Horror : Horror movies I've watched so far this month.

Horror movies I've watched so far this month.

And ratings of each.  If anyone is interested…
Btw, if I don't go into detail about it, then it probably wasn't worth mentioning.  You can also probably tell below it's a rare occasion I enjoy a new release.

1st time viewings (I'm too damn lazy to look up the release dates on some of these):

-Spell:  4/10
-Warm Bodies: 5/10
-Becoming: 4/10
-No One Gets Out Alive (2021): 5/10
-Family Blood: 5/10
-The Manor (2021): 5/10
-It Waits:  Not too bad 6/10
-Coherence: Not too bad. 6/10
-Halloween Kills (2021):  Disappointing 5/10.
-Old (2021) M. Night new flick.  Not bad plot but characters were discombobulated.  6/10.

Rewatches:

-Rosemary's Baby:  Always great 9/10.
-The Descent:  Great movie 8/10.
-Creepshow (1982):  I have loved this movie since I was a kid.  One of my top faves. 10/10.
-Creepshow 2:  Not as good as original, but still like 6/10.
-The Exorcist:  Hadn't watched this movie in a long time because it's so scary.  Not a favorite of mine, but a well made movie. 7/10.
-The Blob (1988):  It takes quite a lot to scare me nowadays and this terrifies me.  The blob has terrified me since I was a kid and "sticks" with me long after I've watched it.  Actually, as scary as this movie is, the original 1958 one scares me even more (except for the hospital segment in the 1988 version). With how much this rewatch scared me I won't attempt to rewatch the 1958 version.
-The Thing (1982):  Still great.  Those who have seen it need no explanation why.  8/10.
-The Conjuring (2013):  Some good scares 8/10.
-The Shining:  Needs no explanation 8/10.
-Poltergeist (1982):  One of my favorites of all time 10/10.
-A Nightmare on Elm Street:  An old fave.  8/10.
-Nightmare on Elm Street 3:  Almost as good as original. 7/10.
-Nightmare on Elm Street 4:  A good continuation of part 3. 6/10.
-Night of the Demons (1988):  This movie really scared me when I saw it back when it first came out.  Still creepy and fun. 6/10.
-It Follows:  I didn't care for this when I first saw it, but it's grown on me and scared me more on the 2nd and 3rd viewings.  7/10.
-Halloween (1978):  One of my favorite movies of all time.  Gives me the feeling of the whole month of October. It's my ringtone too this month. You get the picture… 10/10.
-Halloween H2O:  Don't know why this movie is hated so much.  It's really the only Halloween sequel in the Michael Meyers storyline (other than part 2) that I really enjoyed.
-The Fly (1986):  Still good.  7/10.
-The Sixth Sense (1999):  I forgot how spectacular this movie is.  One of my favorite movies of all time.  10/10.
-The Thing (2011):   Again, not sure why this movie is so disliked.  Aside from the one scene in the helicopter, the CGI monster still looked realistic and scared me actually more than the 1982 version. 7/10.
-Harbinger Down: Kind of a ripoff of The Thing, but still pretty good. 6/10.

Edit: New added rewatches:

-Evil Dead (1981): 5/10.
-Alien (1979): One of my favorites of all time 10/10.
-The Grudge (2004): Great 8/10.
-Return of the Living Dead: One of the better zombie flicks. 6/10.
-Hereditary (2018): 4/10.
-Lake Mungo: Pretty good and creepy 6/10.

Feel free to add what you have watched.

Re: Horror movies I've watched so far this month.

Sublime:
Decent Twilight Zone-type movie. 6/10

The Tommyknockers:
Decent Stephen King adaptation. Somewhat resembles Phantoms, before the creature is revealed. 6/10

Leprechaun:
Really good, and I liked it much more than the first Chucky, for instance. 8/10

Halloween Kills (2019? or 2020?)

You are right. For some reason I thought they were going by the original release date of last year before they postponed it.

