War Films : What're your top two Vietnam movies?

What're your top two Vietnam movies?

Would be interesting to see what movies make your list. Maybe there are a few good ones you will list that I haven't seen. Mine are:
1. Platoon
2. Full Metal Jacket

Yesterday, Today was Tomorrow

Re: What're your top two Vietnam movies?

I think most folks would name the two you mentioned, and add "Apocolypse Now" but I would recommend the obscure "Siege of Firebase Gloria" (Even though I rate it below the three I mentioned)

You Can't Fool Me...I'm a Moron!

Platoon

and

How Sleep the Brave

To be honest, i like to watch modern war movies more than all of the classics (I suck, don't i?)But i liked We Were Soldiers and Rescue Dawn.

Both very good.... although they do lack the emotional power, grit and brutality of the earlier made ones.

Also, The Boys in Company C (1978)

We Were Soldiers is a WWII movie, isn't it?

Sorry, confusing We Were Soldiers with Windtalkers.

Hamburger Hill
Platoon

Covey Leader calling Raven.
Come on, Raven.

Apocalypse Now is my favorite, by far.
A photo finish between Full Metal Jacket and The Deer Hunter.

Of those not mentioned, I would recommend The Killing Fields.

Hamburger Hill,We were soldiers,casualties of war(michael j. fox) were true stories and were very good. Boys in Company C is too I believe but not sure.

My 2 favs are...

Platoon I think was pretty awesome. I think,but I'm not sure,it was one of the first most very,very,very graphic portrayals of Vietnam.Maybe that's why it's listed many times here?

casualties of war. It was a brutal truth of I'm sure very few events which people did find out about.

My wife's 2 brothers were there.1 of them was the only survivor of 3 helicopter crashes and was a door gunner. Vets who were in the s**t cannot even talk about Vietnam. They both have had episodes where a certain smell doesn't even make them want to go into a hospital and 1 of them has had problems with jackhammer noises simply sending him into panic. They both went on to lead as normal of a life possible with great jobs and great pay. She was an oops and they are about 18 years older than her.

Well he shoulda' armed himself if he's gonna' decorate his saloon with my friend.

This is deep. And to think Uncle Sam threw guys into the jungle fresh from high school at around age 18. Like your William Munny Unforgiven tag line.

As a vet from that timeframe (drafted in '69 - served into '71) it is difficult for me to pick two. I will state that the depiction of the polarization between doper and boozer troops in Platoon is spot on. The futility of the war is accurately depicted in Hamburger Hill. The depiction of boot camp in Full Metal Jacket is very accurate except for the physical abuse...boot camp was extremely difficult, but the drill instructors never laid a hand on any recruit.

Gratefully appreciated from someone who was there. Do you get flashbacks when viewing Vietnam war movies? I've come across a few vets who get upset just talking about it even though it was so long ago.

We Were Soldiers
The Platoon Leader
The Green Berets

My top 3

"You gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"
-The Outlaw Josey Wales

"Hamburger Hill" and "We Were Soldiers".

317th Platoon
Go Tell the Spartans

I watched Go Tell the Spartans again recently and it is so tame compared to the Vietnam War Movies made since then. Didn't like it this time around.

1.Platoon
2.Boys In Company C

Honourable mention to The Odd Angry Shot.

Coy C and ToAS I liked (watched them on dvd last year for the first time since the 70s) but AN for me.

Marlon, Claudia and Dimby the cats 1989-2005, 2007 and 2010.

I watched the "Deer Hunter" again after many years and the first hour really is quite tedious to sit through.I realise it builds the characters but there are far too many drunken antics and the wedding goes on forever;jeez couldn`t wait until the Russian roulette sequences.Walken is fantastic and deservedly won an Oscar but I`ll stick with my two.
AN is many peoples` favourite but I found the ending with Brando far too self-indulgent with a mumbling ,incomprehensible performance although granted it does have many memorable scenes with the napalm attack,whirring helicopter blades, which have since become synonomous with the conflict.

Tried it once to humour my bird. Never again.

Marlon, Claudia and Dimby the cats 1989-2005, 2007 and 2010.

Deerhunter
Full Metal Jacket

"Born on the Fourth of July" hasn´t been mentioned yet.

Not a top 2 and more about being a vet...

"Boards don´t hit back!"

In terms of depicting the mindset of the troops in Vietnam, Platoon is the winner...been there, done that.

PLATOON - No war movie has had the impact that Platoon has. It finally showed America what the war was like for MANY of the troops and let them see the hell they went through and helped them understand it. Also Platoon is set when the attitude was def turning almost totally negative towards the war

We Were Soldier - Love anything about the Ia Drang battles. Showed the war on the home front as well and showed the war when most people supported it and believed in what they were doing.

Haters gonna hate but trolls are pathetic

Firstly Full Metal Jacket, and then probably Platoon.

Full Metal Jacket is actually one of the best movies IÂ’ve ever seen out of any genre. Most seem to prefer the first half where they show the bootcamp training than the second half when they go into combat but I personally enjoyed the whole movie & it was amazing how they showed the two different aspects of war told in a great interrelated story.

Re: What're Your Top Two Vietnam Movies?

10/10
1. Operation Dumbo Drop (1995)
2. Under Heavy Fire (2001)
3. The Deer Hunter (1978)

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

Full Metal Jaacket

Jump into Hell
The Green Berets

"You can't send a kid like this up in a crate like that on a night like tonight!"

Platoon (1986)

Casualties of War (1989)

The Spikeopath - Hospital Number 217

Only PLATOON, I'm afraid. It's the only Vietnam movie I've given a 9/10 (I've never given one a 10/10). By the way, I gave FULL METAL JACKET a 6/10.

