By Dawn's Early Light : 1000x Better than Fail Safe

1000x Better than Fail Safe

As far as WW3 movies go, I absolutely hated Fail Safe.

Ironically, I love this movie precisely because it finally fixed all the problems that I hated about FS. The biggest issue I've always had about that movie is how unnatural the characters were, since they were little more than devices to push the plot along. Everyone in By Dawn's Early Light acted like a normal human being. No one in Fail Safe acted naturally.

Compare and contrast similar scenes in both movies and you'll see what I mean:

1. When the bombers in BDEL get the code to go on the tour, they actually question it and ask for a confirmation. In Fail Safe, they just robotically accept the code with this frightened look on their faces and don't even bother questioning it. They're all like, "Oh, we just got the order to start WW3. Alrighty then!"

2. When James Earl Jones' character gives the president a hard time because he can't deliver the code, it's not because he doesn't believe it's the president. It's because of protocol; he's on autopilot doing what his training has told him to do. But then after awhile reality kicks in and he says pretty much, "Screw protocol. I know it's the president, and this is no time to start going by the book." In Fail Safe, the bomber gives the president a hard time because he's been written to be an absolute moron who can't be convinced that a trick isn't being played on him by the Russians. Even when his wife is there on the phone, he's incredulous.

The only thing that BDEL doesn't have over FS is production values. I would love to see a remake with a better budget. But the writing they can keep intact, because it was so much better than FS.

Re: 1000x Better than Fail Safe

You're clueless and stupid beyond measure.

Stop posting.

You're an idiot.

*puts poster on ignore*

---
Emojis= Emoticons=

I can't really agree with your views on the two films.

I like By Dawn's Early Light a lot. And I love Fail Safe.

By the way, the bomber crew in Fail Safe did seek confirmation after getting the 'Go Code' at the order of the pilot, Col. Grady.

Also, Col. Grady was a product of the Cold War, a year in from the Cuban Missile Crisis. Therefore his not believing that he was actually talking to the President, and carrying out the orders given to him is not really unrealistic.

It's been years since I've seen the film, but there were a number of shots in it that looked lack luster. I thought the story was interesting, but not all that plausible, even for a Hollywood film. I seem to recall that it was an HBO production, and therefore had a made for TV look about it.

It could have been better. And remember that Fail Safe was essentially a comedy.

Fail Safe wasn't the comedy, you're confusing that with Dr. Strangelove (which, BTW, has James Earl Jones in it, who was of course in BDEL).

Everyone in By Dawn's Early Light acted like a normal human being. No one in Fail Safe acted naturally.
How one sees a "normal human being" as acting is subjective to the actions of the human beings in one's personal experience. I think all the acting in "Fail-Safe" was just what the role called for; the flight crews were military, the president very presidential, the war-mongering civilian robotic and, especially, the translator scared to death but still able to perform his job with distinction.

When the bombers in BDEL get the code to go on the tour, they actually question it and ask for a confirmation. In Fail Safe, they just robotically accept the code with this frightened look on their faces and don't even bother questioning it. They're all like, "Oh, we just got the order to start WW3. Alrighty then!"
Incorrect. In "Fail-Safe," as the fail-safe alert reads out CAP 811, the first thing Col. Grady says is, "Must be a mistake; check Omaha." Then, as the authentication protocol is completed and the crew open their orders, he seems in utter disbelief. (The book goes into greater detail, noting that Grady had to "will himself" to do his sworn military duty.)

In Fail Safe, the bomber gives the president a hard time because he's been written to be an absolute moron who can't be convinced that a trick isn't being played on him by the Russians. Even when his wife is there on the phone, he's incredulous.
Again, incorrect. When the Russians stop jamming the Vindicators' radio transmissions and the president reaches Grady, his confusion is clearly visible (again, the book details this), and even more so when his wife gets on the radio; he stares, bewildered, and when his co-pilot says "Is it really your wife, sir?" he mouths, "I don't know" and looks quite pained as he does so.

Which "Fail-Safe" did you watch? The one with the hyphen or the one without?

🚴🇺🇲

🚴🇺🇲👍

I actually like "BY DAWN's EARLY LIGHT".

I think that it is a Good Movie and it also has got a Pretty Darn Good Cast as well.

Agreed! You can't go wrong with Rip Torn, Powers Boothe, and the sexy Rebecca De Mornay!

We don't talk about Bruno! No, no, no!

Agreed!