Epic and Disaster : The poseidon adventure: good or bad?

The poseidon adventure: good or bad?

Just had to ask.

My movie blog! http://the-forgotten-reel.blogspot.com/

Re: The poseidon adventure: good or bad?

The original is first rate. A true classic.

Visit me at: www.JimVinesTheWriter.com

The original is a thoroughly enjoyable romp with a great cast of stars and is mostly responsible for a half century of disaster movies that followed.

Gene Hackman and Ernest Borgnine go at it tooth and nail, Shelly Winters takes a classic swim and Carol Lynley stumbles through the entire film on the verge of an hysterical breakdown.

The film expertly balances the preposterous with the engrossing and is a must for all fans of the disaster genre.

To God There Is No Zero. I Still Exist.

It's an excellent film. The remake isn't bad, but the original is better in many ways.

"It's not my fault!"

The "remake" isn't a remake

The 1972 movie is thoroughly enjoyable!

There are 2 movies with that name, both based on the same book, plus a recent movie just called "Poseidon", which was initially also called "The Poseidon Adventure". Each has his owns strengths and weaknesses.

One of them is considered a classic, the 1972 movie.
Imho it is a good movie, because it focuses on the characters in the situation.
Some special effects looked bad even back then, but the sets and interiors are great.

The opening scenes of the 1972 film are extremely silly, but once the disaster hits it's a fun ride, with cool special effects for the time, and I agree it's the best of the '70s disaster films.

I saw the 2006 remake and frankly don't remember much about it. There was also a 2005 TV remake that was awful.

"Get on board, dick."

I liked both films. One thing that bugged me about the original was that the Captain had plenty of time to react to the oncoming wave but took no action until the last second. At least in the new version the wave came out of nowhere with no time to react.

I always found it a little campy. The newer one was better IMO.

We are talking about the original right? Otherwise just watch Titanic again.

"Don't buy the books I wrote https://sites.google.com/site/authorschindler/"

The original is very good. Gene Hackman does a fine job.

"50, count 'em 50, ambassadors will definitely appear at the peace conference."

It's good. I rate it 7/10.

Volker Flenske: (While torturing David) I don't know why you're doing this to yourself!

The original is one of my favorite films.

I've always liked it, but as others have said, it is a little campy. I've always thought "adventure" makes it sound a bit Indianna Jones - Poseidon disaster, anyone?

The 1972 original is quite good, suspenseful and tragic. Didn't much care for how Ernest Borgnine and Gene Hackman were going at each other all the time (it wasn't enough to have the ship capsized and sinking, they had to add the human element), but storytelling is drama, and that made for good drama. Also, hated how Gene Hackman as the preacher, in Christ-like fashion, sacrificed himself at the end by falling into the boiling hot water. Couldn't someone have thrown him a rope or something and he swung over to the ledge? I really liked that guy!

Having watched my brother die of cancer in real life, I could really feel the pain of the characters who lost loved ones in the quest to get up to the engine room, where the hull was only one inch thick...

It's an excellent and damn exciting film.

You've seen Guy Standeven in something since the man was in everything.

I watched it for the first time only in the last few years and found it very well made, and, especially, given the year of its release (1972), moving. It's very good.

Very good film. Great cast. Compelling drama.