Event Horizon : Event Horizon

Event Horizon

I forgot how messed up this movie is. I like how Sam Neill's accent changes once Hell gets ahold of him. Very much giving Hellraiser vibes as Sam is a version of Pinhead: "Where we are going, you don't need eyes to see!"

"Life is tough. Get a helmet." – Candace Owens
"Not today, Satan!" – Blaire White
#IStandWithJKRowling

Re: Event Horizon

the ship is a lament configuration

also the fact that there’s a directors cut with extra footage from the hell dimension that is forever lost to time bc the only reels were destroyed in a salt mine is both interesting and sad

Yes, it is! Good eye. Great visual of the liminal space.

I just learned about the director's cut. They excised over 30 minutes of the hell dimension due to it being too gruesome. I would love to see what that entailed.

#IStandWithJKRowling

Some relate this movie to War Hammer 40k

Dirka dirka

Great catch. After watching this film again, I couldn't help but feel this film does have some connections to Hellraiser in terms of hell or some sort of chaos dimension.

As I mentioned in my reply below, when I read about storing those unused reels in a salt mine, I thought they could've stored anywhere else better than in a salt mine where they can be preserved better but…. Some people just haven't thought everything through, such as taking precautions.

If I get pulled over, it better be a gay policeman riding on a unicorn.

That movie is overrated.

Not as overrated as watching you get dragged to a hell dimension as you scream and try so hard to cling to your life pointlessly. To be honest, it'd be nice if you can switch your place with Laurence Fishburne and everyone gets a happy ending.

What was a phrase in that movie….? Oh, yes. "You know nothing. Hell is only a word. Reality is much much worse".

Hey! Have you broken your bed lately?

Hey, there. Well, you haven't ridden on top of me recently so no. No broken bed since our last passionate encounter.

Oh my! 😂

Yes, I found it to be a disappointment.

Still one of the best and I never get tired of it.

I know it has a low score, but it seems to have amassed a cult following.

When you strip it to the bones, this is truly a wicked horror movie. I think people expecting pure sci-fi would be disappointed, but venturing into Hell (and beyond) was mastered very well.

#IStandWithJKRowling

Quoting from Field of Dreams - "Heaven is where your dreams come true".
I suppose Hell is where your nightmares come true.

Bet you havent seen the unreleased, uncut version.

Without strife, your victory has no meaning.
Without strife, you do not advance.
Without strife, there is only stagnation.

I wish they would release a directors cut. One of my favorite horror movies.

“Hera, grant me your fury, so I can remind my enemies I am not the weakness they perceive, I am the oncoming storm, I am war.”

I wish they would as well. This movie certainly has a greater depth to it than just the visuals. I'm going to watch it again!

#IStandWithJKRowling

Typical plot about an evil scientist, how deep space and black holes are evil.

Event Horizon came out in '90s, and the intro reads as follows:

2015: First permanent colony established on moon.

2032: Commercial mining begins on Mars.

2040: Deep space research vessel 'Event Horizon' launched to explore boundaries of solar system. She disappears without trace beyond the eighth planet, Neptune. It is the worst space disaster on record.

It reminds me of 1984 in some regards. It's always interesting to see or read just where people thought we would be at a certain point in time. Comparing those presumptions with reality when those dates come and go is fascinating, especially given how it was assumed how advanced we would become.

#IStandWithJKRowling

It’s weird when you have lived past those years depicted in movies. In some ways we haven’t advanced but in others like tech we have grown by leaps and bounds.

“Hera, grant me your fury, so I can remind my enemies I am not the weakness they perceive, I am the oncoming storm, I am war.”

It's like watching old movies that assumed by the year 2000 we'd all have flying cars.

The biggest movie I can think of that most closely resembles the way in which we are headed would be Demolition Man. Things like "no contact" greetings, being "fined" for saying words or phrases that are offensive, no meat, every restaurant is really just a reincarnation of a single chain (in this case, every restaurant is Taco Bell), anything deemed "bad" for you is made illegal (like salt), and meetings are not in person but all via Zoom calls with a bunch of talking heads on computer screens talking to each other.

It's really quite spooky!

#IStandWithJKRowling

Oooooo good call and scary how accurate

I wonder if we'll still be around in the year 2525..

OMG, I loooooove that song!

But even in that song, they're coming to the same conclusion: we're all living in a matrix hooked up to machines. Isn't that what we've become?

#IStandWithJKRowling

Yes, and things are getting worse, exponentially.

Same here. I'd love to see the additional 30 minutes of unused footages but sadly, apparently, it won't happen according to this excerpt from this article:

Sadly, he probably won't get the chance to release a director's cut, since the film came out prior to the rise in special edition DVDs. The unused footage was packaged off to a Transylvanian salt mine for storage, so when he came looking for the footage it was in such poor shape it was no longer usable

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/exploring-the-deleted-footage-from-event-horizon/#:~:text=Sadly%2C%20he%20probably%20won't,it%20was%20no%20longer%20usable.

