Women and Film : Why isn't there a board titled 'men and film'

Why isn't there a board titled 'men and film'

Like... What the hell?

My Music-youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF75-Dalj0xIZOHWM4xl_Mg

Re: Why isn't there a board titled 'men and film'

Why is it "reverse sexism" when it's against men?

My Music-youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF75-Dalj0xIZOHWM4xl_Mg

So you're saying you don't see men and women equally? Ah I see...

This isn't the goddamn1950s. If there's on there should be the other. I don't see the other forums as being about men... And now it's apparently about being white... You do know the white people can be victims of racism as well right? Oh but of course, in that case it's "reverse" racism because all white men are rich *beep* who get everything they want and *beep* all over everyone else, I forgot.

Stop treating women like they're fragile little girls who can't handle anything. And don't blame an entire race of people for the few.

So you're saying you don't see men and women equally? Ah I see...

That depends on the way your using the word 'equal'. I believe that Nothing_Is_Forever is implying that women aren't represented equally in these IMDB message boards. And also Nothing_Is_Forever is saying that women are entitled to rights equal to that of men.

This isn't the goddamn1950s.

Indeed. It isn't the 1950's.

If there's one there should be the other.

I notice you haven't started a thread on the LGBT Film board titled 'Why isn't there a board titled 'Straight Film'', if you truly believe what you say then ideally you should have.

I don't see the other forums as being about men...

Harry Potter and James Bond are men.
Here are the boards about these men:
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000075/threads/
http://www.imdb.com/board/bd0000070/threads/

To show how men-centric these boards are, here a copy-n-paste of most recent posts on the Box Office board:
Adjusted Box Office Comparison Between DC and Marvel Comics Properties
Can DC's new rumored schedule actually happen? Boxoffice wise...
Frozen's insane 13 weekend streak at #1 in Japan...
'Godzilla' opens huge in CHINA!
Cool Movie and Music Autographed Memorabilia!!!!
Avatar 2 opening weekend predictions
June, 13th - 15th predictions
Paddington looks promising
BoxOffice.com on Guardians of Galaxy forecast
Thoughts on Terminator: Genesis (Box Office)?
How will Sony fix Spider-Man at the box office should this one fail?
Why did Edge of Tomorrow flop at the box office?
Jersey Boys Predictions
CapAm2 is officially the biggest movie of the year.....
'Dragon,' 'Jump Street' Set for Sequel Showdown This Weekend
Transformers: Age of Extinction - $200 million in China alone?
Could the delay end up helping Jupiter Ascending?
Was The Devil's Rain (1975) a hit or flop ?
did you like the new x-men movie?
8.1 Milllion Thursday for Fault In Our Stars, 1.8 Million for Edge
What will be the biggest horror hit this summer?
Will there be a crazy, massive hit this year?
What if vertical integration was allowed again?
How well could Indiana Jones perform without Harrison Ford?
How bad will Jersey Boys FLOP

Only two, of all the films mentioned, star women.

And now it's apparently about being white... You do know the white people can be victims of racism as well right?

This 'racism' towards white people is caused in response to racism from white people. And therefore, by definition, not racism.

Oh but of course, in that case it's "reverse" racism because all white men are rich *beep* who get everything they want and *beep* all over everyone else, I forgot.

No, it's reverse racism because it's made up to make white men look like victims and get people to feel compassionate for them, while continuing to be the problem. (Not ALL white men, I say white men because they make up the majority of the group in question).

Stop treating women like they're fragile little girls who can't handle anything.

Nothing_Is_Forever wasn't. Nothing_Is_Forever was commenting about the men who view women as less than them.

And don't blame an entire race of people for the few.

Nothing_Is_Forever never blamed an entire race or gender of people. I suggest rereading the post you were replying to.

The boards for Harry potter and James bond are not just of those characters, but of the entire series in which women are indeed a part of.

The boards for Harry potter and James bond are not just of those characters, but of the entire series in which women are indeed a part of.

Admittedly the point about the Harry Potter and James Bond boards was meant as a sly joke, hence the reason I followed it with my point about how men-centric the boards were.

That said, the James Bond movies and books are about James Bond, so any talk of the women in the James Bond movies and books would be in relation to James Bond. Hence, man-centric.

I already told you that 90% of movies are about men, so there is a "men and film" board.

90% of movies are not exclusively about men, unless you're talking about specific genres.

Just like there doesn't need to be men's studies class in school because "American History" is "White Men's History".

So because men were at the forefront of most important historical events, there is absolutely no need to reflect on their role in society? I think you're missing the point.

Some people might have prejudice against men but there is no such thing as sexism against men, because sexism is a form of oppression and men are not oppressed. Prejudice and oppression are two different things.

