It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia : Gang Goes to a Water Park…Unfinished?

Gang Goes to a Water Park…Unfinished?

I've been mostly enjoying season 12 so far nothing spectacular, but still entertaining. But it really felt like the water park episode was missing an ending. Or is it just me?

The Dennis plotline felt like it needed a third act, but just petered out with him saying, "Huh," which is very much not a Dennis-like response to getting one-upped.

Charlie didn't even seem to be a part of the closer.

The woman wondering where her son was seemed like a joke that needed a button, especially since it looked like that drowned kid must've, what?, just dissolved away in the pool?

And Mac sitting on the drain also seemed like it was a set-up without a punchline. That he would clearly get stuck and need help.

It felt like they had some good threads heading somewhere but just ran out of time to resolve them all in any satisfying way.

Re: Gang Goes to a Water Park…Unfinished?

You are enjoying this season "so far"? There have been only two episodes.

And the last episode bookended a joke set up at the beginning when Mac warned them not to stick their ass on the vent thing. So as a joke, it had a beginning, middle and payoff. I liked the episode mainly because it was clear the cast was having fun and a day at the water park. That is infectious.

The first episode of the seasoj felt way too lazy and forced.

How many episodes does it take before someone can say "so far"? There's only ten a season. I think once you get through 20% of anything a movie, pizza, orgy you get to say "so far" when you talk about how you think it's going. What phrase would you use?

Mac Joke: he kept warning them not to because of the danger that's the beginning then he sits on it because he's gay and likes the feeling that's the middle explain to me what the payoff is. His grin before the credits? The payoff usually refers to the set-up Mac talking about how dangerous it is. I thought they were going to cut to the gang in the hospital asking a bedridden Mac how his own intestines tasted when he chewed through them, and him saying, "Not bad, actually." Or something other than what we got.

I agree the first episode felt forced, but I wouldn't call it lazy. Other than the "it was all a dream" ending. That's the ultimate in lazy writing. Otherwise, the acting and singing was all pretty much the opposite of lazy.

I think Mac was really lying to them and just liked the feeling of the drains.

Bingoto me the joke is to warn everyone that it could hurt you, so there would be no one around to do it when he very clearly was going to enjoy it himself.

Do you think the joke in this episode concerning Mac and the suction drain was possibly another related dig at his 'hidden' homosexual tendencies and desires?

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist" - H.G. Wells

An "it was all a dream" ending isn't lazy if it's done as a joke. There's no way the episode would have worked if it weren't a dream. The show isn't fantasy. The first episode felt in no way forced, to me. It was incredibly creative and clever.

As for the second episode, I also felt it ended suddenly and seemed a little unfinished. I thought it was one of the show's weakest episodes. It surprised me at first that many people seemed to like the second episode much better than the first, but I suppose for some people jokes about AIDS and piss are funnier than a musical about social issues.

Oh come on now, simply because a particular episode may involve some form of social satire/observation doesn't automatically make it any more superior or clever to one that's just good old fashion fun with no underlying social theme contained in it. It's somewhat snobbish to believe that it does make it better IMO..

"A cynic is what an idealist calls a realist" - H.G. Wells

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

I respectfully disagree. No matter how it's used for humor or whatever the "it was all a dream" trope is the absolute laziest well for writers to draw from. It means you don't have to worry about loose ends, plot holes, inconsistent characters, nonsensical story lines, or weak dialogue because, hey, it was all a dream. Even when it's done effectively, say in JACOB'S LADDER or BRAZIL, it's still a pretty big rip-off. I remember thinking that much when I was ten and watched THE WIZARD OF OZ for the first time. "It was all a freaking dream? Boo!"

Think of it this way: whenever a friend tells you he had this crazy dream he wants to tell you about, most of the time, if you're not in it, you don't care. Ask most people, and they'll say the same. No one is interested in your dreams. So why make an entire movie/TV show about one?

Yeah I agree with you. Not sure what that other guy's problem is. I thought the ending was a bit abrupt. It seemed like the last two minutes were cut out or something. It was like if the last episode ended when Charlie got shot and cut out the last scene of Old Black Man waking up. I still enjoyed this episode though.

I think you might be right, and this episode was cut down. The full running time of the episode was under 18 minutes, whereas last week's was closer to 22.

It was an abrupt ending and the episode felt incomplete.

The ending was my favorite part of the episode. The ending was abrupt, but that was by design, it was a hilariously chaotic note to end on. Also, the lady looking for her son did not need to be resolved any further, it was just a quick Jaws reference.

Agreed. I said halfway through the episode there's been more commercials than show time.

The payoff is that he was basically warning everyone just so he could have the thing for himself, and that the whole thing is a hoax, i mean the pools i went as a kid never had such strong suction that would harm me, maybe some pools are indeed dangerous just never went to one.

The episode did feel short, and thats because it was, only 17 minutes. But it didn't feel incomplete although i wanted a lot more of that, good episode.

I am utterly insane but that doesn't mean i don't sense make.

Post deleted

This message has been deleted.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pool+drain+suction
No, it's real. Not the "chewed through her intestines to break free" part, but the intestinal injury part.

In fact, she died.

<*>

it did end kind of abruptly but the episode was funny as hell anyway.

Libera te tu temet ex inferis.
pro ego sum diabolus, pro ego sum nex.

Just an FYI.
That woman 'has anyone seen my son!?!' is a reference to Jaws.
This is the woman in question
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pReEWz7oo/VYxy18YIVZI/AAAAAAAAoFc/f3_lp4HIcY8/s1600/Picture%2B21.png
Mac didn't get 'stuck', he's 'probably' gay, and really enjoyed his situation, look at his happy face.
Denis didn't need a third act, he's a sociopath, but even he's not monster enough to get revenge on a little girl, you know he admires her skills.
And Charlie he set the the whole thing up

Dennis is a sociopath but wouldn't get revenge on a little girl? That's the definition of a sociopath, someone for whom traditional morals don't apply. And he's never shown any moral restraint.

Mac enjoying the drain can't be the punchline. He is most certainly gay, as the show has made abundantly clear, and the first time he brings up the drains, it's very very obvious it's because he had experience with them and likes them. So it's not much of a reveal when he goes to sit on one.

I didn't mind the abrupt ending, but the shorter runtime was a bit of a drag. For a show that's only 22 minutes, cutting 4 minutes out feels fairly significant.