I'm still holding on a glimmer of hope they'll find a way and they could've store them somewhere else that they can be preserved better than in a salt mine.

The "Hell" scene, although brief, was pretty graphic! Like a giant orgy of sex, rape, BDSM and cannibalism all rolled into one. Considering it was the second unit doing primarily what would amount to pick-up shots, they spent two entire days working on that.

They put so much work and effort into that scene, only to have Paramount flip their wigs due to the gore and violence. All we as the audience get to see are a frame or two of various shots within all of that work. They cut so much out!

I read the same thing, that because this was all before everything went digital, there wasn't really any understanding about keeping any of the extra footage, and as you pointed out, what was saved, was stored in salt mines in Transylvania. That should have provided a nice, cool and dry storage space, but unfortunately, the reels were damaged beyond repair.

There are some thoughts that out there in the great big wide world, that someone may have a VHS copy of at least some of what was cut.

I watched an interview with one of the actors in the "Hell" scene. She made a great point that her thoughts were that the ship went so far back in time, it was before God even existed, so the crew reverted to the most base and basic animalistic impulses, totally out of control as they killed themselves and killed each other.

It must be devastating to have put so much work into filming this, only to have nothing but snippets shown.

#IStandWithJKRowling

I watched an interview with one of the actors in the "Hell" scene. She made a great point that her thoughts were that the ship went so far back in time, it was before God even existed, so the crew reverted to the most base and basic animalistic impulses, totally out of control as they killed themselves and killed each other.
While the ship is not a time machine, it certainly opened a hole to a universe that predates the big bang and god/Satan as the script says. The evil universe is even shown in the visions of hell lost deleted scenes. Consisting of red dying suns illuminating black planets.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

I'm viewing this as the black hole brought them through a time, as you said, that predates the "Big Bang", before any creation. The words I used to describe the hellish experiences were her adjectives as she perceived the directions given to her, and they made sense. It appeared as simply unbridled evil, presented as animalistic barbarism.

#IStandWithJKRowling

Would a spaceship have lateral thrusters? As the L&C scans the Event Horizon, I noticed they're moving laterally, including when they dock.

It's incredible how much this could be a crossover into the Hellraiser universe. The very nature of how the ship comes alive and caters what's observed to each person's individual fears is textbook.

The visuals are so stunning, combining Gothic architecture with the occult and pure sci-fi. It's so well done how they pulled from other inspirations (even though some are denied).

It's pretty cool that they did so much of this with practical effects.

I also notice Dante's nine circles of Hell.

The question remains: was this all a hallucination?

#IStandWithJKRowling

A good film until its very strange ending.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

You didn't care for that? It was the best part!

#IStandWithJKRowling

Not so much.

😺 Schrodinger's Cat walks into a bar, and doesn't. 🤨 Let's go, Brandon! 🤨 Try that in a small town.

How about the "Hell" scene with all the BDSM bloody sex scene, eh? Eh? Eh?

C'mon, man. There's something in this little baby for everyone!

The first time I watched this, I didn't even like it, and very little stuck with me.

I eventually ended up watching it a few more times and with each subsequent viewing, I found myself enjoying it and my perception of what I think really happened changed. Plus, when you learn more about "the making of" and some of the backstory and changes, it's rather interesting.

#IStandWithJKRowling

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. And I don't remember that scene. Must not have impressed me.

And strawberry. Don't forget strawberry.

It's all good.

#IStandWithJKRowling

#IStandWithJKRowling

Good Movie!

I enjoyed the first half, although the second half became rather silly. Still, it’s an enjoyable popcorn movie

Gave it a try.
Was too gory and violent and just plain dumb.

"Please vote to preserve the unique character of Warren…" - Robert Duvall

Big fan of this film. It's kinda like something H.P. Lovecraft would have written if he was a huge sci-fi geek. The whole concept of a spaceship bringing something evil and destructive back from another realm has a definite Lovecraftian bent to it.

Happy Birthday, Motherfucker!

I really cant' find the Lovecraftian aspect to it. You're not the first that brought that in. I just don't get that. Hands down, however, it's very easy to see the Hellraiser influence. Even Dante's circles of Hell, they made so many references. A lot of attention to detail was provided if you have enough familiarity with other horror genres, movies, and writings.

#IStandWithJKRowling

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/trivia/
The script originally described the Gateway machine as a smooth and featureless black orb, 10 meters (nearly 33 feet) in diameter, suspended in midair between large, rotating mechanical arms. It also was said to contain a stable black hole within it at all times (which the ship used as a power source), as opposed to briefly creating a temporary one. Paul W.S. Anderson decided to redesign it to involve interlocking circles as a homage to the puzzle box in Hellraiser (1987), which served as an inspiration.

My password is password

I found the whole idea of a spaceship bringing back an evil force from another realm to be very Lovecraftian. Also, Dr. Weir's obsession with his dead wife Claire gave off some nice Edgar Allan Poe vibes.

Happy Birthday, Motherfucker!