Schindler's List : Grade the Movie "SCHINDLER's LIST" ?

Grade the Movie "SCHINDLER's LIST" ?

From "A+" to "F", How would you yourself Grade the 1993 Movie "SCHINDLER's LIST" in every capacity, way, shape, manner, story, acting, directing, special effects, and form ?

Re: Grade the Movie "SCHINDLER's LIST" ?

A+++++

Best Movie of all-time? If Not, at least top 3.
A Perfect Film that despite all it's accolades it still deserves much more!

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

How is it a perfect film and what is the gauge for "best"?

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Well made for it's subject.

Best compared to the other bests.

Best is all subjective and I have personally seen better and even more enjoyable films on this subject matter.

Elem' Klimov's Come and See - '85, I feel is a harrowing and poetic masterwork.

There is also an excellent made for tv film called Playing For Time - '80 about the camps with Vanessa Redgrave.

I would also rather watch the tv film Escape From Sobibor - '87 with Rutger Hauer and Joanna Pacula. That one keeps me gripped.

And none of those films I mentioned do I find boring.

I havent seen those but none of those got also the accolades, recognition, or success.

Accolades as per Hollywood self-congratulatory pats on the back and recognition for film-makers who were successful but previously bypassed, means jack squat when its all an insider job of token gestures.

SL was made mainstream for those not familiar with other similar works and Spielberg had his name to back him up too.

I agree but it's still hard to make good films and be recognized on a small budget without any back ups.

I take it you dont like the film.

If you recommend it, I'd add your recommendations to my watchlist.

I have seen the film a few times in its entirety in the 90's, always looking for something that I can't really find that others laud over it.

With my own recollection and compares, especially Come and See, it wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, nor did it grab me emotionally.

I like Spielberg, yet I found in his late 80's early 90's works, there was a blandness creeping into them. I am more old school Spielberg.

I would rather watch Amistad over SL. I just get more out of it.

I never liked Amistad and have always found spielberg to be rather generic. He has prove that more so in later career. Yea he makes good movies, sometimes, like this or JP but a lot of time he just follows a sellout formula.

I struggle with Saving Private Ryan too, though I would choose to watch this over SL.

Spielberg also created much of the formula for blockbuster and emulated himself, but into the 90's he changed his style and later he made more serious dramatic works that weren't designed for formula film-making.

struggled?

yea, though I generally do enjoy him and do think he is highly artistic and a mega-Hollywood icon. I think he also cheapen it when he decided to sell out and starting making this as a formula for the audiences along with getting others to do the same. Many idiots would do anything to get his status and wouldnt mind copying him and he has aided them. This formula made him Treat idiots them like sheep. Which made me cheapen him. I've never really liked him and that he married kate and think he is slightly overrated but I do place him among the elites and one of the best ever.

I did enjoy that side of him like Catch and Spies. Are two of my Favorites and best films I've ever seen.

I find Ryan difficult to watch and it just doesn't grab me like it does for many.

Spielberg's gift is presenting things in ways that we may not have seen before, or has been done before.

I'm still not quite clear on what you mean by his formula that he sold out on? He in a sense helped usher in the era of certain kind of blockbuster and then re-invented his style which he deployed onto his dramas and many of these weren't the formula many were familiar with.

I've seen Catch a few times and I find it middling to good and Spies, watched once, been there done that.

but you've seen though?

I like it and think it's great, a true masterpiece. But it's not a film I like to watch.

yea, you gotta study him and his habits to get that a bit more but there is a brotherhood of Hollywood where they copy each other and follow the same successful formula that keeps on repeating the same and keeps selling and he's definitely a part of it. You gonna tell me that he hasnt done several films similar that were just meant to sell and they sold well?

Well I do enjoy them a lot though I found that catch though based on a true story is mostly fictional which pisses me off because it dupes the audience.

Spies is really good that I dont mind watching often. I had hope he made more like these and am surprised Spies isnt much bigger since it has those two big Giants.

I've seen all his cinema directed films except for The Terminal and Tin Tin.

He went with what worked and each film is different, except Indiana Jones, but they all had their own formula, based off the serial films and that was deliberate.

Mid '80's he went to drama with Purple and Empire which were both unique from his previous themed films and then changed his drama style again with SL. He was forever evolving.

Spielberg broke molds.

Jaws is even drama, but with adventure thriller attached to it.

are you a big fan of jaws?
and jp?

So I take it your a big fan of his?

Love all his 70’s stuff and most of the 80’s. Even some of his “…presents” ones were cool.

which makes me think why you arent a big fan of SL?

After the 80's, Spielberg was giving us what he would likely refer to as more mature offerings.

