I Need To Know : End of an Institution

End of an Institution

Another poster has referred to IMDb individual message boards as an Institution. I totally agree. It's the one place all film buffs go to to discuss what they have just seen or to meet with like-minded fans and yes, anti-fans. To think that it won't be there is breaking my heart.

Perhaps the mention of negativity is referring to the general forums. It's the individual forums that really matter, the ones at each and every film, TV show, director, and actor.

I don't see the negativity on the individual boards that have been talked about. Maybe a little. Maybe an occasional troll. But mostly it's all well-thought-out questions, answers, and opinions.

IMDb, please reconsider. Destroy the general boards if you must, but the individual boards are full of hundreds of thousands of posts that should not just go away. I may see a movie today and see a comment made on it from five years ago that answers my question or expands my understanding of a scene. At the very least, ARCHIVE what is there so we can at least use it as a resource!!

The thought of migrating to FB or Twitter is insane. Just imagine if the thousands of individual board posts were put to IMDb's FB or Twitter page. Oh my, what a mess that would be.

If it's revenue, I'd be willing to pay. I'd be willing to have irritating ads blare at me. But don't get rid of it! That's just crazy. IMDb has shot itself in the foot.

I just can't understand why any site would intentionally turn away thousands of loyal visitors.

----
"Don't make me kill you again."

Re: End of an Institution

I think you will find I posted thousands of times to hundreds of individual boards.

----

Oh, I see your point. But that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the message boards.

----

Trolls like you are partly the reason I'll be happy to see the boards gone =D

~ I'm a 21st century man and I don't wanna be here.

A troll doesn't add data & value to a database, like I do.

Well, now you have me convinced these boards going away is a good thing. You will have no one to brag to about all the hard work you do here for free. You'll have a profile full of little badges that no one will ever see, ha ha ha ha.

Contribute or not, that has *beep*-all to do with it. (look IMDB, you even have an effective chat filter thats better than most!)

Big Baby, you do know that the profiles stay ?

For someone who is constantly talking about others smarts and education, you aren't very astute. Did you not understand what I said about you having a profile full of silly badges? Yes, of course you'll still have your profile. What you keep failing to grasp is that no one will ever look at it when the boards come down. I would never have looked at it if I hadn't seen you touting your profile as a somehow worthwhile accomplishment. Sad for you. 2/19/17 is the last time anyone will ever know who naples-884-346409 was, lol.

Do you really think, that I contribute because I like to be admired by people like you ?

Admiration? Lol, no. Considering the amount of "contributions" you've accomplished in a mere 3 years, it's rather sad that you have nothing more fulfilling in your life. Whatever. If it keeps you occupied and off the streets, then more power to you I guess.

I got that. That you are differentiating betw. "contributor" and "contributor." And you believe that IMDb does as well. Sorry, but traffic is traffic -- it doesn't matter if you post or not post. That you go there is what matters. THAT is hard data.

----

Tim, that's simply not true.

You are mistaken about the numbers.

You don't understand the bigger picture, I think.

Read my other posts to get it.

I never mentioned any numbers, so cannot be mistaken about them. I do not like being talked down to by you or anybody else. I will certainly read no further posts by you, because you are patronizing and, frankly, I find you highly unpleasant. No point in replying as I'm going to ignore you as of now.

Regards, tim

Not sure why you want to argue. I said what I wanted to say and you felt the need to rip it apart. This is the very def of trolling. Now who is to blame for the boards being negative, you or I?

You think that adding info to the pages is contributing. I think reading and participating in discussion is contributing. Why go to the trouble of saying I don't understand? What do you care if I understand? fyi, trivia sections are not part of the message boards.

Also not quite sure why you think a 60-yr-old woman is a young boy.

----

Also not quite sure why you think a 60-yr-old woman is a young boy.

Love your sense of humour. Also, I'm with you regarding the closure of the boards. A lot of great information about individual films will become unaccessible and this is a real pity. For that I'd even be willing to put up with the rather numerous trolls on the site for another while.

IMDB is about using & contributing film data: That's the core.

Yes. But what good is that wealth of info to the average user when we can't discuss it?

