Ellen : why it was cancelled

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I don't care why it was cancelled…..

I thought it was a good SHOW. By that, I mean: it made you think. No matter what end of the proverbial political spectrum. And; is not that the point of a GOOD SHOW?

Post deleted

Re: why it was cancelled

Ellen loves to proclaim that the show was canceled because of her coming out, and she loves to piss and moan about how her show should have been just as successful as Will and Grace. If you look back, you'll find that her show was getting bad reviews and the ratings were dropping before the coming out episode. They actually went back up for a little bit after that, but people didn't care for the new one-joke premise. The coming out episode was actually supposed to be a way to boost ratings, and it worked for a bit. So Ellen's Seinfeld rip-off got a new lease on life, it just couldn't keep the viewers.

Kind of like how her stand-up was basically one joke for a long time after. So look what happens, you become a three dimensional diverse person and now you've got your own talk show. And the show doesn't have to focus around you being gay. It's not that the television audience has a huge problem with homosexuality, it's that they don't want to watch someone who does nothing but harp on it.

well i have to agree with mccrackenskeet i didn't watch the show on dvd so i havent seen it in ten years but i do remember watching it when it was on the air the show was never that popular (now that might have been political everyone knew she was gay long before she came out) as a matter of fact i remember them making a big deal about her hosting an awards show wearing a pant suit insinuating that she was gay her show started to lag i think it was even pulled for a few weeks before she came out then the ratings went up every episode was the same her female friends worrying about her wanting to sleep with them and im pretty sure at least one of the guys tried to convince her he could make her straight and then it got cancelled

I remember liking the show before she came out. However even before she came out on the show the show was going to hell. It was never a great show and I think the coming out part was just done for the ratings, and it failed.

If you hate Jesus Christ then tell him to *beep* off by copying this into your signature!

i agree with alot of you, the show was good for what it was, and if she didn't come out it would have lasted alot longer. That being said it really wasn't coming out that ended the show, it was the way she came out. the show just became gay in bad way.

yes, the ratings plunged. but i disagree that the show wasn't good - it really was good - all the seasons. it almost sounds like you're talking about the first season of the show.

the show was not conservative; in fact it was argued that it was "too gay" and that's why the ratings plunged. we'll never really know if that's the reason the ratings took a nose dive, but by today's standards, the level of gayness of the show would be considered laughable. i mean, look at will and grace?

piven and fischer were excellent characters, as were ellen's parents and my god - audrey? these were awful roles and they were terribly portrayed? i agree with the replacement of holly in season one (terrible character and terrible portrayal) though i think getting rid of Maggie Wheeler was a mistake. i could go either way on replacing adam, though i think the character spence was an improvement.

this show had a few more years in it, but it still had a decent run. i'm glad ellen has her talk show now, but i consider ellen a very enjoyable sitcom.

i'm reading a lot of posts concerned about how it became very lesbian. i don't think it was cancelled due to political reasons, but i don't personally think it was "too" lesbian. at all. in fact, i found it less lesbian than i would have wanted. it certainly did not seem like a social statement to me. i think when someone saw a lesbian pursuing a relationship it was "pushing lesbianism in our face" (AKA a social statement) but when we saw the same kind of behavior from heterosexual people the audience saw it as normal (so normal it's not even recognized). i think the show just made gay and non-gay people uncomfortable. by today's standards, it's very mild. i'm often surprised that ellen doesn't allude to her sexual orientation more often on her talk show. heterosexuals do ALL the time, but i feel bad for her that she only occasionally alludes to it :( think about it; if every show she mentioned portia people would get "turned off" but when kelly rippa mentions her husband ad nasueum, or regis his wife, etc. no one bats an eyelash.

Lets me set you straight here. (No pun intended). Ellen Degeneres and her TV show became a thorn in ABC-DISNEY SIDE durring the last 2 years it was on. The show became a lighting rod before the fourth season ended. ABC (which also owns Disney) did very little to help "Save" Ellen The Show in its last & final season. It also didn't help that ABC slapped a parental advisory label on the show before most episodes.

