Laverne & Shirley : Hair and clothes were never accurate

Hair and clothes were never accurate

So many people on this show had obvious 70s hair and the makeup etc was way off kilter. Too bad they didn't have better hair and wardrobe people at Paramount in the 70s. Happy Days was just as bad style wise.

Re: Hair and clothes were never accurate

In rewatching the episodes now, I've noticed the peculiar transition.

A guy who Shirley thought was Mr. Right also hit on Laverne as well as a beautiful blonde woman, and both the guy and the blonde looked like they walked over from Three's Company.

I then noticed in a Pizza Bowl shot how background characters, who early on consisted of a sailor and definite '50s skirts, was now popularized by '70s fashions, which of course took over Happy Days as well.

Penny Marshall's hairdo changed and no longer had the '50s look, which was perhaps the biggest change.

Obviously Lenny and Squiggy held on to the fifties look and maintained it the best.

one thing I appreciate (mostly in the early seasons) was that they didnt have a lot of money and they dressed like it. They even borrow clothes from eachother for special occasions and in episodes where they need something like formal wear they have a hard time getting it (I know in one ep Lenny & Squiggy borrrow dresses from a wax museum so the girls can go to a fancy party). I watch early episodes and think "man, Shirleys clothes are dumpy"...but that was the point. they were young , single girls struggling to make ends meet.

Now in later episodes they suffer the same fate HAPPY DAYS did. They start looking to 'modern'. Its like these shows drop the ball on the fact they take place in a certain era

Visit My Website:
LIVING IN THE PAST
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6spdi/index.html

I think Happy Days was even worse...so many of the guest actresses had OBVIOUS 70's hairstyles and makeup. They had a girl with feathered 70's hair and put a hoop skirt on her and thought they were accurate. It was silly

Happy Days *really* went round the bend on 80's styles when they showed a guy wearing a half-shirt (popular in the 80's, but probably wouldn't have flown at a high school in the 1960s).

You can even see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDKC_reGEBw

At that point, they weren't even trying anymore.

I especially notice this in the early episodes when there is a young male character. In the '50s, every man had short hair except for beatniks. I mean, short, as in, they thought the Beatles' little bowl cuts were outrageously long. There were a lot of flat tops too. However, the young men who show up on "Laverne and Shirley" always have long, '70s hair with sideburns and then they just plaster it back to try to make them look like they belong in the '50s but it just comes off like someone in 1977 going to a Halloween party as a '50s guy.

That always bugged me. I don't know about you, but I would certainly cut my hair shorter if it meant being on the number one show on TV!

Not to go too far OT, but another show that was terrible for this was "The Waltons". In the earlier years they were pretty true to the era, but in the later WWII era episodes, Mary Ellen and Erin always looked from the neck up like they just stepped out of a contemporary sitcom; feathered hair, early '80s makeup, even the clothes by then were borderline modern. In reality, the early '40s would have found them in Andrews Sisters hairstyles and bright red lipstick. So fake!

The actors were in the 1970s-1980s and so was the audience. The show was to be a bit of fun and not a documentary of the 1950s-1960s.

I agree, to a point, but when Squig's sister showed up in an 80s style dress, during the last season, that was a bit much. They could have tried harder, I think.

I love the show, but not so thrilled with the move to California and after Shirley left, as others have stated, it got a bit silly.

I wish that they could of stayed true to 50s fashion

Maybe it was just because Happy Days at least started off trying to look like the 50's and then changed but for me Laverne & Shirley never struck me as being set in the 50's at all.

Although Squiggy and Lenny were the only 2 who came close but because of the rest of the cast dressing in 70's style clothes I just saw them as the 2 greasers who never changed their look.

Sometimes a movie or tv show plot is so stupid that only the stupid can understand it.

I just watched "The Festival" from season four, where Laverne, Shirley, and the gang all go to NYC for the Italian festival in Laverne's old neighborhood. It is so painfully obvious that all of the festival footage had been filmed fairly recently, and the people, with the exception of those in the show's cast, didn't remotely resemble anything from the late '50s/early '60s, it was mid-'70s all the way. To be fair, though, I suppose it would have been hard to find good footage of a festival from that era that was decent quality and not filmed in black and white.

True but at the same time this was a pretty big show, would it have been that hard to stage a street festival with people in period costume? I just think that they were never too bothered with the clothes.

Sometimes a movie or tv show plot is so stupid that only the stupid can understand it.

That's very true, I thought of that after I posted earlier. I mean, "Laverne and Shirley" was the number one show on TV during roughly that period. They could have, and should have, worked harder at it.

It's a real shame they didn't, I actually think in some ways it was better than Happy Days, but for all it mattered it was like the girls time traveled from the 50's into the 70's.