The Big Bang Theory : Wooden box by their couch?

Wooden box by their couch?

Not sure if it was ever used before in an episode but what is that wooden box on the left side of their couch? it has a metal handle on the side.

Looks kinda like an instrument carrying case maybe.

Re: Wooden box by their couch?

It's part of the set. And it gets more fan mail than Kaley Cuoco.

"R.I.P. IMDb message boards." - Me, 2017

So it's nothing? just a prop for their set?

What's that shelf over there?

Do you have a screen shot? I don't recall a wooden box by their couch....

**~Not my circus, not my monkeys...~**

I checked some pictures on my phone and saw it - it's a cool old piece that I never noticed before. There are a few pictures of Howard and Bernadette using it as a seat with a pillow on it - I'm going to check on my computer and see if I can get a clearer picture.

"Two gin and Frescas"
"Shaken, not ridiculed"

http://www.en-apparte.fr/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/appartement-de-big-band-theory.jpg

Here's a decent picture of it, in the far left lower corner.

"Two gin and Frescas"
"Shaken, not ridiculed"

Looks to me like an old travel trunk. In that case, maybe it's just used for storage?

Apathy on the rise; no one cares.

I LOL'd

And i bet it's an old scientific instrument case of some kind.
I think they have had other old science related items around the set.

Not sure if it was ever used before in an episode but what is that wooden box on the left side of their couch? it has a metal handle on the side.

Looks kinda like an instrument carrying case maybe.
As I recall, in the first few episodes, it was a metallic case with a leather handle (much like an instrument case).

By episode three or so, it was changed to the wooden one you're asking about, and has been there ever since. It looks like an old sea captain's chest, such as might be used to store charts, official dispatches and other important items. They usually had sturdy locks, with the captain alone retaining the key.

Personally, I've always admired the wooden apothecary's / card catalogue​ / tea chest which stands in the alcove. It was configured differently in its first appearance (less appealing), but from then on, it was the handsome piece we see today.

In The Staircase Implementation we see three unique items in Sheldon's bare apartment - the telescope, the DNA model, and that standing chest. I have trouble believing that Sheldon would so easily relinquish his flat forever, but it might help if I saw those things moved to 4B.

«C'est la guerre.» «Oui, mais on peut la faire poliment.»