Ellen in its last year was also called "Too Gay". Elton John even said in an interview that "Ellen should shut up and just be funny". Later even co-star Jeremy Piven called the last year of "Ellen" "the big gay show" Ellen Degeneres no matter could not catch a break. No matter what she just couldn't win.

Now a few years after Ellen ended "Will & Grace" tackeled the same subjects and hot topics as "Ellen The Tv-Show" did. Also I must note that in the show "Will and Grace" Will never seem to have a bf untill the last years of that show (and Will & Grace was already in syndication). If it wasn't for "Ellen" there would of never been a "Will & Grace".

Now if you avoided "Ellen" durring the last year you should give it a look now! When you do you will see a show that has class and style. 2 of the funniest epiosdes ever on Ellen were in season 5. Those episodess are called "The Gay Yellow Pages" and the other is "Emma Thompson" which happens to have a cameo by Sean Penn.

Now again the show could of gone on another year or so if ABC new how to handel the show pplus if they would of promoated the show the ratings would of been better. Also IF the gay comunity was 100% behind "Ellen The Tv SHow" durring season 5 the show might of lasted another year.

Now I am happy to see that years later after her show ended "Ellen Degeneres" is more popular then ever! GOOD FOR HER! She deserves it! She help save lives! Including mine!

well i've only seen Ellen in reruns because i was really young when it first aired but of i've seen all the season's and i think every one of them was funny i didn't think the last season sucked like most people on here think. And i've never heard one thing come out of Ellen's mouth that wasn't funny! She makes EVERYTHING FUNNY!!!! it could be the lamest thing in the world and somehow she manages to make it funny! I've never not laughed at one of her jokes. and there was alot of homophobia around when she and her characther came out and i think Ellen's right for why it ended.

~~Jessica~~

The cancellation of a television show is usually political, at least internally. ABC did little or no promotion for the 5th season, which goes a long way to helping a series achieve decent ratings. The writing and acting have to be the foundation, but promotion is a big plus.

I've been watching the series on disc, and it has great episodes, good ones, and "meh" ones; like most comedy series. However, it hadn't run its course, like, say, My Name is Earl. That show had run out it's premise by the end of the second season, to my viewing. Ellen's coming out made for an interesting new direction. The problem I see was in trying to find the right balance between realistic situations and feelings that Ellen Morgan would face, but also finding the humor in those situations. I believe, that with network support, the show could have gone on to a sixth season, with a better balance. I agree that the exclusion of the supporting cast hurt the show, but that could have been addressed in a sixth season. There have been many shows that limped along with comparable ratings, because the network still believed in it. Many actually re-established themselves.

You have to remember that Ellen's viewpoint comes from inside the show. It is hard to be objective in those circumstances. She was privy to battles that the viewers know nothing about. She talks only in global statements, leaving out details that could give weight to those statements. So, yes, her coming out did affect her relationship with the network and created new battles that distracted from the creative focus of the show. Yes, the show overcompensated and probably rushed some storylines, rather than progressing logically into this new territory. Anyone who has had or been around someone who has had a life changing event knows that the person involved can suddenly become a fanatic; like the reformed smoker who badgers other smoker. I think Ellen went through a bit of this, not to mention a pretty turbulent personal life, at the time. So, yes the ratings were low, but not terminal. There was life still there, if everyone involved had been willing to step back and reasses thing, then proceed into a new season a little wiser.

Ultimately, the shows end was a temporary loss, which paved the way, eventually, for Ellen to find the role that really seems to suit her. She gets to have fun with a variety of guests, publicize good causes and extraordinary people, make a statement now and then, dance, and crack jokes. Moreover, it looks like she will be able to continue to do it as long as she chooses.

I agree with your statement, luxfux. I think the lesbian thing might have been a little risque for America in the mid 1990s, but that is not the reason why it was cancelled. They show reruns around here, and being a fan of her current talk show, I tried to watch her sitcom... two words: really bad.

Season 5 was very poor, and it was because all the storylines centered around being a lesbian.

I can't say whether or not this was the reason that it was cancelled, but I can imagine many people losing interest in the show after the 'coming out'.