The thing that makes IMDB so great is discussing all the amazing contributions and facts about movies. That's why it's always been my go to site and i think many others feel the same.

Edit: And so what if it's a negative experience to some? There are negative experiences throughout life. It doesn't mean you should just quit and ruin it for all the good people on this site. I know it's easy to look at certain boards and see the hate and trolls but the good outweighs the bad by a mile. You just have to look hard enough.

Adding: Hey, glad you contribute. Glad you are top reviewer or whatever. Seriously. I'm sure that took a lot of time.

But this is not what IMDb's issue is. This decision has nothing to do with non-message board pages like trivia, reviews, etc. It has nothing to do with "contributors." Their issue with the boards, apparently, is a) too much negativity and trolling (which requires staff time to deal with), and b) not enough traffic. All they are talking about is visits to the message board pages. They aren't even talking about posting. So "contributing" doesn't matter - all that matters is clicks.

Not sure what good it is going after poster after poster here and saying they are lowlife non-contributors. Not very helpful right now when we're all trying to convince IMDb to undo this awful decision. We're all trying to say how much we will miss something we use regularly and how much it means to us.

----

People come to IMDb to find things out about media, if they are interested in re-finding a film they once loved then it then the messages they receive mean more to them than the whole internet combined.

IMDb is a community of people, talking contributes Everything to a community, saying that a person who uses the boards isnt contribute anything misses the whole point.

Many of us check out the message boards for fun I doubt you can find anyone who checks the boards who has not tried a title suggested on these boards and found films that they would never have heard of otherwise.

"The boards only give IMDb a bad name", IMDb wouldn't have a "name" without its community, and pushing them away can only be a bad thing.

because I'm one of the top contributors (Top 150 this year)
Well, give yourself a pat on the back for that.

I always tried to use that data and put it in the Trivia or somewhere else.
Ah yes. Graze the boards for info you can submit to earn a shiny badge, then bash the board contributors for being lazy. Real nice.

I both chat on a few boards and contribute whenever I come across data or trivia that are missing and might be of interestl And while I can kind of understand that there are reasons for the boards closing, it saddens me very much. Also, all that information you and others add to the site is of no value whatever unless there are users, a large number of users, who look it up. Many of these users are the very people who chat on the boards. So maybe it's time to stop talking down to non (or less) contributing board users. Anybody who posts on the boards and does so in a polite and mannerly fashion deserves the same respect.

Personally, I will miss the boards for the individual films very much. Often they contain a lot of information that cannot be found elsewhere. The boards for actors and celebrities I can do without. There is a lot of very unpleasant celebrity bashing going on, which makes the site look very bad. Possibly this is part of the reason why the institution of the boards is coming to an end. Why should any self respecting actress or actor want to have a page on a site where she or he is subjected to trolls and haters posting vilifying comments and vague rumors about them, right under their own name?

The individual boards are priceless. I come out of a movie and head straight to that movie's board to see what others have to say. I am watching a tv show, and something big happens, I go straight to that individual board to see what people are saying. Most importantly, they are always saying something. I can think of very few boards where the messages pour in as fast as here.

The individual boards are priceless. I come out of a movie and head straight to that movie's board to see what others have to say. I am watching a tv show, and something big happens, I go straight to that individual board to see what people are saying. Most importantly, they are always saying something. I can think of very few boards where the messages pour in as fast as here.

I've been wanting to write the exact same thing for two days. I don't give a damn about the main message board, there are thousands of them on the Interweb... but the individual boards ? Only IMDb has that, to my knowledge. There's a website that does the same thing in my country, but it's not in English, and there's a thousand times less people, obviously. THIS is why I'm ready to boycott IMDb. I know it won't change a thing, but I don't care. Screw them. :)

_____
"We're not bad people... we just come from a bad place."
Sissy Sullivan, Shame.

Please IMDb ARCHIVE the boards.

