John Wick: Chapter 2 : What action movies should learn from the John Wick franchise

What action movies should learn from the John Wick franchise

Leaving John Wick: Chapter 2, audiences are sure to feel exhilarated if not a bit overwhelmed after a non-stop action ride with Keanu Reeves as their stoic tour guide. It moves at breakneck speed, but director Chad Stahelski doesn’t do so by the same means most modern action helmers operate. Like the first installation, there’s a deliberate effort to make each shot last as long as possible. Most other actioners are focused on cutting on action, taking away from the spectacle. http://www.cutprintfilm.com/features/john-wick-action-movies/

Re: What action movies should learn from the John Wick franchise

Christopher McQuarrie, who directed Mission Impossible 5 and is the first director to do two in a row in the series (he's doing 6) is of the same cloth, hopefully this catches on more because ADHD editing and shaky cam are the worst things to happen to movies since ADR not matching shots from the back of an actor's head when you can clearly see the jaw not moving (and taking away the phone from the side of your head when you clearly haven't finished talking yet).

Chris McQuarrie says the following:

QUESTION: I want to start by talking about your visual style, because one of the things I really like about both Rogue Nation and Jack Reacher is the classicism that both movies exhibit. They remind me almost of Minnelli movies from the Fifties and Sixties in the way you use the ’scope frame and let the scenes play out in wide masters for as long as possible. It’s not a style that’s entirely in fashion in contemporary blockbusters, most of which I find kind of suffocating.

McQUARRIE: Well, the first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.” Then you have to find ways of infusing the shot with energy and excitement, and ask yourself what you can do to sustain the shot so that you’re not relying on staccato editing—because I know what you’re talking about when you say you feel suffocated. It has to do with two things: you don’t know where you are, and you’re not being given the time to make that determination.

http://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interview-christopher-mcquarrie/

ALL the pg13 action movie, they're all soft

Of course they are, they are unable to show the art of killing in its brutal true form.