cooked in the microwave, vs in a conventional oven. I almost always use the microwave though, because it’s more efficient. A potato that takes 5 minutes in the microwave, takes 45 minutes or more in an oven, and I prefer to use less energy. I’m thinking about getting a solar cooker.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I use the microwave to partially cook the potato, I usually give it 5 mins, then rub it in oil and then finish it in the oven to make the skin nice and crispy.
Microwaves are almost a necessity for reheating but they're no substitute for proper cooking.