Can you name some ways in which women in the developed world are still oppressed? I'm sure for every point you bring up, I can name an equivalent for men.

And no, sexism is not a form of oppression. It is a form of prejudice that occurs on the basis of sex.

You see, unlike women, men have the most privilege, power, wealth, and authority therefor men are not oppressed. It's not rocket science.

The amount of men with great power, privilege, and wealth is miniscule compared to the amount of men who are in prison, homeless, or working dangerous jobs.

"Reverse sexism" would be giving a sex privileges to right past wrongs. "Sexism" is when one sex is used as a means to discriminate.

Male privilege is self-evident, but that doesn't mean women can't be sexist to men.

Having an opinion can save your life. Just ask Marvin.

Yeah! You tell her jack-fitz!

Have to admit, that made me laugh

I was rather surprised when my daughter flipped. Back in 08 when I was bitching about the treatment Hillary was getting, she was "I can't relate to your ancient feminism, mom".
Now I'm still outdated because she's the new feminism & male privilege.

But you don't get it, Jack.
Bring your daughter to work day was because in too many settings women get back-burnered by guys & sure enough it turned into Bring you child to work & has vanished.
As the mother of a daughter, I saw it so much.
I bought my daughter a baseball and a bat. She came home from preschool saying girls can't play baseball and never touched them again.
You can't understand if you haven't experienced it.

=nr

That is bullahit right there; you're saying that I need to be a woman or be extremely close to one (daughter) to understand sexism?
That's just not true, it effects everyone if it effects anyone.

Men prevail over woman. They need their shinning spot.

Contact the imdb administrators and ask them.

https://youtu.be/SuHAMpg9FwQ

~~~~ SCANDAL - "Thinking is for losers!" Best satire ever televised.

I think the OP is right. I agree that there should be a board for Men in Film.

But the OP did not suggest any topics for discussion on the board. That part seems important. So I came up with a few ideas myself.

THREADS FOR THE MEN IN FILM BOARD

-Why are movies geared toward men so juvenile?

-Having a plot vs. having explosions

-We need more male nudity in movies

-Why men hog all the cinematography jobs

-Do men actually walk out of the theater and demand their money back if they don't see boobs within the first five minutes of the movie?

-Why men hog all the directing jobs

-Do men consider it necessary for plot development to have the female character take her clothes off before she utters any lines?

-Talent for a male action star - necessary or not?

-Is it true that most male actors are only about five feet tall?

-There's too many men voting on the Academy Awards

-What do producers gain by paying so much more money to male actors than female actors?

-Problems of being a male director - how does one stand out from so many other male directors?

-How much makeup does the average actor wear? Re: Billy Zane's eyeliner in Titanic

That's all I've got for now. But I do think it's a great idea to have a Men in Film board. It would be the perfect place to talk about men's piggy behavior in the movie business. Sounds good to me.

Too many males including the op are sexist republicans and won't admit or don't get the irony !

Re: WOMEN and Film

jack,

Why isn't there a board titled 'men and film'

IDK, but my "first guess" answer when I, myself, have these kinds of questions has to be, "Because I, myself, haven't cared enough about "it" to make "it" happen." Isn't it the same for each of us? You know, "be the change in the world that you wish to see" sort of logic.

So, I'll re-phrase your question in such a way that it respects the woman-centric and primacy of the topic of this thread. WOMEN and Film, and let's focus there:

"Why is there a need for a Women and Film thread?"

Geena Davis answers it best in these two, 3-minute videos:

Help Geena Davis End the Job Crisis (For Female Animated Characters)

https://youtu.be/2rAPOaejTeE?list=PLVc4me18GRilLk8AeR9OQP3tnCkWmy7x_

and

Learn all about the Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media

https://youtu.be/mcgcJlJpysA

ETA:

Published on Sep 14, 2012
Improving Gender Portrayals
in Children's Media

The Geena Davis Institute on Gender in Media is the only research-based organization working within the media and entertainment industry to engage, educate, and influence the need for gender balance, reducing stereotyping and creating a wide variety of female characters for entertainment targeting children 11 and under.

Collaboration is essential to continue this groundbreaking movement. We need your help in this important work! Get Involved Today...visit www.seejane.org

http://seejane.org/

I'm asking fair-minded people whom may not have even known that such damaging disparity even existed or those whom did know but have not yet taken action, to make those shifts towards fair treatment of women.

Susan, "but I was thinking..." Leo, "STOP! Thinking is for losers!" - Scandal's satirical message.

Because men are the "majority group" in just about every society. You could even think of it as "male privilege" should you choose to buy into that kind of rubbish, but regardless, you should get the point.