Directors : Fine I will the entire thing about female directors alone

Fine I will the entire thing about female directors alone

It's not the voters fault anyway. It never was. I never thought it was the voter's fault.

I'll never be a director anyway so I should not even said anything. I just wanted to encourage more diversity in film and sometimes it's hard because I feel like I have to fit into the with the general opinion. I'm tired of being bashed for it, so I will keep my mouth shut.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Re: Fine I will the entire thing about femalr directors alone

You're wrong. People do care about this issue of more diversity in Hollywood. Imagine how much more profits could be made if Hollywood had more female directors. These things take practice though. They are probably not going to make a perfect mainstream full feature production the first time around. But if they hone their talent, it gets better and leads to better films and more candidates for which award voters get to choose from, and also more women would want to support these female directors by going to see their films in groups.

Within that context, I'm talking about "Girl's night Out" at the movies or movie night for the girls to bond with each other. This is not even a radical idea in my opinion, not even an extreme point of view. It is a necessity.

A female director would more likely make films that relate to the female population rather than making films from the male point of view for women.

I hate to mention a higher power, but I think God wanted it that way otherwise it wouldn't happen that way. Why is it the the directors of The Matrix series both had sex changes? I don't think they did it to be cool. I think perhaps their sex change was meant to happen that way to make way for more women directors in the future..

Also, I think it would be a disservice for a successful male director to tell his daughter who admires him and wants to be like her dad, that she cannot pursue a career as a director. I'm not judging if he does, I'm just saying that there's nothing inherently wrong with women aspiring to become female directors. It should be encouraged. The world will still carry on either way.

A female director would more likely make films that relate to the female population rather than making films from the male point of view for women.

Yet if a man did that, he would be called a sexist twat.

I don't see it. How's that? I never really felt that way.

👍👍👍

Really appreciate your thoughtful and eloquent comments, Alpha. And I just wanted to add some historical context to them, if you don't mind.

One of the very first and most prolific directors in the world was Alice Guy-Blache, who wrote, produced, acted in, and directed around a thousand films from 1895 to 1920. After her came the nearly equally prolific Lois Webber, who wrote, produced, acted in, and directed about 400 films from 1911 to 1934.

Other female directors in the silent era included Mabel Normand, Lillian Gish, Mary Pickford, and Dorothy Arzner in Hollywood; Anna Hofman-Uddgren in Sweden; Elvira Notari, Italy’s first and most prolific female filmmaker; Tressie Souders, the first African-American female director in recorded history, who worked outside of Hollywood but sadly had a brief career; Germaine Dulac, a French pioneering surrealist filmmaker who paved the way for French neorealism; Fatma Begum, India’s first female director, and a pioneer of special effects and the fantasy genre.

But back to Hollywood now: It's commonly acknowledged that once men realized there was money to be made in the new medium of narrative films, female directors were relegated to behind the camera roles, writing, editing, etc. 'Twas a pity, indeed, because the impact of the contributions to the development of the art form by those early women directors was enormous and profoundly consequential.

I'm reading what I wrote months ago and barely recognize myself. I was so full of hope and enthusiasm for the future of my gender as directors in Hollywood. Wasn't I?

👍👍👍

Really appreciate your thoughtful and eloquent comments, Alpha. And I just wanted to add some historical context to them, if you don't mind.

One of the very first and most prolific directors in the world was Alice Guy-Blache, who wrote, produced, acted in, and directed around a thousand films from 1895 to 1920. After her came the nearly equally prolific Lois Webber, who wrote, produced, acted in, and directed about 400 films from 1911 to 1934.

Other female directors in the silent era included Mabel Normand, Lillian Gish, Mary Pickford, and Dorothy Arzner in Hollywood; Anna Hofman-Uddgren in Sweden; Elvira Notari, Italy’s first and most prolific female filmmaker; Tressie Souders, the first African-American female director in recorded history, who worked outside of Hollywood but sadly had a brief career; Germaine Dulac, a French pioneering surrealist filmmaker who paved the way for French neorealism; Fatma Begum, India’s first female director, and a pioneer of special effects and the fantasy genre.

But back to Hollywood now: It's commonly acknowledged that once men realized there was money to be made in the new medium of narrative films, female directors were relegated to behind the camera roles, writing, editing, etc. 'Twas a pity, indeed, because the impact of the contributions to the development of the art form by those early women directors was enormous and profoundly consequential.

https://youtu.be/iPUwtyZglQI

https://youtu.be/QRTNm6GLJYI

Alpha, is that you?

If it is, good to see you again. I just returned to this board after a long absence and decided to take a peek at this site, given my history in directing. I'm sorry I never read your post above before. It's so beautiful, eloquent, and wise.

Never give up hope, my friend. The times they are a changing, bit by bit. More women are directing in Hollywood than ever before, though admittedly they are still a long way from having parity with men. But it's an improvement, and I think it will get better and better as time goes on (this is especially true in television these days).

In the end, directing is not man's work or woman's work; rather it's an artist's work. And that work, in my opinion and the opinion of so many other directors I know, is gender free. I think more and more people are starting to realize that, and in the end it will set everyone free.

(Let's not forget that George Cukor made some great "women's" films, while Katherine Bigelow has made a couple of great war films. All in a days work, depending upon what the needs of the script are and where your artistic leanings lie.)

Alpha, is that you?

Yes, it's me. This is my other account. It's good to see you again as well. I hope you're doing well during these tumultuous time in history due to the pandemic and civil unrest due to George Floyd's murder.

I think we last chatted on here right before The Academy Award 2019 aired. We were discussing the movie Judy and Rene Zellwegger's performance. I predicted that Rene would win Best Actress Oscar. She did win. It was one of the few Oscare predictions that I got right for that Oscar season!

If it is, good to see you again. I just returned to this board after a long absence and decided to take a peek at this site, given my history in directing. I'm sorry I never read your post above before. It's so beautiful, eloquent, and wise.

Never give up hope, my friend. The times they are a changing, bit by bit. More women are directing in Hollywood than ever before, though admittedly they are still a long way from having parity with men. But it's an improvement, and I think it will get better and better as time goes on (this is especially true in television these days).

In the end, directing is not man's work or woman's work; rather it's an artist's work. And that work, in my opinion and the opinion of so many other directors I know, is gender free. I think more and more people are starting to realize that, and the end it will set everyone free.

(Let's not forget that George Cukor made some great "women's" films, while Katherine Bigelow has made a couple of great war films. All in a days work, depending upon what the needs of the script are and where your artistic leanings lie.)

Thank you for the history lesson, and your encouragement.

Alpha, is that you?

So good to know it's you! And I'm doing okay, better than so many, so I can't complain. Hope you're taking care and staying safe out there. It's a dystopian time, for sure.

And, yes, good for Rene!! I was thrilled that she won for her stellar performance as the incomparable Ms. Garland.

And thanks for your most kind response. I hope to see you around here now that I'm posting again. It may be intermittent, given some eye issues, but I plan to prevail. So please bear with me if I don't respond to a post right away.

Take care and hang in there!

Alpha, is that you?

No, problem!
By the way, with your knowledge and experience as a film director, I should be one of your students.

Alpha, is that you?

👍

People should be allowed to complain and criticise.

I agree.