Dang, Panther, you sure have been busy! I can tell you're in the holiday spirit

If we take the time to see with the heart and not with the mind, we shall see that we are surrounded completely by angels ~ Carlos Santana

Yep always! LOL

I love Warm Bodies! A Zombie romance, and it's really sweet.

It actually was a little better than I thought it was going to be.

Don't take any interest Nzer in what she says, Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer were great in it. I liked the plane part where she takes of her clothes, and he's trying not to check her out but its Teresa. So he's forgiven, hard not to look at her body

Solid rewatch list. I have never watched Rosemary's baby. I might have to give that a try this year.

That's a great movie. Definitely worth a watch!

Halloween Kills came out this month

I’m looking forward to watching it but my expectations are low. Can’t be as bad as Rob Zombie’s take on the series.

I wish that Netflix would stop producing trash horror movies, and they all seem to take themselves so seriously!

Smear some shit in a piece of paper, give it to them, say it’s a horror movie and they’ll definitely produce it.

Last Netflix one I watched was “There’s Someone inside your House”.
It was a 4/10 piece of shit that felt like it was written by a 15 year old girl.

- did my research while writing this post, it was based on a novel written by a woman Don’t mean to sound sexist (as if I care), but sometimes that shit is fucking obvious.

Yep as I mentioned above I do know that Halloween kills just came out.
I was going by the original release date last year before the pandemic delayed it.

John carpenter's Halloween is for pussies!

We be getting stupid in your area
Causin' all kinds of hysteria
My beats is sick like malaria
But don't worry I'll take care of ya

It’s not, though.

Solid movie, 100%

“Was that the boogeyman?”

Zombie's eclipsed that carpenter garbage!

Not a chance, that shit is brain dead as fuck

He didn’t k ow how to explain that Micheal’s mean because people weren’t nice to him. Had to spend 52 minutes explaining it with exposition and the throw in a really stupid contrived rape scene as a cherry on top

“Let’s randomly rape this chick in Micheal’s cell while giving him shit”!!!

Dumb dumb dumb.

carpenter's was boring plain and simple! if not for PJ Sole's tits it wouldn't have even been rated R. part2 blew it out of the water

Part 2 was one of the better sequels but a bit generic in the way it plays out. Epic finale though. 4 was pretty cool as well.

Rob Zombie’s one was a rotten fuck stain. Every character was an annoying shit cunt and the writing was the worst ever.

nah…it was boss!

I can easily explain everything terrible about it. The only good things being a few of Micheal’s kills.

Speaking of which, just watched Halloween Kills. Mixed bag of a movie but it definitely had the goriest kills of any Halloween movie. I enjoyed it

Another good thing about it is how stupid it makes Rob Zombie’s “Halloween Lore” look

Another good thing about it is how stupid it makes Rob Zombie’s “Halloween Lore” look
I will go then to see it. I hated the last Halloween reboot, but will persevere with this new one.

Zombie's Halloween was a misfire on all cylinders, yet I loved his sequel to it, which I think I may have previously mentioned. Can understand why others would hate it though.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

part2 blew it out of the water

Part 1 has some effective atmosphere and is spooky in parts, (the day scenes were filmed in beginning of spring though and it shows which takes a little something away), but 2 amped up the slasher vibe and still manages to be scary and is less laborious.

It was yooouu! You're the one that voted for the remake!!

I don't vote

That Fear Street limited series that combines ghost story, demonic possession, and slasher genre is pretty sick horror don't you think? Whenever I feel like one kill scene desensitized me, later on in the episode the killer(s) chop up the victim with an axe in the chest repeatedly. Blood splattering upwards. It's brutal.

The second one was pretty fun!

The third tried way too hard to be deep and serious with its cheesy teen melodrama bullshit, really didn’t like it. Can’t even remember the first movie.

The kills are always good though!

Even that shitty “there’s someone inside your house” movie had pretty good kills.

Rewatched The Babadook again. It's just a damned good movie, horror or not.

Mentally, I put it in a category with other disturbing movies I watched during that period. All are well-made.