End of line

very sad decision indeed, for thousands of people, this has been a useful tool... apparently, an open discussion is something unwanted by some, look at all the admin-deleted posts... welcome to the year 2017!... isn't Holywood asserting it's very liberal? but they deaden free speech when they encounter it... sad, this post will be deleted too, I won't be using imdb from now on anymore!

isn't Holywood asserting it's very liberal? but they deaden free speech when they encounter it

Being liberal means creating safe spaces where no one can get their feelings hurt. The world is being populated by crybabies that have zero understanding of how to react to adversity other than outrage and indignation. Fine times we live in.

Thats because you only check mainstream movies. Every movie board reflects its viewers. Go check art movies, classic movies, world cinema etc etc People have good conversations there. The list of troll-less message boards is endless. But if you only check hollywood movies, mainstream movies... well there you can find all sorts of idiotic "comments", but all you have to do is skip them.

This decision is actually one of the worst decisions ever taken by an internet company. No financially of course. But in making the world a little worse.

so right, the closing down is sad, stupid and unnecessary, saves some ceo a few bucks I guess and muffles Holywood-criticism

ugh. ..

people like you make the world a worse place

people like you make the world a worse place

I'm thinking it's people like him that is causing the boards to come down in the first place. I'd be willing to gamble he has a handful of accounts used for trolling in order to prove the point that the boards should go away.

I agree.

attacking people who want the boards to remain open.

what a sad individual

I agree with you. It has been almost a ritual for me coming to the individual board after finishing watching a movie and going through the discussion. I have been doing that since I was a teenager (I had a different account back then).

There will never be another forum like imdB, because it has a message board for every actor, every director, every movie there was ever listed. Such a shame they are ending it.

the announcement has angered me, there's no alternative to IMDb boards.
I'll be deleting my account if this move transpires.
disgraceful.

we're desperate! we're ludicrous! we're pathetic!

I agree. It's very bad news. This has been my main source of information (pro and con) on films and TV series for many years. I don't do Twitter and other such sites, so won't be able to get the info. I need, which will probably make me lose interest in film media even more. Not very good for the film industry, I think.

I don't see the negativity on the individual boards that have been talked about. Maybe a little. Maybe an occasional troll. But mostly it's all well-thought-out questions, answers, and opinions.
A vast majority of IMDb users aren't even aware of the message boards, and the majority of the ones who are aware don't use them often. They'll visit a movie board to ask a question that ultimately goes unanswered. Sadly there was no mechanism for regular users to globally monitor the title boards. As for the active boards, most of their users regularly (but perhaps not mostly) complain about each other (as in, through the abuse report function, with lots of frivolous and invalid reports). There is a sharp divide between people who want rules against criticism/negativity and people who are vehemently opposed to censorship, but that's often a problem common in all social media.

See /board/bd0000042/view/265706940?d=265758475#265758475.

A vast majority of IMDb users aren't even aware of the message boards

So the vast majority of IMDb users don't read to the bottom of the page?
Yeah, they sound like the site visitors that IMDb should be catering to.

So the vast majority of IMDb users don't read to the bottom of the page?
Yeah, they sound like the site visitors that IMDb should be catering to.
It's not so much that they're being catered to, but that the board regulars are being written off as irrelevant. Apparently we don't matter.

IMDB is fantastic. I don't care about trolls. Trolls exist in real life as well(jerks) but that doesn't mean i stop living.

Bingo, bro.

The flat-brimmed baseball cap is the modern-day dunce cap.

@dt123 -- totally agree. I was horrified to read the announcement 3 Feb. The threads are invaluable.

Are you even listening IMDB???

Agreed. Its the individual boards that matter, IMO, especially for more obscure or older shows and films. There are currently lots of places to discuss Game of Thrones. Not so many to discuss Batman 1966. Far, far less to discuss Jeremiah. Nowhere else to discuss something like Black Scorpion or The Untouchables (both tv shows).

General film sites might be okay to discuss how much Ghostbusters 2016 sucks or how amazing Bladerunner is, but how many can you go to and find fellow fans of Airheads, Lifepod or Wild Palms?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3tnAMjMhg

I'm really sad about it. I've been using these message boards for almost 13 years. It seems so callously disinterested of IMDB to end an era with nothing more than a blurb notice. A notice that sporadic visitors may not see in time, to boot!

