The Princess Diaries : Does anyone else think Lilly was selfish?

Does anyone else think Lilly was selfish?

Mia gets her makeover, looks great, and instead of complimenting her, Lilly jumps down her throat about "selling out." Not only did she sound self-centered by only focusing on her need for Mia to help her out, but she actually seemed jealous, too: because of Mia's new inheritance, and the fact that Mia could actually turn guys' heads, like Michael and Josh; and she can't.

In any case, I can understand being upset if your friend spends less time with you, with little explanation. However, in this case, Mia needed Lilly's supportnot her critcism.

Re: Does anyone else think Lilly was selfish?

in my opinion, i do think that mia sold out a little, but not to the extent that lilly was making it. i'd still support mia, no matter what i thought of what she looked like.

evil7.gif evil9.gif
"Would you please stop trying to take your clothes off?" -edward cullen, eclipse
T~O since march 2006
robsessed
breaking dawn mafia

Please explain how Mia sold out. The story is clear that Mia had some very difficult decisions to make in her lifedecisions that Lily had and never would have an inkling ofand sometimes making decisions means doing mature things that immature peopleas Lilydon't understand or like.

in lily's defense, she didn't know the full reason for mia's makeover until after. then she understood why mia *had* to make some changes, and was supportive in the classroom. she just thought mia was trying to be something she wasn't.
of course, she went overboard in the car by complaining *the whole way to school*.
she was just being dramatic.
she's apparently much worse in the book.
There's just a possibility that I will kiss a doorknob.
T~O #210

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

In my opinion no . Lily might have just had a " temporary freak out " because she was worried that her best friend would change on her ( or " sell out " ) and become snobbish and not be her friend anymore ( but we know that wouldn't have been the case - sweet Mia would never do that to Lily on any level ) . There was a scene when Lily was being supportive in the classroom when the cheerleader girls were teasing Mia about her wearing a hat in class and about her new hairstyle - Lily said , " I think her hair rocks ! " ( am not sure if that's the exact words she said and I know she said more but it's close enough ? ) . I think we have all been there with a best friend at least once but it almost always works out in the end ?

Lily is selfish. I don't think she purposely means to be but sometimes she focuses so much on her own stuff that she forgets about other like her talk show. I actually think they toned her down a lot in the movie. In the books she comes across as an arrogant, stuck up cow who constantly seems to belittle Mia. In the 1st book Lily started blanking Mia cause of her makeover although Mia never did anything to her and didn't hang around with the popular crowd. The worst case was the 5th book where she basically ditched Mia for a guy and started being rude to her calling her in so many words dumb. Then when she realizes her old boyfriend is with someone else she comes crying back to Mia. I think Mia is way too nice to Lily. I empathize with her sometimes, but Lily seems like the type of girl that is difficult to get on with.

Live life, love life give love
No day but today!
Forever Defying Gravity!

Yeah, a little bit.

I'm glad you said that. I have always thought she was mean to Mia. With Lilly as her friend no wonder Mia has such low self esteem. Lilly is a little bully

Lilly did admit that she "needed an attitude change."

If you think about it, a lot of teenagers are selfish. Not to stereotype or give her an excuse but I'm 15 and I have plenty of friends that are selfish, too. She was one of the few that "saw her when she was invisible," too.
My best friend acts the same way. We went to different high schools and she was afraid she was losing me acted the same way til I talked to her about it.

THE place for Underworld:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/Lycan_the_Underworld/

I don't think it was so much selfishness as it was jealousy.

I don't like Lilly at all. She was not very nice to Mia. She should have said something like "you look great" (since she did) after she got the makeover but instead she just bitched at her the whole time.

And when they're going up the hill and Mia is a bit upset about her father and Lilly just says "its been 3 months, I thought you got over that". I immediately thought BITCH! You don't say something like that, even though she hadn't met him, he was still her father. Clarice arriving obviously brought all that back up. Lilly is mean, selfish and insensitive. Mia wasn't perfect but most of the time she didn't deserve being treated the way Lilly treated her. I don't care if she admits she "needs an attitude adjustment," no one wants to be treated that way by their best friend.

Post deleted

I've always thought this! She's so self obsessed it really winds me upshe's so annoying too.
X

I thought Lilly was selfish, yes, but on purpose, to reflect a teenage girl with her strong opinions and quirkiness - so I didn't mind it. It was realistic. The movie would have been fairly straight forward and bland if it had the same old supportive-best-friend storyline, who doesn't seem to have a life or opinions of her own.

However

when they're going up the hill and Mia is a bit upset about her father and Lilly just says "its been 3 months, I thought you got over that". I immediately thought BITCH! You don't say something like that, even though she hadn't met him, he was still her father.

This! That was a horrible thing to say. It kind of reminded me of Gossip Girl, which we know is full of selfish teenage brats we love to hate, when (GG spoiler) Chuck Bass' dad dies. At a party, Chuck is still moping, and some of Blair's minions are discussing why he's so miserable. Someone says 'didn't his dad just die?' and another goes 'yeah, like, a month ago.' I'm paraphrasing slightly, but you get the gist.

