War Films : What're your top two Vietnam movies?

Re: What're your top two Vietnam movies?

with the last one, the wheeled carriage is right, but I was thinking of this WW2 era thing...(remembered from this very image, the box art of Airfix 1:72 Russian Infantry

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Boxes/AIR01717Box.jpg

definitely appears to be a Vickers/Maxim style weapon mated to that wheeled set-up..

the second one, you have repeated the link from your RPD, I believe..

First: Blast me, you're right! Corrected;

Second: Yeah, I've see NVA using the wheeled 'chopper' in some of their 'combat movies'. The SG43 Goryunov was renowned for it's reliability & ruggedness during WW2 & naturally proved popular with the Vietminh, the NVA & the VC.

Why can't you wretched prey creatures understand that the Universe doesn't owe you anything!?

that's a very uncomfortable sitting position with the gunner in that painting, when you look closely at it..I don't think I could sit like that..

good box painting though, wasn't it, all the elements of the Eastern Front, in summer mode at least, are there...what appears to be defunct German slumped in front of their position, blazing wrecked buildings all around, Stuka wheeling overhead..

are those those things Lewis-style, with round drum on top...or the wheeled Vickers style things?

the former, got used in last scenes of Bridges of Toko Ri, Korea, at least..

the latter, there is a really good docu on Long Tan, where Charles/NVA with branches on their helmets, are seen running through the jungle pulling them along behind them..wonder if that docu is on Youtube...it begins with a Huey helicopter slowly approaching airlifting a large memorial cross...

Apocalypse Now and Platoon. I guess, since I feel that there ought to be better ones out there, there hasn't been that many Vietnam war movies made lately.

Those two are head and shoulders above the rest.

Full Metal Jacket

Born on the 4th of July

Platoon is untouchable. An absolutely fantastic movie. I remember watching it as a teenager and thinking it was so so. I didn't see what was so special about it. Then I turned 18 and joined the Army (1/505 82nd Airborne) and gave Platoon another watch. That's when I got it. I don't know if I was too young the first time to appreciate it, or that being an infantryman suddenly gave me the ability to see the movie from a new perspective. But either way, it's one of my favorite films of all time. And despite being a "heavy" movie with a long run time and a lot of emotions to process, it's still the kind of movie I can watch over and over again.

Anyway, enough gushing about Platoon. But yeah, Platoon and The Boys in Company C. I love Washington's character and how he transforms throughout the movie.

Apocalypse Now and Platoon.

The Last Days In Vietnam
Apocalypse Now

My real name is Jeff