The Sandbox : "oh we didn't realise IMDB boards were so popular, we're opening them…

"oh we didn't realise IMDB boards were so popular, we're opening them…

just $10 a year to join.

I FORSEE THIS TO BE TRUE MY BROTHERS

-------------
fin

Re: "oh we didn't realise IMDB boards were so popular, we're opening the

I think that would be reasonable. I mean, I wouldn't pay for it because I don't pay for anything. I mostly steal and take advantage of other people's kindness, but I'm sure a lot of people would pay those damn 10 bucks.

I really felt quite distressed at not receiving an invitation - Maleficent

I'd pay $10 a year to occasionally voice my opinion about how this or that movie really sucks in someone's thread who thinks it doesn't suck.

I recently registered on a forum for vintage video games to ask some questions about stuff I've forgotten. After registering, they showed a message that people who want to post have to be recommended by an existing member, some kind of industry or museum employee or willing to pay money. I left the site and am never going back.

I would pay $10 a year to post on and read the boards, yes.

It's never too late to report anti-Semitic *beep*

You're on the right track - So instead of closing the message boards, why not try charging a nominal sum to each user per year, for use of the boards?

Say $1 or $5 per year - then we could have the best of all worlds - IMDB makes millions and its fan-base are happy to support it.

C'mon IMDB you know it makes sense to try charging first and certainly BEFORE you think of shutting it all down!

-
Sandwiched between The Principle of Mediocrity & Rare Earth Theory, you should see The Fermi Paradox

i would also pay a use fee. And that might also shrink the number of
new accounts created to simply shill the free pirate torrents.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pffft, my suspension of disbelief has higher standards than that.

Yes, it is all about the money.

But they can't do subscriptions or they would have to allow all of the current trolls to continue posting their filth.

I doubt $10 a year per person that decided to stay would offset the cost of supporting the server space that holds the message boards.

This is about cutting costs and the message boards reflect a lot of cost in server space.

What IMDB doesn't realize is that they also reflect a LOT of traffic that drives their current revenue stream. Once they cut that traffic they are going to see their revenue drop significantly.

It's simply a bad business decision.

I'm also not sure they realize exactly how many of their contributors they're going to piss off... how much free labor they're going to lose from all the people that add the info that makes this site.

Someone ever tries to kill you... you try to kill em right back.

Not to mention the loss of pro accounts. Filmmakers rely on the viewer feedback.

Movies are IQ tests; the IMDB boards are how people broadcast their score.

So you're saying it's a publicity ploy by IMDb with a profit incentive?

You gotsta make way for the Homo Superior