Cape Fear : Lighter fluid

Lighter fluid

Cady was burning probably 6 or 7 seconds after Danielle sprayed him.. don't you think he would have been in a lot more pain/more burned than he was when he climbed back onto the boat from the river?

Re: Lighter fluid

He probably didn't feel it with his rage

I thought he would look a little more burned/redder. He kinda looked like he was a leper.

You clearly haven't witnessed, in reality, how skin burns then. Plus MOMENTS before he demonstrates his high pain threshold. PLUS the adrenaline of it all would DEFINITELY have carried him through.

He probably didn't feel it with his rage

NO, he DID feel it because he was freaking out and screaming and cryingwhich is weird since just moments earlier he barely even flinched when he got scalded with the hot water and melting wax.

Until the fluid burns away on the skin, you don't feel it. I'm not suggesting you try it but I have done it before. However, the hair and clothes DO burn and if he was wearing a
synthetic material, it can belt onto the skin causing nasty burns also. Eye brows, shaved facial hair and nostril hair etc., all combine to make a real uncomfortable situation.
Running also increases the flame size due to the forced air. Anyhow, he would have had several nasty flesh burns no doubt but I think he leaped into the water quick enough to kill the flames before he was burnt really bad.
On a side note - if you ever burn your finger(s)/hand get them into very cold water as fast as you can and keep in the water for 20 mins or so - even if this seems too long, trust me, it ain't. Get the area under a running faucet and keep it there while you grab another vessel to hold the water in for the 20 minutes (or call for help and have help do it for you). Just whatever you do, don't move the burnt area away from the cold water or all of this will be futile. I once picked up a hot soldering iron by the business end thinking I had unplugged it and it had cold down. Nope !! Still hotter than hell !
I ran to the bathroom, immediately turned on the cold water, held my fingers there while my wife brought a container of ice water to me. After 20 mins my hand was damn near frozen but when I removed it from the water, I didn't feel a thing except for the hard skin where it was burned. Never felt any pain though. Speed is the key though.Get that water running and hand under it asap and you will not feel a thing. Got a wood stove ? Keep a container of cold water somewhere near it (in the room). Burns are one of the worst/painful things known to man :-) avoid at all costs (unless your a Cady like psycho I guess).

Pssssttt (in a whisper) A secret everybodyit's just a friggin suspense movie, not a documentary.

Sometimes ya gotta wonder.

For someone whose tag line is "sometimes you gotta wonder," you sure do go out of your way to dismiss people's interest in discussing the film's many plot holes. It's almost like you DON'T think these people sometimes gotta wonder.

Also, wanting fiction to make sense is a good thing. Dismissing the discussion of flaws by saying (with troll-like levels of cut-and-paste repetition) that it's not a documentary is dumb and disingenuous. And you know it. Otherwise you wouldn't care and wouldn't bother placing this exact same response all up and down these message boards.

Actually you want use FLOUR.

Supposedly a guy in the army caught on fire and they threw FLOUR on him and he was 100% fine. Not even a blister or bruise.

We tried this after my dad had burned himself but a few moments too late but after he had his hand in the FLOUR he was raising his eyebrows in amazement saying it felt much better and this was not even 5 minutes later. I know my mom has tried this numerous times and it seems to take down the swelling.