Personal Shopper–Kristen Stewart
Under the Skin–The beach scene
The Witch–Black Phillip is GOAT
Simon Killer–My man
A Ghost Story–For the song alone

Once you know the twist in the Babadook, the movie is a let down. I have no idea why it has such a small cult of followers stemming from IMDb message boards. To my knowledge, the film wasn't a success in theaters.

I can't speak to its following but I find it exceptionally well done. It's smart, scary and the leads are compelling. I like the central metaphor and I believe the film deals with the subject matter creatively and convincely. It's a rare movie that has something to say. (I also think it nails the ending.)

Tastes vary, obviously, but I'd encourage you to rewatch the scene when they first read the book. The editing is masterly as the visions we get of the boogeyman are really the only ones we ever get and even then they slip from our sight before we know exactly what we're dealing with.

I'll be honest: I find it brilliant.

Oh yeah the book the mother wrote to scare her son! When I watched that scene, something about it made me not trust his mother. She seemed to have a dark side.

I think the message of the story was a morbid interpretation of motherhood. The bitch was insane and we find out why her child had behavioral problems. It was her pretending to become a monster and terrorizing her own child.

I wasn't a huge fan of The Babadook and didn't really find it that scary. I hated The Witch. A Ghost Story was pretty interesting, but sad. I haven't seen the other ones.

I'll try to sell you on the other three:

1. Under the Skin–the best of the group, a true masterpiece. Uniquely strange and a memorable experience. The ultimate compliment is it gets better upon rewatching.

2. Personal Shopper–a great lead performance centers this eerie ghost story. Bring your reading glasses because there's a lot of onscreen texting. I think the film works and I love the ending.

3. Simon Killer–what does misogyny look like? Is he a normal guy? Would you spot him walking down the street. Set in Paris, this way offbeat slice of awkward life is hard to watch but harder to look away from! See what I did there?

I'll maybe give those a go. Thanks!

I find The Babadook totally enthralling. It's the kind of horror that I really appreciate.
Aussies do great psychological horror as well as slasher. Have you seen Lake Mungo? It's awesome.

have not. will look for it.

Yeah, great, great movie.

"The Dig"
http://cinemarchaeologist.blogspot.com/

Aussies do great psychological horror as well as slasher.
I wouldn't regard it as a horror film as such, but I re-watched Peter Weir's Picnic At Hanging Rock - '75 last night and that sure is enigmatic, beautiful and poetic, yet manages to also get an eerie vibe down pat.

A masterpiece of imagery, shot composition and visual story-telling.

The ambiguity is what makes it so effective and doesn't need explanations.

I have that movie on DVD. It's wonderful! Peter weir is one of my favourite directors. Have you seen The Last Wave? David Gulpilil is incredible in it. This movie is also full of
imagery, shot composition and even visual story-telling.
It's one of my most treasured DVDs.

I need to see The Last Wave.

Thanks for the plug.

With the exception of Gallipoli - '81 and Green Card - '90 which I adore, I wasn't too enthralled with much of Weirs output in the 80's.

I thought Witness - '85 was unexciting and flat and Dead Poets Society - '89 was too cliched and even corny in parts.

except the end ruined it bc the end of the babadook you find out it's not real that's a cop out.

lukejbarnett

I watch horror movies year round, so I don't specifically watch horror in October. If It happens, it's incidental.

….out of darkness, out of mind, cast down into the Halls of the Blind!

I watch them year-round too, but I go all out in October.

I stopped keeping track. I've watched several horror movies and series. Most recently I watched Fear Street.

I watched Phantasm. It's kind of a scam. There are several references to Dune for some reason.

contagion apparently is the most accurate, eerily similar and prophetic horror movie about the corona virus pandemic that has ever been made have you watched it?

lukejbarnett

I have seen Contagion, but since this pandemic I've been avoiding any rewatches of movies involving contagious viruses like that or Outbreak.

Well there was the Spanish Flu a long time ago. It was a pandemic I think.

Dayum, girl! You been watchin' horror movies 24/7?

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 😠 Let's go, Brandon! 😎 Slava Ukraini! 😋 Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Yep I went overboard with 2-3 a day at the beginning lol.