I just thought Lilly was an intense person, but really supportive and understanding once she learned the full truth.

At this point, I'm also thinking Lilly was a little insecure. After all, before Mia discovered her royal ties, she was an outcast, and most likely became friends with Lilly since she was also an outcast. It just happened that Mia was able to change; but Lilly remained an outcast, only to get upset when Mia was becoming "too good" for her. Also, she probably was more upset that she was losing a friend,as some may have already mentioned, since she'd have no one else once Mia became popular. She was fairly lonely without Mia.

That is true about teenagers being selfish. However, even insecure older adults can still be that way also.

If you thought she was selfish in the movie, you should read about that b*tch in the book!

She's awful.

Post deleted

Post deleted

That's how I read her too. If Mia changes, she will probably be more accepted by the larger crowdleaving Lilly behind. Lilly probably feels this. Mia's change is a threat to her.

Yes, definitely. But I'd take it a step further and say that Lilly was bitchy at times. What really stuck out to me was when Lilly said to Mia about her father dying "it's been what like 2 months, I thought you'd be over it". That was a terrible thing to say!

It's Like He Knew That I Am Fragile
He Handled Me Like Glass

- Glass by Gavin DeGraw love1.gif

Lilly is by far my least favorite part of this movie. She's horrible to Mia.

www.comfybrowncouch.blogspot.com

Well think of it this way. Neither of them are very popular or attractive at the start. Wouldn't you be scared if one of your few friends (your best one at that) suddenly became beautiful, and on top of that, a princess? Wouldn't you worry that you might not be good enough for her anymore and might end up alone?

While Lilly should've been more supportive I think her reaction was natural.

Oh absolutely she was selfishgloriously, self-aggrandizing so.

Then when Mia becomes the hero, Mia still loves and respects her friend.

It is the perfect story device to show Mia's character and integrity, and why Mia will be a great royal.

not really she was just upset she was losing her best friend. i think anyone would act that way!

No, I would never, ever act that way.

Lilly was rude, bitchy and a horrible friend when she said all that crap about Mia's hair. They've been friends long enough that Lilly should know that Mia wouldn't become the "bitch" Lilly was making her out as.

And when Lilly said Mia should've been over her fathers death, I wanted to punch her in the throat. Not meeting him doesn't mean he wasn't her father. Didn't he even send her birthday cards? (I could be confusing this with another movie, though). You never say that to your supposed "best friend."

Toy Story 3 - 1000000/10 (basically)

You got to remember they are also 15 year old girls- not adults and certainly not mature.

I have read the books and Lily is worse in them!

She does apologize later and admit she was jealous- which I think is important :)

I hated Lily! She was such a witch!

No I don't think so.

The Princess M

Yes I agree- she was a million times worse in the books- the movie Lily is TAME compared to the book one.

Lily was a good friend and all but she was rather selfish towards Mia. I understand that she felt that Mia might have been conforming because she got a makeover and all. However I think Lily was jealous because her friend was the pretty one and she was ugly. I guess she secretly wished that she had the looks.

Agree with most of you. Yes, Lily is selfish in the movies, but in the books she is completely and totally insufferable. I could NEVER understand why Mia is always hanging around with her, except for out of habit. It's not she's even a fun rude person. She's just rude, and mean, and annoying.

Lily admitted that she has an attitude problem.

I thought Lilly was a bitch to say she looks ridiculous she should sue when she had her makeover.

And when Lilly said Mia should've been over her fathers death, I wanted to punch her in the throat. Not meeting him doesn't mean he wasn't her father. Didn't he even send her birthday cards? (I could be confusing this with another movie, though). You never say that to your supposed "best friend."

That bit bothered me aswell, I know she never met her Dad but do you really get over losing a friend or family member?

That scenetalking about Mia's dadis ridiculous. Poorly handled exposition=bad writing. Its sole purpose in the movie is to let us know:

A. Mia's dad is dead.
B. His died only two months ago.
C. Despite not being around, he was still a loving father (the presents he sent her, paying for her school tuition etc)

But it was done so awkwardly. Even Mia saying, "Well, at least your dad's still alive" was stupid. Who says that? Characters that need to inform the audience of their father's death. Especially if their father's death is integral to the plot.

Also it made Lilly look even worse than she already did. OF COURSE Mia wouldn't be over her dad's death after only TWO MONTHS, and you're a jerk for saying that. But we needed to know how long he'd been dead.

A young girl passes / in a hurry. Hair uncombed. / Full of black devils. Kelly Link

Yes, but she admitted it and apologized.

Well, it was pretty obvious that Lily was jealous. Plain and simple.

Post deleted

Well, yes. That was the whole premise of that scene. That's why it was there.

But I mean, if your best friend suddenly became heir to a throne, or won the lottery, or had some other stroke of brilliant fortune, I doubt most of us could help being jealous and envious a bit, and it would slip out at some point.

All that being said, Lilly is super annoying, and so is that actress.

I never really liked Lilly in the books or movies. She was a jerk to several people including her first boyfriend and Mia in the books.

If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now.-Loki (Marvel's Avengers)