It was bad enough when they started emptying out messageboards according to subjective whim ("if we think it's too old/full/slow or it's Tuesday and we feel like it") and eradicated interesting and invaluable snapshots of cinema history, like the LOTR boards. Now everything will be gone. I perish the thought of just how much user content is being flushed down the toilet. Must be millions of posts. True, some of it was spam and trolling, but name any place on the internet where that doesn't happen? It's a poor excuse for what they're doing. It's like burning a city to kill a mosquito.

IMDB doesn't have a great deal to offer the average moviegoer (which regardless of snobbery is the bulk of traffic here) besides the community. The average person doesn't care about budget statistics or equipment used or obscure crewmembers, and the headliner information can be found in a lot of places, it's not exclusive to IMDB. I believe they're going to get a short sharp shock in terms of traffic once they make the change.

The mirror... it's broken.
Yes, I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.

The general boards, along with the childlike whiners who cried to admins every time someone hurt their feelers, are what is resulting in the loss of the most valuable part of IMDb: the film and tv specific boards.

If we could just eliminate the general discussion forums we could leave the real boards to the fans and the filmmakers who value the interaction and feedback.

Trolls never kill message boards. Adults ignore them. It's the emotionally damaged crybabies who have ruined every decent online forum since the birth of the internet.

Movies are IQ tests; the IMDB boards are how people broadcast their score.

Kind of odd to see a choice like this i feel like we are going back to the yahoo search engine days or early internet around 95/96. Seriously to this day and age not even a alternative to the imdb board is kind of bizarre.

As a movie buff its going to be a pain to find obscure movies or ask about them around the net or find said gems/obscure movies now.

The old school forum board design seem to be dying a bit thanks to facebook/twitter. I was a part of a football/soccer forum aswell but even that thing seems to die out.

Im not sure if its just a trend with the reddit/twitter design of boards but i feel like those things are a bit of a mess to find around in or actually be useful. Theres no sense of community or feel of a dialogue on boards/threads like these or soemthing you can pull up from a said older thread/dialogue.

it seems a bit odd that the twitter/reddit sort of design seems to be popular right now and im not sure if its just a thing tthat will be popular for only a couple of years but i honestly cant see how it can replace the common talk boards liek this or real lfie counterpart as i see it for the online version.

Kind of odd to see a choice like this i feel like we are going back to the yahoo search engine days or early internet around 95/96. Seriously to this day and age not even a alternative to the imdb board is kind of bizarre.

As a movie buff its going to be a pain to find obscure movies or ask about them around the net or find said gems/obscure movies now.

The old school forum board design seem to be dying a bit thanks to facebook/twitter. I was a part of a football/soccer forum aswell but even that thing seems to die out.

Im not sure if its just a trend with the reddit/twitter design of boards but i feel like those things are a bit of a mess to find around in or actually be useful. Theres no sense of community or feel of a dialogue on boards/threads like these or soemthing you can pull up from a said older thread/dialogue.

it seems a bit odd that the twitter/reddit sort of design seems to be popular right now and im not sure if its just a thing tthat will be popular for only a couple of years but i honestly cant see how it can replace the common talk boards liek this or real lfie counterpart as i see it for the online version.

I agree. Every time I watch a movie or show I go strait to imdb. I love seeing what others interpretations on films were, or maybe they caught something I didn't, and can recommend others movies/shows like it. I'm pretty bummed about this decision. I don't see how Facebook or twitter is going to replace the boards in any way, shape or form.

Adopt~
Don't wake me, I plan on sleeping in

I agree with you, it is an End of an Institution. And also just like you said the individual boards where fine. You only really saw trouble with more recent movies and even then, it seemed to be mostly the super hero films, where DC and Marvel fans are arguing with each other. And also the board for last years Ghostbuster's movie.

I've read loads of great stuff on the boards here for old films, tv shows and actors. Seems a shame that its going away. This is a stupid move, I hope the reverse their decision.

I'm just another who agrees with you. The individual film boards are the best feature of imdb. I visit them all the time. I mainly use imdb for the film boards to see what others think about obscure films that are basically unheard of online besides here!