Gilmore Girls : Why do fans think of Marty as a 'nice guy'?

Why do fans think of Marty as a 'nice guy'?

Logan can be a awful, but at least he's upfront about it and eventually matures and changes. Marty is awful and horribly passive agressive with a chip on his shoulder. he has to work, but so do many college students from low-income backgrounds. He and Rory absolutely deserved to get caught out as liars in that season 7 episode. Marty's dig to Logan about waiting for the 'trust fund' to kick in was just plain bitter (is he also forgetting that Rory has rich grandparents and college paid for?). Logan and his friends have a history of being rude to Marty, but at this point all Logan was doing was pointing out that Marty's workload was intense.

I always find it strange that men like Marty and Luke who wait around for the women they have feelings for (but are merely platonic friends with) are hailed as nice guys 'who waited'. I actually don't think they are very nice at all, but rather fake and lacking in integrity.

Re: Why do fans think of Marty as a 'nice guy'?

I think in situations like this one "nice" is another word for "safe" and "harmless".

A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist - Sir Humphrey Appleby

The term 'nice guy' means a guy who is passive-aggressive toward a woman (and her friends/significant other as well) but is cloaked in a guise of seeming humble and sensitive. A lot of these men tend to be toxic overall.

I thought it fit the case of Marty as he ended up being portrayed in season 7. He was acting inappropriately toward Rory and his own girlfriend. I still don't get what his deal was entirely, but the implication seemed to be that he still pined for Rory, I think? The whole thing was awkward and badly written.

Yeah he was still interested in Rory when they haven't seen or spoken to each other in 2 years. It's so embarrassing to watch.

"When life gives you lemons"
Jessica D: sleep with their fathers and have secret lemon children

I fear a repeat of this in the revival.

Tristan returns with a girlfriend, and I just hope he managed to move on, and isn't pining for Rory. Same with Dean, I guess, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he still carried a torch for her. Bleh.

Do we know if it is really Tristan or new character with the name Tristan

Who's to say that dreams aren't real and realities just a dream

I have this fear for every ex that is returning. They're either still pining (even if just ready and willing if the Gilmores give them the word), or settled and happy with quality women but only for the benefit of Rory and Lorelai evaluating their own lives. Which, just go on Facebook for that.

But I know I'm being too picky, to care about ulterior motives for guys getting to move on.

Yes especially to your last sentences!! You don't deserve a woman because you waited for her. Marty was nice when we first saw him on the show but I never thought they should date and his return to the show made it clear that he's petty, insecure, and a liar. He treated Lucy so badly and I just hate the whole storyline. He had a crush and he ruined an actual relationship for a fantasy. Rory was stupid for going along with his plan and then expecting Logan to play along too. His crack about the trust fund was pathetic. They hadn't seen each other in 2 years and he's still bitter? Like you said Rory is far more privileged than Marty and she actually plays the woe is me I'm not rich card. At least Logan is pretty generous with his money and doesn't hide it. The whole scene is hard to watch. Lucy should've cut Rory off for good. Then somehow the whole situation gets turned into shame on Logan for getting jealous and shame on Lucy for taking too long to forgive Rory.

"When life gives you lemons"
Jessica D: sleep with their fathers and have secret lemon children

I used to really like Marty and wished he and Rory had gotten together. He's brighter than Dean, nicer than Jess or Logan, and just kind of likably quirky. Score - right?

On later viewings, I'm less enthusiastic. I still like him and think he makes a good friend, but he has such a defeatist attitude. Everything he says and does around Rory says, "I really really like you, but I don't deserve you and I wouldn't blame you if you kicked me to the curb because that's probably what I'd do to me too."

He did finally declare his feelings, which was brave(ish). But if you really want to be with someone, at some point you have to show why you'd make a good partner instead of moping and cringing and giving up at every turn.

I find Marty the most attractive and charismatic actually - I'm sorry that he didn't have a bigger presence on the show.

I do too. I always thought he was the best looking guy and very likeable. I wanted to see more of him.

-Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Yeah, he was the best-looking and felt the most real somehow. He didn't look like an actor.

his name. it just sounds nice.

The food I've liked in my time is American country cookin'-Colonel Sanders

I always find it strange that men like Marty and Luke who wait around for the women they have feelings for (but are merely platonic friends with) are hailed as nice guys 'who waited'. I actually don't think they are very nice at all, but rather fake and lacking in integrity.

I think this is true for Marty, but I wouldn't put Luke in that category necessarily. While he would get upset when Loralei showed up with a new boyfriend, it was usually resolved within the same episode. The fact that he put aside his feelings to be a friend to Loralei shows a lot of integrity and that he genuinely cares for her as a person rather than just a body.

I do wish marty would have been better utilized and attempted to date rory while she was on break from logan but realizes she just likes him like a brother.

Yeah, I could have seen that working.

I think too few fans have actually seen enough of season 7 to know that Marty turns darker there. They think of him as the nice guy he was in season 4.

I completely agree with this, and I don't find him that great in season 4 either. I feel like his niceness is just weakness.

I feel like his niceness is just weakness.

Please tell me you're joking. Jane the Virgin made good fun of this trope.

It wasn't a joke. I'm curious, what is the trope?

I said this because of that scene after they meet, when Marty says he can only approach Rory because she is in a lower or shameful position due to wearing a sleeping robe - as if that is even comparable to passing out naked. But I might be projecting.

The 'Nice guys finish last' or get 'friendzoned' trope. I was so angry at the show that they set things up in a way that did look like Rory picked the jerk that Logan was initially. Of course, later we see that she as drawn to Logan as part and parcel of being more and more pulled into the upper class world, but it still stings.

To me, had they developed Marty's character, he'd be a female version of Rory (but without the emotional and financial privilege). Meaning that he's bright and good-looking, but also too sweet and awkward to bank on it in a romantic sense. He deserves better than Rory IMO.

I don't know, I just feel that the kind of "niceness" Marty displayed wasn't that genuine and that it could easily turn into bitterness. He was never fully comfortable with himself or his image, in season 7 he pretended not to know Rory because he was ashamed of his past self, and it seemed like he was trying to become a new person (like becoming stronger and "cooler"). I think he just seemed extremely insecure in a bad way.

I think Marty was a good guy when we were first getting to know him (loved him in the tailgate episode and how he charmed Richard) but I think he was yet another character that was sacrificed to show how fantastic Rory was with her bewitching powers.

Having to wait does that to a guy, erodes the integrity and shine the fake on.

Blocking anyone subscribing to the moronic alpha/beta tripe.