It was terrible after she came out.
It was all about Ellen and her being gay.
At that point, all the characters that I grew to love went out the window and we sometimes didn't see them for multiple episodes.
I've always wondered if the other actors felt that it was too much too soon. And if they did, I wonder if they ever spoke up about it? Anybody ever heard anything in those regards?

I think it was Elton John who said something like, Yea, Ellen, we get it. You're gay. Now just be funny. Even he thought she went overboard.

Post deleted

And all other shows were about people being straight

wholy *beep* I didn't even realise it got canceled !?!? haha i wondered why they kept playing repeats......

I'm watching Season 5 for the first time, and I have to agree with some of what you said. I loved Seasons 2-4, and the first few episodes of Season 5 were really great too. But once she got together with Laurie, the show wasn't even funny anymore. It was all drama and tense and GAH! So heavy and no fun anymore. No wonder it was canceled.

...don't just laugh. Answer the pepperoni.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Season one was cool. You have a normal pack of friends in their 20/30s and some funny stories.

Season 2-4 changed the concept, and the characters were less "normal". You come by a lot of Adams and Hollys in your real life, but Audrey, Spence, and Joe are really so extreme you cannot imagine meeting someone like that in real life. So the comedy was just not as good as the first season.

Season 5 was a complete disaster. I even smiled when Ellen finally came out in the puppy episode, but the show became so boring and overwhelming it got intolerable.

And I really have to agree with one person in this post. It's like the gay community's never satisfied with the degree of your support and respect. And they start attacking you for the most subtle use of language. I remember commenting "it's just different", and got attacked because some people found the word "different" to be offending. This is exactly why Ellen got annoying. The people who continued to watch after you came out are, at least, tolerating of your orientation. By putting so much emphasize on the gay thing in the show, Ellen really made the show look like an aggressive gay campaign that's trying to condemn everyone still watching.

I think Ellen's argument is really futile. Your show got cancelled one YEAR after you came out. They didn't cancel because you became gay. They cancelled because you became boring and aggressive with the gay theme.

I think that having a a gay character in prime time television - as a major character - was something that the network wasn't really sure what to do with, and so they didn't know what to say or do, character-wise.

Things got better in the writing department. Will and Grace got started, as did the UK Queer As Folk.

I think that having a a gay character in prime time television - as a major character - was something that the network wasn't really sure what to do with, and so they didn't know what to say or do, character-wise.

Very true. Almost 20 years later, as a general rule, the viewing public still isn't comfortable with seeing gay people on TV--as evidenced by recent posts on threads like this.

They reveal a (non-intentional) separate set of standards when it comes to judging homosexual & heterosexual relationships on TV. For example, it would be difficult to find a person who would object to popular blockbusters like Friends, Seinfeld, or even back to I Love Lucy, because "too much of the humor surrounds heterosexual life, dating & relationships". There aren't many complaints about how Ellen "wasn't funny" when she bungled her way through several heterosexual relationships before coming out.

This isn't to say that Ellen didn't have better writing & plot lines in the earlier seasons (I happen to agree), or that the viewing public has to accept gay characters or storylines (that comfort level is an individual viewer's decision). However, to deny that there isn't a subtle built-in subconscious prejudice by mainstream society is simply not true--whether or not the intent is malicious.

I disagree that she is good. She was bad even before coming out of the closet. She should of just stayed out of acting. Also, she is not even funny. Nothing close to Seinfeld and he is not that funny either. Heck, I like Kramer and George more the Jerry. Ellen does not even look like a women. Since, I am a man, she is unattractive to all get out and that could be mostly why she switched because she could not get a man to like her that much. Now, that she came out all women are in love with her.

I am a gore watching freak!!!

If it don't have it, it isn't worth the watch.

Because it STUNK. It became a channel for Ellen DeGeneres (as opposed to Ellen Morgan) to celebrate and try to normalize her sexual perversions.

It was a good show when it was called These Friends of Mine.

When they decided to almost wholly make the show about lesbianism is when it lost its audience.