Dare I ask what you would give "The Green Berets"?Full Metal Jacket is fantastic during the Paris Island training but dips considerably after with a jarring transition to Nam(or the London Docklands!).Feels like two films badly joined whereas Company C managed it more effectively.

You talk the words right out of my out in regards to F.M.J.

Dare I ask what you would give "The Green Berets"?

I haven't seen it.

1 Apocalypse Now - THEATRICAL CUT
2 Platoon

Although in both cases the voice-over gets a bit heavy-handed near the end.

Honourable mention- Casualties of War - surprisingly good effort from De Palma, usually the master of the unsubtle [which is not necessarily a bad thing].

"Round up the usual suspects."

Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now

Runner up: 84 Charlie MoPic.

"Say it with flowers . . . give her a Triffid."

Nobody's mentioned THE SIEGE OF FIREBASE GLORIA yet? I consider that my favorite, at least in terms of excitement, realism, and action content. It's basically ZULU but set in Vietnam during the Tet Offensive, and filmed in the glorious Philippines making full use of the local cast who you may recognize from any number of Filipino trashy Vietnam movies. GLORIA though is in a league of its own and takes itself quite seriously. There's a couple goofy scenes like when a guy uses kung fu to fend off some VC but otherwise perfect, and R. Lee Ermey gets to play his same character from FMJ, only this time in a combat situation. A dream come true as a film.

Aside from that, I'd say PLATOON or APOCALYPSE NOW. Both are total fantasy films but with enough action and philosophy that they're interesting, entertaining, and even moving from start to finish.

For a really fun action movie SET in Vietnam though after the war, I'd recommend THE LAST AMERICAN SOLDIER for sheer level of violence and action. There is more explosions and killing in its climax than in all of COMMANDO.

Speaking of 'Zulu in Da 'Nam', I think Australian film makers are working on a drama on the Battle of Long Tan: Sort of a fight between an NVA regiment & a Digger rifle company without the benefit of being 'dug in':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Long_Tan

Why can't you wretched prey creatures understand that the Universe doesn't owe you anything!?

This has been in the pipeline for quite a few years but would be interesting to see.

1.Apocalypse Now
2.Platoon

--------------
"I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in the rain."

1. "Apocalypse Now" if only for the Air Cav assault.
2. "Hamburger Hill" for everything else.

I'm glad both "84 Charlie Mopic" and "The Odd Angry Shot" were mentioned as they are both good but not as well known.

I'd also recommend the documentary "The Anderson Platoon".

Added info: The Anderson Platoon's climactic battle happened to be one that historian S.L.A. Marshall wrote about (an NVA battalion got cornered in a swampy area & virtually destroyed with very low cost to the US; Also, director Pierre Schoendoerffer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Schoendoerffer
was a French Indochina War vet himself & also made one of my favorite 'Viet War' films 317th Platoon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_317th_Platoon

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058863/

Why can't you wretched prey creatures understand that the Universe doesn't owe you anything!?

i just went to watch my dvd of it, and realized it is not the same version as the original i saw on cable years ago. a lot of missing scenes and narration, scenes put in different order. still good, but nowhere near as good as the original. avoid the Stuart Whitman narrated version.

"I'll do the masterminding around here." -Sgt. Stryker, "Sands of Iwo Jima"

You mean 'The Anderson Platoon'?

yes. i hadn't realized there are number of different versions.

"I'll do the masterminding around here." -Sgt. Stryker, "Sands of Iwo Jima"

Nor did I; I only remember "A.P." on a VHS back in 1986...I don't remember the narrator at all.

By the way have you seen this Docco?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yaSg0I7t4Q

Here is an actual firefight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxqc-ZqB5cQ

The filmmaker (A WW2 Marine Vet himself) 'imbedded' with a Marine Rifle company for nearly 100 days in 1966.

We Were Soldiers
Hamburger Hill

"BAT 21" and "Odd Angry Shot"...there should have been an Australian movie about Long Tan, it was talked about but never happened, we got some very good re-enactment docu-dramas on that and other Vietnam War battles, but never an actual movie the most famous or infamous brand-name combat we were involved in..

Several movies which seemed to REALLY capture the 'Nam atmosphere were only partly about Vietnam War ..I thought the war sequences in Forrest Gump were great, and in a similiar way, the probably now forgotten "American Graffiti" sequel II...the nerdy guy, the one who played the Treasury accountant in "THE UNTOUCHABLES" movie, had moved on from riding around in other guys' hotrods in Happy Days America, to being a disgruntled Huey pilot in country...he was only one third or one quarter of the movie, but I thought it was done well..

More than any other war, the key to a good Vietnam War movie might be it being easy to come up with a bitchin' sound-track..

I don't think BAT21 did much sound-tracking, it was unusual in being a Vietnam flying movie,based on true event if playing that pretty fast and loose,

but Forrest Gump war sequences, American Graffiti II, and something like 'Coming Home" which was really almost a pre-make of 'Born on Fourth of July", all had bitchin' 60s music...

Back on track, maybe I'd add 'Casualties of War", mostly for it's sheer impact, regarding the "portable R&R" thing and it's outcome, and Penn's 'this ain't no VC..." speech...

I enjoyed Odd Angry Shot a lot (And I am eagerly waiting for the Long Tan drama) especially because it's the only 'Nam movie that had the NVA using an actual commie RPD light machinegun.

are those those things Lewis-style, with round drum on top...or the wheeled Vickers style things?

the former, got used in last scenes of Bridges of Toko Ri, Korea, at least..

This is the RPD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPD_machine_gun

The 'Lewis Gun' style machinegun is this beast:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degtyaryov_machine_gun

And the popular LMG on wheels is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SG-43_Goryunov