Beverly Hills, 90210 : Brandon as Brenda's 3rd Parent–So annoying

Brandon as Brenda's 3rd Parent–So annoying

I'm sure there are other examples of this, but I just watched the episode where Brenda is caught with cigarettes, and as her parents are admonishing her, Brandon goes, "It really is a disgusting habit, Bren".

One, why are the parents disciplining her in front of Brandon, and two, why is Brandon always throwing in his 5 cents whenever Brenda gets in trouble? Glad Brenda told him to shut up. Re-watching this series again, I think Brandon is the worst character. He's always on his moralistic high-horse and completely annoying. I swear, he is 17 going on 40.

Re: Brandon as Brenda's 3rd Parent–So annoying

That is a good way to describe him he was such a goodie two shoes.

Agreed, "3rd Parent" is an excellent description of Bran the man. He's not even an older sibling; he's her twin, for crying out loud! Poor Brenda really is the odd one out.

😨http://thepoliticsboardisatoxicenvironment.ytmnd.com/😨

Ugh...yes. Brandon behaved and was treated as though he was the much older and wiser sibling while Brenda was regarded as a little girl. It always annoyed me... It was a blatant form of sexism on the part of the writers. Brenda, being the girl, was of course watched over, policed, and lectured at nauseum. She couldn't take a crap without one of the Walshes giving her a speech about it. She caught hell for daring to have a steady boyfriend while Brandon got to nail his Minnesota girlfriend right there in his bedroom only to get the wink wink look from his father the next morning. Just....UGH!

I almost forgot about Brandon and the girl in his room, that really wasn't fair at all.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

Yes! I hate Brandon he's so insufferable and he's always lecturing someone. He's truly the mini Jim and he never lets anyone forget it. It's bad enough that Brenda had to deal with sexism from her family and their total lack of empathy when she gets mistreated but Brandon has to rub the blatant favoritism he gets in her face. I never understood how he had any friends.

"When life gives you lemons"
Jessica D: sleep with their fathers and have secret lemon children 

I totally agree! Like in the episode where Brenda stays out late with Stuart, and Brandon is standing in the hallway and says to Jim, "I can't believe you let her get away with that". Then Jim says, "Good night Brandon"....lol

If he was my brother, I would tell him to shut the hell up! My brother used to do that to me when we were younger and it really pissed me off.

Plus Brandon is such a hypocrite. We all see so many examples of Brenda standing up to her Dad and being made to look selfish and mean.

Remember when Jim was offered the job to go back to MN and when Brenda pleaded with him to give up the promotion Brandon was all "in the business world it's move up or move out Bren." (Or something to that effect).

Then, when Brandon got on his high horse about the Peach Pit being sold he jeopardized his Father's standing with an important client by throwing a hissy fit in front of everyone instead of taking up his issue with Jim in private.

Brenda was the one who said she loved Nat, but she wasn't about to side against her Dad.

"You met me at a very strange time in my life"

Brandon's very self righteous and he's not loyal to anyone. Brenda was always made out to be the bad one because she was independent enough to think for herself and she learned to admit when she made a mistake. Brandon always think he's in the right.

"When life gives you lemons"
Jessica D: sleep with their fathers and have secret lemon children 

Haha yes!! I remember the first time I watched the show, I thought Brandon was such a fantastic guy (and his cheating on Kelly in Season 8 was completely out of character).

When I rewatched, suddenly I found myself very confused on why I thought he was so great. He's now my favorite character to make fun of regularly with his "I'm so awesome, everyone bow down to me attitude." He was always putting Brenda down and always the pride and joy of his parents. I mean, he drank and drove and yet Brenda was scolded for throwing the party in the first place...because obviously Brandon just can't control himself in a party situation! He had an affair with a married woman, but it's Brandon so it's okay. He cheated on Kelly with Emily Valentine and had no remorse over it. He broke into Dylan's house for a stupid puzzle and got all righteous at Dylan for pulling a gun on him. DUDE! YOU BROKE INTO THE HOUSE!! He's definitely one of the, if not the, most hypocritical character in TV history... and that's why I love him dearly. Haha A million laughs!

Lol he knew what he was doing...every sibling knows if you want to keep the heat off of yourself just throw your brother or sister under the bus! He was a total moral relativist - it was ok when he did something wrong but lord help anyone else who did. One look from a dissapointed Brando and they all caved.

One, why are the parents disciplining her in front of Brandon,

because Brandon always whored himself into situations that had nothing to do with him. he is the Californian upper middle class version of Charles Ingalls.

and two, why is Brandon always throwing in his 5 cents whenever Brenda gets in trouble?

because it was allowed and his parents never shut him up or disciplined him.

My sister was similar to him. always allowed to do whatever she wanted, never got in trouble for anything she did. was always saying and doing things that deserved discipline -- that was always overlooked. My other sister and I hated not only her but our parents for allowing this to happen. and of course, since they created this 'almighty monster' they became afraid of this monster. they made their own mess. I will never forget nor stop laughing at Brandon's whining on how he has to work to pay for the damage he inflicts on his car!

Oh God. Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more.

He is the Californian upper middle class version of Charles Ingalls.

I think this will be my new favorite quote.

(Though Brandon's "straight arrow" ways - or apple pie as Valerie called it - supposedly had to do with his Minnesota background).

Yeah . . . Brandon is pretty awful! I couldn't stand him even when I was watching live back in the day. The best episode featuring Brandon was when Emily slipped him some drugs, and he was letting loose at that rave. His personality was great in that episode! Haha!