Thrillers/Suspense : Any giallo fans?

Any giallo fans?

I love Dario Argento's movies right up through "Opera" and Mario Bava is one of my two or three favorite directors of all time. Especially "Blood and Black Lace" and "Black Sabbath", which are like gorgeous nightmares.

I did see "The Beyond" by Fulci and I didn't care for it. Argento and Bava made beautiful genre masterpieces, and Fulci was all about crude gore. At least later on in his career.

Besides these two guys, though, I am not at all familiar with the rest of the genre. So, I'm going to dive right into it.

Right now, I am watching "The Case of the Bloody Iris". It is pretty good, not great. The elevator murder at the beginning reminded me of the scene from Brian De Palma's "Dressed to Kill".

Can any giallo fans recommend a good one?

"My life is over. I might as well dance with Johnny Slash!"

Re: Any giallo fans?

I have never really liked the handful of Fulci films I have seen. He can get ok atmosphere happening, but his presentation of his material is kind of tacky. It is B grade Argento, or even Bava, which I can't attest to, having only seen one of his films.

I may have mentioned that I am interested in seeing Black Belly Of The Tarantula - '71 by a director called Paolo Cavara after reading about it. I also need to see earlier Argento. The earliest film of his that I have seen is Deep Red - '75, which I found quite impressive.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

"Black Belly of the Tarantula" is also on my giallo radar. The 70s titles almost always seemed to incorporate some kind of animal.

Which Bava film have you seen?

"Deep Red" is excellent. His three movies leading up to it are good, but DR was Argento's first masterwork.

"The Bird With the Crystal Plumage", "Cat O' Nine Tails" and "Four Flies on Grey Velvet" are for me, all around *** movies. I might rate "Bird" ***1/4.

All three have some pretty cool kills and I think in general, they are under-rated. Also, each of the three movies features a very attractive actor.

"Bird" has Tony Musante
"Flies" has Michael Brandon
"Cat" has James Franciscus, who is just gorgeous

Twitch Of The Death Nerve aka Bay Of Blood. I only bought it on dvd, because it was touted as an early slasher that 80's slashers started to emulate. I don't recall being either impressed, or disliking of it.

I really like the title Four Flies On Grey Velvet. It sounds poetic and ominous at the same time. Brandon looks like a better looking young Argento. I wonder if that is why he cast him. I love this poster….

I know you like Argento's Opera - '87. Have you seen Stage Fright - '87 by Soavi? I like this one better. My last best Argento film was Phenomena - '85.

Norman! What did you put in my tea?

Yes, big fan. Don't diss Fulci though or you can't sit with me. 😅

Well, I've only seen "The Beyond", so I can't say much about Fulci with certainty. But that film was nothing like Bava or Argento. I thought it was icky and cheap-looking.

Can you recommend any 70s Fulci? I have a friend who likes "Don't Torture a Duckling" (1972) and he says it is nothing like the later, gross-out Fulci.

"Blood and Black Lace" is the most beautiful color film I have ever seen. I could drown in Bava's colors.

Yes I was about to tell you to watch Don't Torture a Duckling. Probably his best for your taste.

Yes, I love giallo. Some of my favourites:

What Have You Done to Solange? (1972)
Paranoia (1970)
Paranoia/Orgasmo (1969)
Torso (1973)
Black Sabbath (1963)
What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (1974)
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh (1971)
Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)
Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)

Nice list. Loved Torso.

My dear killer (1972)
Five dolls for an August moon (1970)

It's time to start winding this thing down.