I can appreciate many different films, and I appreciate SL as a cinematic achievement, I just don't really like it compared to other similar themed films and other Spielberg films from all decades.

I thought Lincoln was quite sublime.

Havent seen Lincoln. I just cant get over Daniel playing an Iconic American and the film having a modern cheap quality.

…and the film having a modern cheap quality.
I'm not sure what you mean by this???

Looks more like an HD modern feel type of film which I dont usually like than a true vhs film of that era. It takes away from the feeel of the era.

It doesn't look like that at all and Spielberg didn't shoot films on VHS.

Its quite dark and authentic with natural lighting utilized in many scenes and he makes the atmosphere look like its very cold in parts. The costumes are exquisite and authentic looking and the production design won the Oscar that year.

I'm not a Day Lewis fan, but I really didn't mind him here. He is his character and Tommy Lee Jones is a standout and I really wanted him to win a second Oscar.

Check out these screenshots from Blu-Ray.com

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Lincoln-Blu-ray/57078/#Screenshots

yea, it looks fake as fk, just like how I remember it and DDL looks like a poser and TMJ looks old and trying to hard and Im actually a big fan of Lee. This film looks like it should've been directed by Stone who, strangely, I actually have ranked higher.

Sometimes I think people say SL is an excellent film because if they say otherwise, they think it will make them look bad. 🤔

Virtue signalling and I have just expressed similar in another post to you on this thread.

Some peeps just have no integrity.

"Sutherland Express" is excitingly good.

Yes it was!

I am making more a comparison with SL where Spielberg changed his style and the other dramas he made that came after it.

Thing is, I preferred his dramas that came before, like Sugarland, Color Purple and Empire Of The Sun.

I have yet to see "Empire of the Sun". If I recall, Danny Peary gave it his Alternate Oscar for Best Picture.

Yes, he did and it would perhaps be my choice too.

He also gave Knight his Alternate Oscar for The Rain People.

That's right!

Okay, that was phrased rather awkwardly.

Nevertheless, "Playing for Time" is an excellent movie made for tv and it practically swept the Emmy Awards that year.

Outstanding Drama
Outstanding Writing - Arthur Miller
Outstanding Lead Actress - Vanessa Redgrave
Outstanding Supporting Actress - Jane Alexander

And deservedly so! Shirley Knight is both frightening and pitiful as one of the Nazi camp commandants.

Yes, I thought Knight was even better than Alexander, whom I've never warmed up to.

Didn't the Shirley Knight character sort of fall in love with one of the little Jewish boys?

Also to me, this is Vanessa Redgrave's best performance.

I was going to say to you about Redgrave, that I think this is the best I have seen her.

Yes, Knight took nurture ship over a little Jewish kid that ended up in tragedy. I have always liked Knight. Alexander seems too rigid to me, although I'm not undermining her talent.

Knight had a nice face. Have you seen The Rain People?

PFT is a searing portrait of survival in a disgusting time and also utterly compelling.

I just watched "The Rain People" a few months ago. It was very good, though depressing.

I love Shirley Knight's face. She looks like she would be such a kind person.

Jane Alexander seems so colorless to me.

A+

Schindler was an angel on earth. A+

C+ for intentions.

Not one of Spielberg's better efforts. It was drab and the depressing theme was rendered bland, heavy handed and boring to boot.

🤣🤣 Finds genocide boring.

The only poster who had his account banned 4 times without ever breaking any rules each of those times.

Stop being a toxic dick!

You know you wuv me. 💓

The only poster who had his account banned 4 times without ever breaking any rules each of those times.

Really!

Is that your ego riding you….

Do you really believe what you just wrote?

As long as you are Gameboy and Toasted Cheese is Ethel.

And Gameboy is Platonic Caveman and Toasted Cheese is Rascal and I am I Love Hutch who is also Dirty Pillows, who for a very short period of time was known as Avocado Joe, which I still kind of like.

All the subterfuge of using socks around here all seems very complicated and confusing and unnecessary.

It honestly gives me a migraine.

All of this.

I gave it a "C-"

I was going to just make it a plain C, yet the film does have some virtue riding on it so I felt like I needed to give it a + to go along with it.

I just think people feel they have to like on it for some reason, because of what it is about. Many appear to get suckered in by hype surrounding it and then get all triggered when you tell them one doesn't really like it as a whole.

You don't appear to ever have been ensnared in much of that Mr. H, and I myself used to be a hypermonger too.

Jaws was hyped, but that one does have a reverential quality coursing through its gills and is still great to watch to this day.

Yes, "Jaws" was an exception.

Maltin said it was the "rare case of a bubblegum movie scoring as a terrific film".