James Spader : Head tilt, mouth twitch and line reading

Head tilt, mouth twitch and line reading

You could say it's not much acting. Head tilt, mouth twitch, reading the lines from his memory teleprompter. And yet -- you cannot get enough of him. He's so incredibly charismatic.

James Spader is one of the few American actors who act in the classic theatrical way. No method, no attempt of any realism. Yet in his case, it works superbly, because of his great feeling for the spoken language -- the speed, rhythm and diction.

The way he delivers text is very musical. Spader is like a virtuoso pianist of the word. He does not deliver a huge range because he's not a rock band or a symphonic orchestra. He doesn't do everything, but what he does do, he does it incredibly well.

Re: Head tilt, mouth twitch and line reading

Couldn't have said it better. Binge watched Blacklist recently & love(d) his character, which is mainly formulated on his phrasing style & diction which is quite pleasant to hear.
Always enjoyed his characters

Agreed. Very compelling to watch no matter what hes doing. Even Ultron had the head tilt in Avengers.

Sorry Brother.

Yes, yes, YES! I was thrilled to see some of Spader's characteristics animated into Ultron. I remember seeing the previews for it, not knowing yet that he was in it but knowing full well that it was is voice singing the song from Pinocchio slowly. It was haunting and creepy and beautiful and was one of the only things that stuck with me from the entire movie that I saw, which I can't even remember now what it was.

I loved Ultron singing that song from Pinocchio. It was brilliant.

If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now.-Loki (Marvel's Avengers)

I am currently rewatching season 1 of the Blacklist and noticed Lizzy did his mouth twitch thing. Not sure if it was intentional though. It was when Red "gifted" her Tom in the Pavlovich Brothers episode and she was grilling him. It was like she had taken on Red's persona. Very clever if it was intentional. I adore Spader, he's fast becoming my favourite actor. I've never seen a tv character so well-played and I watch a lot of series!

Check out Boston Legal. He was brilliant in that too. I disagreed with his politics, and still loved every word that came out of his mouth! He's a genius.

He is indeed a brilliant actor! Always hooked when he is on !

Great comment!!

I don't know why he wasn't nominated for an Emmy for Best Actor in ANY Category!

Agreed. It's really a shame the way he hasn't been recognized for his portrayal of Raymond Reddington. He nails it every time.

No! Exactly why I hated him in the '80s films he was in. That pursed lip, self-important, snide face of his! Zero charisma compared to his co-stars. That's why he never had a lead role in a major film (any film?). Haven't seen him since, but just saw an advert for Blacklist and he still had his mouth pursed! Grrr!

Totally disagree, he always had boatloads of charisma. He just liked playing the character parts, he liked being the bad guy...because as he has said, "the sh*t flies when the bad guy is around, that's what makes it fun." You hated him because of the characters he portrayed, he was great at bringing them to life because we were supposed to hate them. He did his job, and did it well. He has done numerous roles over the years where he played the good guy or at most a conflicted character. I suggest you watch a few, and perhaps you will change your mind, and realize the man is a terrific actor. Watch films like "sex, lies, and videotape"; True Colors; Bad Influence; Stargate; or if you don't mind a little BDSM in your films...Secretary.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, strangely, I NEVER liked him and have avoided a LOT of movies/shows just because he's in them.

I was forced to watch a few episodes of "Blacklist" at a friend's house one evening and instantly needed to binge watch it on Netflix when I returned home.

I don't know if I'll go back to visit things I've bypassed due to my earlier prejudice but I just might and can't recall anybody, off top, that has caused such a complete turnaround for me relative to their watch-ability.

-----
"Can we all just parachute down from Cloud Coo-coo Land?" Jimmy-Better Call Saul

Do take a look at Boston Legal and the eighth season of The Practice if nothing else. He has been in a lot of less than stellar movies, but he is always stellar in them. That being said, he has also been in films I really really like.

Will do. Thanks for the recommendations.

-----
"Can we all just parachute down from Cloud Coo-coo Land?" Jimmy-Better Call Saul

My favorite Spader films are "sex, lies, and videotape"; Secretary (a little risqué); White Palace; Bad Influence; Stargate; The Stickup; True Colors; and Lincoln. There are others I like a lot, but these are my favorites.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Bitch, bitch, bitch

The jurors will want to dig him up and kill him again

He is extremely talented. I can't get enough of him. His acting is so intense and dedicated. I Love this man! He seems to only get better as he ages. <3